Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this vs Aldi Pc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Depends, Aldi comes with Windows and is an all in one package. Self build on Komplett on the other hand has better case, better ram and better branded psu (one good enough to take a better gpu even). If it were me, I'd opt for self built, even though it'll work out more expensive when You add in the software, card reader, dvd drive etc to bring it up to the Aldi spec. The added bonus of building yourself is that You'd know everything about each component You put in it and You get a better warranty on most parts

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

I call this one, the Aldi Beater.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787171&su=827DCDFA-3B09-499D-B372-B61CFBC24809

Everything the Aldi PC has to offer and for 20euro less.

You may notice that I have not included an OS in that list. For obvious reasons I won't even bother stating why.

But there you go.

Your call of course. I had a Medion Desktop PC for a good few years. They're solid machines and I would recommend them to people but if you have the knowledge to throw your own rig together, then go for it. You won't regret it!

*Edit: here's another build (AMD based) that offers everything the Medion does again while still being cheaper! http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787173&su=1C45FB56-8C3F-4504-BFDD-4AE20850E90D

OK, here's one last build that offers everything the Medion does while still being a little cheaper http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787175&su=894251BC-5005-4C3B-B84A-C1BDB2B7A220

I'd actually consider building the last one myself. I could buy the Medion too and run some benchmarks lol

Final Edit and build, I promise! Only just noticed you don't need a Hard Drive or DVD Drive! In that case, go for this -> http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787176&su=B259AF92-AB2C-4B13-8C32-A56A86FA4CD6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

thanks for the replies.

Is the list from your last list there alot better than my original list?

After reading some more reviews I was thinking of going with the my original list but a 5770 1gb graphics card rather than the one I had picked.

would that be a good or bad idea?

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You'll need to get up very early to get one of the Pcs if past offers are anything to go by, they usually use them as an incentive to get you in the door and many shops have only stocked one or two in the past.

I've heard of tickets being issued in the past and if you turn up on the day with no ticket you won't get the chance to buy. So it might be worth asking in store beforehand.

nd wrote: »
    Is the list from your last list there alot better than my original list?

Looking at them both now, they're fairly similar in terms of power. The Intel processor in comparisson to that AMD is supposedly about 7% faster. Not much really.

4GB DDR2 Ram versus 2GB DD3. I suppose the 2GB DDR3 makes more sense. It's more future proof as it is the lastest standard for memory.

The Intel PC I speced up there is also Socket-775 which is quite outdated at this stage and also soon to be unsupported. The latest Intel chipsets are Socket-1156 and just before that was Socket-1366.

The graphics card I chose would probably be better. It has 1GB video memory wheras yours had 512MB. When either version can be got for pretty much the same price, always take the extra video memory! They're both Dirext11 cards though and both fine choices. I prefer Asus ATI cards to Sapphire though and I've had both in the past.
    nd wrote: »
    After reading some more reviews I was thinking of going with the my original list but a 5770 1gb graphics card rather than the one I had picked.

would that be a good or bad idea?

Yes that would be a good system and a smart choice to make.

I decided to throw one more quick list together for you.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787587&su=0ED52A89-6784-43F7-89B1-CC1703591A81

Its a Intel Core i5 (Quad Core) socket 1156. Excellent Asus 1156 motherboard (it has a VGA and HDMI output so you don't even need a graphics card but obviously you can still add one in). I have the Asus P7P55D motherboard and it really is excellent. This one is off the same product line, newer than mine in fact, only its form factor is m-ATX. Doesn't make any difference though.

The graphics card is ace, ASUS HD 5750 1GB (2 DVI, 1 HDMI). Another DirectX 11 card, it should do well against any recent game released or any game coming out for at least the next year or so. You'd probly get much more out of it than a year, I would!

2GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix RAM. Near identical to your ram from the first build. The Crucial memory should perform better than the memory you listed, it has lower latency timings of 7-7-7-24 as opposed to 9-9-9-24 and they both run at 1333Mhz speed. The crucial memory also manages to be a few euro cheaper!

The power supply is a 520Watt Modular design. So you only need to use the power cables that you need. This keeps the inside of the case a bit tidier & its better for airflow & cooling.

The Case is really up to you! I thought this one looked quite nice, I watched the video and it has some nice very nice features. With any case though, its all about if you like the look of it. Yours and this one both have excellent features etc so its up to you but I'd for this.

Total cost: e587.20 (You never really stated a budget so I just assumed if you were going to buy the Medion, you were willing to spend around e550)

Your build is fine though, the socket AM3 chipset is the current AMD chipset so upgrades wouldn't be an issue if you wanted new memory or a new CPU down the line.

This time though in terms of power, I'd definetly say without hesitation the Core i5 system would be better!

Let us know what you get anyway and good luck with whatever you decide to build! Pictures when its done :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Cavey wrote: »
    Excellent Asus 1156 motherboard (it has a VGA and HDMI output so you don't even need a graphics card

Like many of the boards for i-series Intel CPUs, beware that the on-board video outputs on this require integrated graphics on the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Cavey wrote: »
    I call this one, the Aldi Beater.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787171&su=827DCDFA-3B09-499D-B372-B61CFBC24809

Everything the Aldi PC has to offer and for 20euro less.

You may notice that I have not included an OS in that list. For obvious reasons I won't even bother stating why.

But there you go.

Your call of course. I had a Medion Desktop PC for a good few years. They're solid machines and I would recommend them to people but if you have the knowledge to throw your own rig together, then go for it. You won't regret it!

*Edit: here's another build (AMD based) that offers everything the Medion does again while still being cheaper! http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787173&su=1C45FB56-8C3F-4504-BFDD-4AE20850E90D

OK, here's one last build that offers everything the Medion does while still being a little cheaper http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787175&su=894251BC-5005-4C3B-B84A-C1BDB2B7A220

I'd actually consider building the last one myself. I could buy the Medion too and run some benchmarks lol

Final Edit and build, I promise! Only just noticed you don't need a Hard Drive or DVD Drive! In that case, go for this -> http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787176&su=B259AF92-AB2C-4B13-8C32-A56A86FA4CD6

The aldi PC includes the OS though, this is what makes it competitive..

Try to spec a PC that includes the OS at that price and I'll be impressed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The aldi PC includes the OS though, this is what makes it competitive..

Try to spec a PC that includes the OS at that price and I'll be impressed ;)

Plus burner and card reader and wireless N. Even ignoring the cost of the OS, I don't think I could self-build the Aldi spec for the same price. Then add on the value of my time (specing compatible parts, ordering, building, testing, etc.). And the Aldi comes with a 3-year warranty which by all accounts is excellent.

Wouldn't take me longer than 2 hours to get a new PC assembled (once I had all the parts). Bang on an OS (another hour tops) and off ya go.

I'm not saying the Medion isn't good value but a self built PC will always have better hardware because you know exactly what you've chosen for it. My old Medion really lacked in the PSU department and I had to replace the gfx card after a year because the fan melted off! The graphics card still worked but I couldn't use it for any gaming, system would overheat & reboot.

Especially that last list I put together (Core i5 build).
    MugsGame wrote:
    Like many of the boards for i-series Intel CPUs, beware that the on-board video outputs on this require integrated graphics on the CPU.

This is correct and the processor I chose (Intel Core i5-750) is sadly NOT compatible with the on board VGA & HDMI. However if he's going to be putting in a good graphics card like an ATI 5770 1GB, then it won't make any difference. You could always swap the Core i5-750 (Quad core) for a Core i5 Dual Processor i5-661 (Dual Core). This CPU is one euro cheaper and a newer design. It supports the onboard VGA & HDMI graphics for any socket 1156 H55 motherboard.

However, I'd stick with the Core i5-720, this is a more powerful CPU than the dual core i5-661. 2 cores can't compete with 4 tbh. It has has double the amount of L3 cache (8MB in comparison to 4MB). These things are always more important to consider than something like clock speeds.

Even if it means you won't have the onboard HDMI & VGA. You'll have 2 DVI and one HDMI from your ATI graphics card anyway.
    MugsGame wrote: »
    Plus burner and card reader and wireless N. Even ignoring the cost of the OS, I don't think I could self-build the Aldi spec for the same price. Then add on the value of my time (specing compatible parts, ordering, building, testing, etc.). And the Aldi comes with a 3-year warranty which by all accounts is excellent.

Ehh... I already posted this link but you may have missed it http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787175&su=894251BC-5005-4C3B-B84A-C1BDB2B7A220

This is a system with everything the Medion has (excluding OS obviously), it has DVD burner, card reader, wireless, case, 4gb ram, quad core cpu, Gigabyte motherboard., 1tb hard drive, 630watt psu and an asus ati 5570 1GB gfx card.

Here's another build for you to take a look at.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=787734&su=999DFACF-D623-4178-B7C0-5C3615F9620F

I know the final cost here comes to €610 (this is beccause I included an OS, remove the OS and the total cost shoots down to €518.76.)

Again this build features a card reader, wireless, dvd burner, 1tb hard drive, case, 520watt Modular power supply, AMD Quad Core, MSI motherboard, 2GB DDR3 RAM, Asus 5670 1GB gfx card and of course, the OS you all nagged me about. I chose Windows 7 Home premium 32bit (just because its the cheapest listed). I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and its really quite good.

Medion like any other OEM (Dell, HP etc) will always get the OS cheaper. They buy bulk licenses from M$ so while it costs us 92euro for this OS (very overpriced), it would only cost them about €25 (or maybe less).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

• Advertisement
Advertisement