Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop locally or not..

Options
  • 21-03-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I was shopping in Letterkenny yesterday for the first time in ages, I normally shop online. I was shocked by the lack of please and thank you that I got from the staff in these shops that I was in, staff seemed to be put out at the fact they had to stop chatting with their friends to serve me or else continued their conversations while dumping my items into a bag and my change on to the counter

I would understand if I was in a 'big' city but somewhere like Letterkenny where I have grown up I was just shocked. I was looking forward to shopping as I had a bit of money saved up and hadnt been around the shops in a long time but after being in so many shops where I felt like I was an 'inconvenience' really dampened the mood and I ended up going home after a couple of hours

We are all encouraged to shop local but I think I'll stick to shopping online in future

These were the worst offenders
    Penneys
    Boots (not the main street one)
    Argos
    Warehouse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

I couldn't agree more. Every time I go into certain stores in Letterkenny, I get the same unfriendly and impatient attitude from some of the point of sale staff. I was in Dunnes one day when two of the girls at the checkout were complaining loudly and openly, about how hungover they were from the night before, and how one girl didn't get home until after 4am, she announced this openly... meanwhile Im standing in a line of people who are probably all listening to this too. It looks and sounds desperate.... the caked-on make-up and exaggerated gum chewing, makes the whole place look trashy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

nonsmoker wrote: »
    I was shopping in Letterkenny yesterday for the first time in ages, I normally shop online. I was shocked by the lack of please and thank you that I got from the staff in these shops that I was in, staff seemed to be put out at the fact they had to stop chatting with their friends to serve me or else continued their conversations while dumping my items into a bag and my change on to the counter

I would understand if I was in a 'big' city but somewhere like Letterkenny where I have grown up I was just shocked. I was looking forward to shopping as I had a bit of money saved up and hadnt been around the shops in a long time but after being in so many shops where I felt like I was an 'inconvenience' really dampened the mood and I ended up going home after a couple of hours

We are all encouraged to shop local but I think I'll stick to shopping online in future

These were the worst offenders
    Penneys
    Boots (not the main street one)
    Argos
    Warehouse

:rolleyes:

They sell ****, you buy it, why do you need anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

A little customer service goes a long way. You're right, we don't 'need' anything else, but they need their jobs, their employers need our custom and, at the end of the day, we can and do go elsewhere where we can get that little bit extra - often for quite a big bit less in monetary terms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Support your local shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Support your local shop!
    Who are you?

Victor Fisher!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

No, I am not he

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Who are you?

Victor Fisher!

lol

So I'm not the only one who thinks shops in L'kenny could do better with customer relations! Jeez you'd think it was an honour for most of them to serve you!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Becuase it there bloody jobs to that's why.

If I had a business and I seen some of the attitude you get in Ireland from

the service industry I would tell them were to go. I have been to plenty of

other countries and I don't see the same crap service.

People here are not trained. And don't know how to deal with customers.

It's usually "what do you want"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

It's usually "what do you want"[/QUOTE]

If your lucky:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Funny how peoples experience can be so different. A few months ago myself and the missus were back up at home and I was dragged happy to go shopping in a few of the shops along by Marks and Spencer. Without exception every single worker we met was polite, friendly and helpful. Both my wife and I commented on it later and I was even tempted to stick a post up here about it.

I'm not questioning that you had a bad experience however not all people in customer service in Letterkenny should be tarred with the same brush. I'd be happy that the town isn't the worst (nor the best) in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

lamai wrote: »
    It's usually "what?? do you want"

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I have to agree with lamai on this as I've been in Finland for some years now and, even though Finns don't generally come across as friendly, it's a much friendlier service than some of the shops I've visited in recent years while back home in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

NI sells ****, we buy it, get nicer customer service up there, I'd rather pay my cash up there than to some local git who ignores me while chatting to their friend instead of scanning my items in.

I was gonna buy a toddler bed online when I noticed argos were doing it for half price a while back. It worked out the same price as online when del was incl. so I went into Argo to pick it up. Ignorant manager and staff made me tell him to leave it there, I'd rather pay online and wait a few days than spend my cash to keep some tossers in a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Domscard wrote: »
    A little customer service goes a long way. You're right, we don't 'need' anything else, but they need their jobs, their employers need our custom and, at the end of the day, we can and do go elsewhere where we can get that little bit extra - often for quite a big bit less in monetary terms!

I go to the cheapest place, even if everyone who works there is a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Rude staff is a real pet hate of mine, there's currently about 5 shops in letterkenny that i wont go near, just because the staff are either ignorant, rude or just plain unhelpful. But there are shops i will walk/drive that extra distance to, just because the staff are friendly and professional.

A shop i was never in in my life till 6 months ago is Andy's in Stranorlar, but because the staff are very pleasant and always take the time to chat, i actually go there quite regularly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Senna wrote: »
    Rude staff is a real pet hate of mine, there's currently about 5 shops in letterkenny that i wont go near, just because the staff are either ignorant, rude or just plain unhelpful. But there are shops i will walk/drive that extra distance to, just because the staff are friendly and professional.

A shop i was never in in my life till 6 months ago is Andy's in Stranorlar, but because the staff are very pleasant and always take the time to chat, i actually go there quite regularly now.

while you are chatting is someone behind you thinking about posting here because they are kept waiting?:D

my pet hate is the chewing of gum while being served. girl in Tesco's customer service a prime offender. Would have thought the managers would frown upon this practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Perhaps the answer to this would be the Managers putting some sort of comment box or suggestion box in the shops and actually read the comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Used to work in a pub and Managment and barstaff alike were always telling the lounge girls to stop chewing gum. If you have to talk to a customer at all, even just to take a drink order, then don't chew gum. It's disgusting and gives a very very bad impression. Customer Service staff should be told this by managment and warned about losing their job because of it, bet they'd stop pretty quick then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

ootbitb wrote: »
    while you are chatting is someone behind you thinking about posting here because they are kept waiting?:D

i think you have to be at least 70 years old (or female:D) to chat long enough to hold up the cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Senna wrote: »
    i think you have to be at least 70 years old (or female:D) to chat long enough to hold up the cue.

lol, diplomacy not your strong point obviously. I love boards because it is so politically incorrect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement