Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Advice on Indoor Trainer to use with Track/Single Speed Bike...

• 21-03-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I want to get an indoor trainer to use with my Specialized Langster (set up in single speed).

Was originally thinking of getting an exercise bike but it seems to make a lot more sense to use my bike with a trainer if its possible.

Was looking at the Tacx Satori:

http://www.tacx.com/en/producten/fietstrainers/satori-blue/index.dot

My concen is this. Will it work ok with track bike with bolts instead of with a road bike setup, and how do you attach it?

Some of them seem to involve skewers which wont suit.

Its hard to tell with the Satori:

T1860_Satori_Blue_Saxo_195x146_large.jpg

I'm looking for something that will be able to grip the bolt on both sides of my wheel and will only take a few seconds to set up, do not want to have to remove back wheel or anything.

This seems specifically for track:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31106

But I'd much prefer to have the resistance options of the Satori, especially as I'm on a single speed.

Plus I can imagine falling off the roller one in my living room after an exhausting cycle, would rather not worry about balancing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh and A lot of them talk about using a special tyre for the rear? Would I be ok using my standard tyres: Conti Gatorskins 25c?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Tacx do Axle Nuts specially designed to fit into the turbo well, they are not expensive. Note you will be fine with a single speed but they advise not to use a fixed bike due to the risk of inadvertent braking (apparently this damages the turbo.)

A1101.jpg

You could leave these nuts on for the road and use the same wheel but there is a chance you would wear through your tyres very quickly. Gatorskins are hard enough, you could always give it a go and see. You would also need to ensure the wheel was clean or you would splatter muck everywhere.

Ideally you need a separate turbo tyre. Best to get a spare wheel with the tyre on as they are very difficult to mount (much more than a normal tyre.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for the advice.

I found this chap here who has managed to get it to work with his Langster:
    http://born2bike.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/track-frame-fits-tacx-sirius/

Think it only works with the Sirus trainer as opposed to the trainer I was looking at but they are similar enough.

As I said before I'm only likely to use this if I can just clip in to the trainer. If I have to go changing wheels it become more trouble than going for a ride.

Are these things very tough on tyres?

I suppose I could try it with my gatorskins and see how I get on.

Thanks again for the advice.

It is almost certainly going to be easier just going for a ride outdoors than getting the trainer set up.

Trainers are also utterly utterly soul destroying like you would not believe. Getting to 60 minutes on one is like doing the W200. Worse.

To be honest it is coming into summer so you may want to rethink it. I had high plans for mine but I would prefer to go out in the dark, wind and rain frankly.

You sweat like an absolute pig and to be honest comparing HR averages they are much lower on the trainer than even an easy spin outside, I don't know if it has as much benefit... it is so painful and boring you would certainly hope it does.

Thanks again for the reply.

I suspect you might be right about the trainer being very boring.

I cycle for commuting purposes but am looking for something for purely cardio exercise purposes.

I'm also looking for something I can do quickly in about 30 mins at home after work in the evenings. Have been doing some jogging but have ankle problems which makes this not a good long term option. Due to same problems I can't jog fast/long enough to get a good workout.

The exercise bike/trainer option seems a good one in that I can just get on it, do my 30 mins and get some good exercise. But as you say it will be mind numbingly boring.

The alternative for no impact home exercise I was thinking of is a Concept 2 rower, but they are much more expensive that rather than throw down on one of them only to find I don't use it I reckon the trainer is the cheaper way to see if I will stick with boring exercise at home.

All very confusing, I know...

Think I'll go ahead and get the trainer and nuts, seems to be £142 delivered which is pretty decent.

Soon to be appearing on eBay if my will power is not strong enough:)

The whole pop on for 30 mins was my intention too but fat lot of good that did. You will need to factor in setup and a shower afterwards so it will be substantially longer... To the extent that to get value out of it I would try doing an hour, hard though it is. I don't need to shower after most cycles at less than a killer pace (I do 45 mins every lunchtime at a decent pace) but by god you will need to after using a trainer.

Keep an eye out on the Cycling Adverts forum, a fair few have popped up recently at very low prices. If there isn't one now stick up a wanted ad, lots of people will be selling them at the end of the winter, it is not exactly prime time to be buying a trainer so you should be able to get a good deal.

At least that way you keep your risk low.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks again for all the advice.

Final question:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43717

Its the 10mm nuts I need and not the other 3/8 ones right?

Thanks

Google seems to suggest probably 3/8"; I have a Tricross myself but I honestly don't know. At least if you buy from CRC it is cheap to return them if necessary. I didn't know there were two standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regarding the soul destroying nature of the turbo, I honestly find it fine although it's an acquired taste. When I started cycling 15 years ago, I found it hell, but I was a student at the time and had no reason not to just go out and cycle my bike.

Now I have a family I only get to go out once or twice a week, opportunities which I save for racing, but I can turbo as much as I like/need to once the kids are in bed. With the right entertainment setup (TV for lower intensity, iPod for higher intensity) 45-60 minutes passes quickly enough, and you can get a decent amount of intensity in that time, to dizzy/wobbly levels anyway (Blorg probably needs about three hours to get to that point).

It did take a few weeks before I stopped hating it, probably adjusting to the lack of wind cooling, and it's getting more difficult now my kitchen temperature is rising and the evenings are getting lighter.

Still, I love my turbo. There, I said it.

blorg wrote: »
    Google seems to suggest probably 3/8"; I have a Tricross myself but I honestly don't know. At least if you buy from CRC it is cheap to return them if necessary. I didn't know there were two standards.

Thanks, I actually have a different wheelset on the Langster than stock:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Miche_X-Press_Road~Track_Bike_Wheels/5360040681/

So not sure if that'll make a difference?

At a complete guess I would say they are likely 10mm, Miche are Italian. I'd ask Wiggle, they are good at answering the questions usually.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I've asked Wiggle, bought the wheels from there. Will order from CRC in any case as they are much easier to send stuff back to if there is a problem.

I've also just realised I'll need a different computer as the one I bought recently is not going to work on the back wheel.

Most of the rear mountable ones seem quite pricey, will keep looking.

Thanks again for all the help, its much appreciated.

Not sure what computer you have but you can get a rear mount kit for Cateye for the same price as a front mount kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

It is almost certainly going to be easier just going for a ride outdoors than getting the trainer set up.

Trainers are also utterly utterly soul destroying like you would not believe. Getting to 60 minutes on one is like doing the W200. Worse.

To be honest it is coming into summer so you may want to rethink it. I had high plans for mine but I would prefer to go out in the dark, wind and rain frankly.

You sweat like an absolute pig and to be honest comparing HR averages they are much lower on the trainer than even an easy spin outside, I don't know if it has as much benefit... it is so painful and boring you would certainly hope it does.

Wuss.

Turbos are not boring, turbos are as interesting as you can make the sessions and they are always useful regardless of the weather as there are some sessions that just cannot be done on the road.

HR averages may be lower on the trainer for you because you are doing fcuk all work on the trainer? I see the same correlation between wattage and HR on the trainer and outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not sure what computer you have but you can get a rear mount kit for Cateye for the same price as a front mount kit.

Plus as its a single speed all you need is a cadence monitor and that will do it :)

tunney wrote: »
    HR averages may be lower on the trainer for you because you are doing fcuk all work on the trainer?
    Possibly, but for a given HR average on the trainer perceived effort is substantially higher. Find it a lot easier to sustain a hard effort on the road.

Thanks guys,

My computer (have yet to take it out the box) is this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7370

The wireless range is only 40cm so I don't think it'd make it to the back wheel.

I might just get one of these which looks like it will do the trick and sell my current one:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_Strada_Cadence_Cycle_Computer/5360029333/

Just wanted to come back to this to say thanks.

Got the Sirius and 10mm axle nuts from CRC, needed a few washers to get it to fit just right but I'm now up and running on the turbo trainer. Easy to attach up, only takes a few seconds so hopefully I'll stick to using it now.

Agree with the comments about getting sweaty quickly, will need a fan once it gets hotter.

The only minor downside is the resistance, I run a fairly tough ratio on my single speed so its pretty tough going on the turbo trainer even in the lower resistance settings. Will just have to get stronger I guess.

Finally, I need a computer that can attach to the rear wheel:

This one says it will do the trick but its expensive.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_Strada_Cadence_Cycle_Computer/5360029333/

Would I be able to attach any old cheap wired computer to the rear wheel if the wire is long enough or do I need a particular rear one?

Thanks again for all the help with this.

Regarding the difficulty, maybe consider what tyre pressure (should be very high, on a narrow tyre) and that you don't have the resistance unit jammed on too much. On my one the general rule of thumb is 110PSI, just contacting and then turn the knob three turns.

On lower resistance you really shouldn't be finding it difficult at all, should be able to spin fine.

Regarding the computer you just need a longer wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Just on a completely different tangent, I regularly cruise the free stuff sections of the internet, namely freecycle.org, the free stuff section of gumtree.ie and the free stuff section of adverts.ie, and about once a week someone is giving away one of those cycling machine things (no, not a bicycle! - you know, the excercise machine type ones are what I'm referring to) for free if you're willing to go pick it up.

€0 cost implication, and you don't have to mess with your bike.

Just a consideration..

Thanks for the reply Blorg.

Possibly related to my using the Turbo trainer over the weekend but my freewheel broke this morning on my way to work (ie its now freewheeling in both directions).

Am not sure if this is to do with my usage of the trainer. I had the tyres up to 110 psi while using it and tried to have the wheel not that tightly pressed against the trainer.

Am somewhat bitter as (a) it was a 15t freewheel that was very hard to find, (b) it takes a freewheel removal tool I dont have to take off and (c) I'll be on the Dublin Bikes or cycling fixed gear till I fix it.

• Advertisement

I have a freewheel removal tool if you want to borrow one- Donnybrook or Sandyford.

Presuming your ratio is 42-15 that is certainly nothing crazy that it should be hard to push. My point about the resistance is that the lower resistance on a trainer should be similar to a flat road if not a slight downhill. Indeed probably easier due to the lack of wind resistance. So if you can spin your gear ratio on a flat road but not the trainer it really suggests something is wrong with your setup.

Trainer should certainly not break your freewheel unless again you are doing something wrong; hard to imagine what though!

Thanks for the kind offer blorg, that's very generous of you. I might as well get the tool, worth having it.

The freewheel is this one:
    http://harriscyclery.net/product/ac-racing-singlespeed-freewheel-1094.htm

It uses a Shimano BB removal tool.

Now CRC are out of the Shimano one:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=689

But I think this might do the trick:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=680

This seems to suggest it will:
    http://www.bikemagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/utn/40905/v/1/cp/1/

Or perhaps I need this one:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17704

Any suggestions, let me know. If I get it sent today I might be able to get it by Thursday.

Thanks

Advertisement