Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticking sound coming from crank

• 21-03-2010 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

When pedalling, I'm getting a low ticking sound from the crank, although no problem changing gears. Could this be down to grit and be resolved by a degreaser or should I take it to a bike shop?

It's Shimano ultegra and half a year old.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Do you know how many KM you've done on it?

I've had a similar problem myself for quite a while and it's been getting worse. I took a good close look yesterday and now I think it's actually my right pedal that's at fault. I'm gonna change pedals tonight for a different pair to see if that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I've had this problem, and it annoyed the hell outta me for a while.

What'd I'd say it is - is that the screw that hold the chain rings on to the crankset need to be tightened. I went to LBS with the problem and the broke out some over sized allen key to do it! Apparently very high torques required!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Had something kinda similar a few weeks ago...got worse at low gears and under strain..I though it might have been the crank but turned out to be the rear derailleur allignment. Fixed it by alligning the chain and gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

I had this for a while, a few drops of oil into the pedal bearings (without even taking them off the bike) sorted it. Try that before you try anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Do you know how many KM you've done on it?

I've had a similar problem myself for quite a while and it's been getting worse. I took a good close look yesterday and now I think it's actually my right pedal that's at fault. I'm gonna change pedals tonight for a different pair to see if that's it.

Around 2,000km.

It's very hard to see where it's coming from, as it only happens under strain. If the bike is upside down and I spin the pedals, there is no ticking sound.

I'll look into the suggestions you have all made.

Thanks, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I had similar. The hollowtech Bottom Brackets can tend to work themselves a little loose. I would remove the BB, clean it, grease it up with some lithium grease, then tighten it. Fixed my problem anyway. Common thing with these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I had similar. The hollowtech Bottom Brackets can tend to work themselves a little loose. I would remove the BB, clean it, grease it up with some lithium grease, then tighten it. Fixed my problem anyway. Common thing with these.

I get this all the time with mine. Have to regrease mine at least every 2-3 months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

this is a useful link for tracking down the source of the noises.

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I had this too for a while and found that the right crank arm was hitting the tail end of the dérailleur cable! Doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Had the exact same issue, BB is probably loose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i had that problem for two years ,eventually found the problem after trying everything known to man ;)the hollowtech bottom bracket was cross threaded causeing it to creak on every turn of the peddal's.
    the only way i could fix the problem was to get a steel b/b and gently thread it in making new threads i then fitted a new b/b cups. job oxo.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

nitrogen wrote: »
    Around 2,000km.

I'd imagine that's low mileage for the BB to be gone so it's unlikely to be bust, but not impossible. As you can see here though, ticking when pedaling is a tricky one to figure out because of the number of components in this. A bit of loosening and re-tightening is probably a good thing to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

That linked article even tells tale of a tick on crank rotation that was fixed by greasing the seatpost! I had a very similar problem, turned out that my left-side crank-arm needed to be tightened - once it was on as tight as I could get it, the ticking went away :)

These kind of niggling mystery-problems can be so annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I've experienced a loose left crank on a few bikes and it always sounds (and feels) like the ticking you're describing. You can tell it's on the left side, though, you feel it in your foot.

From reading the responses here it sounds like just about anything can cause a ticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

What tool do I need for this? Do different cranks use different sizes of this tool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

A handy way to tell if a bottom bracket is loose or not is to put one of the crank arms up and parallell with the seat tube. using your hands if you can pull the crank arm in towards the seat tube then its loose and tighten it up. there should be no give in it, well nothing mad anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

72hundred wrote: »
    I've had this problem, and it annoyed the hell outta me for a while.

What'd I'd say it is - is that the screw that hold the chain rings on to the crankset need to be tightened. I went to LBS with the problem and the broke out some over sized allen key to do it! Apparently very high torques required!!!

I'd second this suggestion. My bike has this type clicking at the moment and I'm sure it's related to the chainset rings attached to the crank arm. Not the pedals (new), not BB (ISIS very hard wearing), not chain (overhauled/oiled).

BUT.... Any suggestions on keeping the nut backing in place while tightening the allen key front? Sometimes when turning the nut the backing moves too which is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hungrycol wrote: »
    BUT.... Any suggestions on keeping the nut backing in place while tightening the allen key front? Sometimes when turning the nut the backing moves too which is very annoying.
    There is a tool for holding them in place.

14305.jpg

I think some people have had luck with a flat screwdriver but may as well use the right tool for it.

Advertisement