Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy my first car in KK

Options
  • 21-03-2010 2:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, as some of you know, I'm learning to drive at the moment. I plan on doing my test in May and I'm looking to get my first car before the test. The problem is that I'm getting different advice from everyone, so I think ye guys deserve to be added to the confusion. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I was just wondering if ye could recommend a few good and cheap garages around Kilkenny and maybe a couple that wouldn't match up to the others? I'm looking at a couple up Castlecomer way which seem good for value.
    Thanks in advance

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 toopybinoo

hey. id advise not to buy from Riverside Cars in Castlecomer. I got ripped off from him, had the car 2 days, thermostat and head gasket went, after he'd assured me there wasnt one thing wrong with the car. He refused to give me back my money, so id avoid him!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Well here's a start, i've set this done deal page to list every car for sale in kilkenny,
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/cars/for-sale/Kilkenny/
    Without knowing your budget I can only advise that any car that has recently passed its NCT and has low millage can't be too bad.

As it will be your first car i'd also advice something cheap to run as if anything were to happen to it you won't be too upset. Plus by then you'll probably have figured out if what kind of car really suits your needs best.

Small engine size means cheaper road tax and insurance.
    You can check these costs by the motor tax website and companies like hibernian etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Carzone.ie is usually good too, as is beepbeep.ie . . ., search location within the site

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oliviaolicia

I completely agree with Toopybinoo . I have a car that I bought from Riverside Cars in Castlecomer . I bought it on condition he would get it NCTed . I have it theree months now so much has gone wrong with it . He keeps fobbing me off re NCT . Finally he said he has booked one but if this is true I dont think it will pass . I think it was a crashed car that he just sold on to me without even loking at it . Twice the petron tank burst and ,it has overheated numerous times and the driver seat door stopped opening . He finally took it to fix driver door and is dropping it back today but this has been going on for three months and its so stressfull . On my receipt It has included the nct in the sale of the car . I need ther car for work purposes and cant afford another one . Any advice ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I completely agree with Toopybinoo . I have a car that I bought from Riverside Cars in Castlecomer . I bought it on condition he would get it NCTed . I have it theree months now so much has gone wrong with it . He keeps fobbing me off re NCT . Finally he said he has booked one but if this is true I dont think it will pass . I think it was a crashed car that he just sold on to me without even loking at it . Twice the petron tank burst and ,it has overheated numerous times and the driver seat door stopped opening . He finally took it to fix driver door and is dropping it back today but this has been going on for three months and its so stressfull . On my receipt It has included the nct in the sale of the car . I need ther car for work purposes and cant afford another one . Any advice ??
    7 months old this thread...

Captain did you see the light and buy a car or are you still cycling?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Plug wrote: »
    7 months old this thread...

Captain did you see the light and buy a car or are you still cycling?

As I race bicycles and do plenty of charity spins (watch this space for my big one next year) I'll always be cycling :) I bought a 04 Toyota Yaris 1L from my brothers girlfriend at a price I was very happy with :) In the meantime I've failed my driving test twice :( First time, yeah maybe but the second time, I don't think it was a just outcome. Anyway, I'm plugging in the miles and have round three on the 9th of November. The car is very clean and was well looked after. From doing what shopping around I did, Jack Quinn in Comer seemed like the best priced of the "reputable" dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

As I race bicycles and do plenty of charity spins (watch this space for my big one next year) I'll always be cycling :) I bought a 04 Toyota Yaris 1L from my brothers girlfriend at a price I was very happy with :) In the meantime I've failed my driving test twice :( First time, yeah maybe but the second time, I don't think it was a just outcome. Anyway, I'm plugging in the miles and have round three on the 9th of November. The car is very clean and was well looked after. From doing what shopping around I did, Jack Quinn in Comer seemed like the best priced of the "reputable" dealers.
    Try a low cut top and well above knee skirt!! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Try a low cut top and well above knee skirt!! :P

Like this?
    freddie-mercury-wants-to-break-free-of-everything-but-the-vacuum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

ah you cant go wrong with a nissan skyline!
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Skyline/GTS-Turb/201016197722363/advert?channel=CARS,

you'll look proper hardy buck in this beast heading down high street/john street!!:D

• Advertisement

gunner11 wrote: »
    ah you cant go wrong with a nissan skyline!
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Skyline/GTS-Turb/201016197722363/advert?channel=CARS,

you'll look proper hardy buck in this beast heading down high street/john street!!:D
    A bad car...

Has anyone seen this ugly yellow jap thing going around, it has a rear wing bigger than that of an Airbus A380!

Hi olivia,

Yep, we took him to court since my last post, and won :)

That'd be my advise.

Judge said it was obivious he patched up the car long enough to get a sale!

toopybinoo wrote: »
    Hi olivia,

That'd be my advise.

That's great news.

toopybinoo wrote: »
    Hi olivia,

That'd be my advise.

I don't really think you can 'patch' up a failed head gasket. But at least you won, he should have replaced it when it went and keep a good rep.

Plug wrote: »
    I don't really think you can 'patch' up a failed head gasket. But at least you won, he should have replaced it when it went and keep a good rep.

Keep a good rep? He doesn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I'd recommend staying away from Barry Pender motors, I've not heard one person whohad a good thing to say about that garage.

Case in point: A friend of mine bought a car from him a while back, in two days of buying it the engine blew up. He went back to the garage and wanted an exchange. Yer man told him no, eventually the solicitors had to be called to make him give the car back. As I understand it isn't that consumer law now anyway?

Keep a good rep? He doesn't have one.
    When he did before the incident, thats if he had one to begin with.

Thanks , When Im awhile in traffic the bonnett begins to smoke ..the water dries up and I have to fill it back up again . He has charged me for fixing the door saying it was fine when he gave it to me ....He will only charge me if I get him to do same re water issue . This also happened a while back when I first bought it and he said it was the fan and the he had fixed it . The nct is on the 29th of this month and he wants to bring it but I think he probably knows the lads there and could get it passed ...although maybe not . Was it the small claims court you went to ? Thanks for your ans.

Thanks , When Im awhile in traffic the bonnett begins to smoke ..the water dries up and I have to fill it back up again . He has charged me for fixing the door saying it was fine when he gave it to me ....He will only charge me if I get him to do same re water issue . This also happened a while back when I first bought it and he said it was the fan and the he had fixed it . The nct is on the 29th of this month and he wants to bring it but I think he probably knows the lads there and could get it passed ...although maybe not . Was it the small claims court you went to ? Thanks for your ans.

Sorry that was re Toopybinoos reply re: riverside cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NickiRose

Sorry that was re Toopybinoos reply re: riverside cars

Hi Olivia
    Long time since you posted re Riverside Cars. Just been stung by him. Got car with an NCT I might add. No speedometer / fuel gauge working. Revving up and down and driving around town yesterday the bloody thing started jerking and jumping, engine management light is on the dash. My husband thought he would never get home. (Thank God it wasn't me and the kids, I would have crapped myself!!!) Brought the car back to him, told him it wasn't safe and we wanted a refund. He refused!!! We waited a few weeks for the car because he said he was fixing the car up and getting it NCT'd. I really don't know how it passed, makes me wonder!!! So now we have no car, no money. We even appealed to his better side, he knows we both only work part time and have kids to feed but nothing. He is heartless!!! I contacted the National Consumer Agency and I will go to the small claims court if I have to. (Hate the hassle but have to try get our money back). If you are still on line Olivia, how did you get on with your situation?

• Advertisement

hiya,

we went to small claims in th end and won :) We kept contacting him to no avail refused every offer we put on the table.

Judge didnt believe a word he said, so go for it, hope all goes well.

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NickiRose

Can I ask did the process take long? And well done for winning, bet you were pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

did you pass the test in the end captain havoc??

i had the same problem in kilkenny with the test centre, i changed test centre in the end to clonmel and i passed first time !!

gorilla_ie wrote: »
    did you pass the test in the end captain havoc??

i had the same problem in kilkenny with the test centre, i changed test centre in the end to clonmel and i passed first time !!

I passed, got a different tester and passed, probably the worst effort of my three.

I really hope that guy in Comer gets his comeuppance, hopefully one day he'll sell to the wrong person.

Advertisement