Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish League Cup Final - Rangers Vs St Mirren

• 21-03-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

The first piece of silverware of the season is up for grabs at Hampden park this afternoon, with Rangers hot favourites to see off the challenge of St Mirren.

However this isnt as straight forward as it would seem to most outside viewers, The teams have already faced eachother FIVE times this season, all of which have been tight games. There is no way either side can offer anything in the way of a surprise given the amount of match time they have had against eachother this season.

Gus McPherson's Saints will be in optimistic moods going into the match, especially after having went 180 minutes in the Scottish Cup without losing a goal to Rangers not so long ago.

At the wide open spaces of Hampden anything can happen, look how far Queen of the South pushed Rangers a couple of years ago in the Scottish Cup final.

As for me...i'm stuck at work, so will be spending the afternoon avoiding the results nervously so i can watch it on the iPlayer when i get home!

C'Mon the Gers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

St Mirren have had a couple of good efforts in the last few minutes, unlucky not to score

Rangers down to 10 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Even with a man advantage, St. Mirren dont look like causing Rangers too many problems and they are struggling to defend any attack

Wilson Sent Off, referee got it spot on tbh

This is getting really interesting!

• Advertisement

Rangers down to 9, Wilson tugging back Dargo just outside the box. Almost identical to Mascherano against United today, this time a red and a free kick in that case a penalty and a yellow, no wonder fans and teams are confused and annoyed

Dempsey wrote: »
    Wilson Sent Off, referee got it spot on tbh

This is getting really interesting!

TBH I did not think it was a straight red, I do not think that it was a clear goal scoring opportunity.

McCulloch now booked for a dive

TBH I did not think it was a straight red, I do not think that it was a clear goal scoring opportunity.

McCulloch now booked for a dive

Is that because it was Craig Dargo running in on goal and not Fernando Torres or Rooney?? ;)

Is that because it was Craig Dargo running in on goal and not Fernando Torres or Rooney?? ;)

Not quite ;) Still a lot to do, was not heading right through goal was at an angle and looked like there was a defender getting across. Of course the referee has a split second to assess the situation and make a decision. As for the red card for Thompson, there can be little arguement, in fact I seem to remember him being sent off for a very similar challenge earlier in the season against Hearts

Great break out by Rangers and they are one up. Looks like the winner, even with 2 extra man St Mirren have not created many chances in the second half

• Advertisement

St. Mirren went to sleep

Mirren wasted a very good opportunity to win the League Cup imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Unfortunately today showed again that the SPL is a two team league and probably always will be. Even with a 2 man advantage St Mirren didn't really trouble them - that's a sad reflection on the state of domestic football in Scotland. When compared to the strong and vibrant Scottish league of 25 years ago, it falls down badly. The sooner Rangers & Celtic get out of the SPL, the better for all concerned, especially the also-rans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Avoided the result untill just now when i made the mistake of reading a text message!

Still hasnt appeared on the iPlayer, so feck it anyway...what were the reds for?

Still, feels good to get the first trophy of the season under our belts, hopefully we can fire on now to tie up the league and see off Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Congrats to Rangers, saw 2nd half, sheer guts and resilence won the cup for them. Walter Smith certainly enjoyed it, apparently he is working for free at Rangers as he is out of contract. Nice to see this kind of loyalty being rewarded in the game to he honest.

Feel really sorry for the St Mirren players though, they will never have a better chance of a winning a winners medal, and it could take them a while to get over this one. Gutted for them and their manager.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Avoided the result untill just now when i made the mistake of reading a text message!

Still hasnt appeared on the iPlayer, so feck it anyway...what were the reds for?

I guess the highlights might be on the BBC webpage soon. First red was for a tackle from behind from Thompson, similar to another red that he received earlier in the season. Second was for pulling back Dargo just outside the box, the referee made the decision that it was a goal scoring opportunity. I think that the first red was deserved but not the second. Will they be suspended for the cup replay now?

Brewster wrote: »
    Congrats to Rangers, saw 2nd half, sheer guts and resilence won the cup for them. Walter Smith certainly enjoyed it, apparently he is working for free at Rangers as he is out of contract. Nice to see this kind of loyalty being rewarded in the game to he honest.

Feel really sorry for the St Mirren players though, they will never have a better chance of a winning a winners medal, and it could take them a while to get over this one. Gutted for them and their manager.

I think he's on a month to month rolling contract. Smith can be approached for any job without Rangers permission and Rangers wouldnt be entitled to any compensation in this case.

He'd be a fool if he's managing for free and he's no fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Will they be suspended for the cup replay now?

Not sure to be honest dude, I suppose it depends on the referee's report.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest dude, I suppose it depends on the referee's report.

Well as they were both straight reds I would assume that they are, just not sure of what the procedure is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think he's on a month to month rolling contract. Smith can be approached for any job without Rangers permission and Rangers wouldnt be entitled to any compensation in this case.

He'd be a fool if he's managing for free and he's no fool.

Thanks, Id heard he was working for nothing, although who knows what goes on behind scenes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement