Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transmission stops all other internet programs

Options
  • 21-03-2010 1:23pm

Hi Everyone

Just a quick question to see if theres anything I can do.

When I'm downloading torrents using Transmission, I cant do anything else online, no browsers work, MSN, Skype all stop working while Transmission is downloading.

It doesn't slow down, like you would expect, it totally stops.

This has been happening since we got UPC broadband in about a month ago.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

i've a snowleopard MCP aswell and don't have a problem while transmission is doing it's thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

Have u tried uTorrent or another torrent client?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Maybe try limiting your upload speed?

Strange

Yea, I tried uTorrent....same thing.

Uploads are limited to 1kb already.

The ODD odd time it does happen when I'm not downloading at all, whole internet slows down.

But when I use the net on my iPhone, its fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

But when I use the net on my iPhone, its fine.
    Just to clarify - When you are downloading a torrent on your Macbook and all internet traffic stops, is the iPhone also affected?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This happened to me when I switched to UPC, don't think it's a problem with Transmission. It only happens on my laptop, other users in the house can still browse as normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This happened to me when I switched to UPC, don't think it's a problem with Transmission. It only happens on my laptop, other users in the house can still browse as normal.
    Did you try switching off your Mac's firewall? And does it happen with other torrent clients?

Yea, when dowloading torrents, it stops Internet for all programs on the mac. But when I use iPhone it's fine, so it must be something to do with the mac.

Turned off the firewall last week to see if it made a difference & it made no difference at all.

MagicMarker - were you able to change or do anything to improve or fix it? It was never a problem when I was on Three broadband, only now with UPC

Did you try reducing the number of connections in Transmission's peer preferences? I think it's 100 by default.

Did you try reducing the number of connections in Transmission's peer preferences? I think it's 100 by default.

Cheers

I'll give that a shot when I get home, but most downloads rarely go over 9/10 peers and I ususally only have 2 or so downloading at any given time, so it wouldnt have that much impact.

• Advertisement

Scratch that. It's a problem with UPC's Cisco router. It's been discussed on the last few pages of this thread on the broadband forum. The advice is to turn off the Cisco's ip flood protection.

Ahhhhh.....a mate did mention something along these lines.

Had planned on trying a different router if the problems persisted, but I'll give turning off the IP Flood Protection a shot first.

While I have you, If it doesn't work, would you recommend any other routers?

Ahhhhh.....a mate did mention something along these lines.

Had planned on trying a different router if the problems persisted, but I'll give turning off the IP Flood Protection a shot first.

While I have you, If it doesn't work, would you recommend any other routers?
    I don't know much about routers tbh. I use an Apple Airport Extreme station. They're a bit pricey though.

I don't know much about routers tbh. I use an Apple Airport Extreme station. They're a bit pricey though.

I got one when I got my first mac.....was useless at the time though because I used Three broadband, are they worth it & compatible with UPC?

are they worth it & compatible with UPC?
    Worth it? It depends. I've a rather old one. But the new ones have some nice features. Shared hard disk, 802.11n, etc.

Compatible? I've use mine with UPC without any problems.

Grwat! I'll give it a shot - Thanks a mill for all your help, much appreciated....my hair can now remain on my head rather than pulled out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rushdie

Currently have the same problem with Transmission. The problem only started when i started using the new Eircom Zyxel P-660HW-T1 with my Airport Extreme, so buying an Airport Extreme might not be the answer your looking for but they go for €120 in the refurb section on the Apple store so better than paying the full €160.

Rushdie wrote: »
    Currently have the same problem with Transmission. The problem only started when i started using the new Eircom Zyxel P-660HW-T1 with my Airport Extreme, so buying an Airport Extreme might not be the answer your looking for but they go for €120 in the refurb section on the Apple store so better than paying the full €160.

If you check out the recent posts on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334444&page=69

It sorts the problem with UPC and increases speed, might be the same for Eircom.

Rushdie wrote: »
    Currently have the same problem with Transmission. The problem only started when i started using the new Eircom Zyxel P-660HW-T1 with my Airport Extreme,
    Did you try putting the Zyxel in bridge mode? Two routers just creates a bunch of NAT problems.

Advertisement