Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old brace by James Howarth

Options
  • 21-03-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

This is a recent find, a nice timber brace made by "James Howarth, Broom Spring Works, Sheffield". It's in nice enough condition, with a brass chuck and locking lever. Similar but more ornate models by this manufacturer with brass inlays go for big bucks and seem to be in demand by collectors. Hard to date it but I think this is pre 1930. It belonged to my great grandfather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

She's in fine nick, thanks to grandfather, Jack.

"in 1922 James Howarth and Sons of Bath Street, another leading manufacturer of edge tools and joiners tools, who had been a supplier to Robert Sorby was acquired."
    Scroll down about to about 3/4 of the page:
    http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/company_info.htm

"James Howarth was born on the 19 December 1811 into a typical hard working family.

At the age of 12-years he began working as a second hand or striker alongside his father William who was employed as an edge toolmaker by Mitchell Brothers in Furnival St.Sheffield. .................

Upon the death of James Howarth the firm was managed by his four sons James, Sammual, Edwin and John Howarth. The firm was discontinued in 1913 and there mark was aquired by Robert Sorby and Sons in 1922."

http://www.btinternet.com/~roy.pettit/James_Howarth_Story.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Very interesting, thanks Double Barrel. Unfortunately I don't have any of the bits to go with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice piece of kit there. Its hard to beat the quality of old tools. I,m a keen collector of them as well.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Nice stuff there lads! Ye are lucky to have old tools like that for a collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

This is a recent find, a nice timber brace made by "James Howarth, Broom Spring Works, Sheffield". It's in nice enough condition, with a brass chuck and locking lever. Similar but more ornate models by this manufacturer with brass inlays go for big bucks and seem to be in demand by collectors. Hard to date it but I think this is pre 1930. It belonged to my great grandfather.

Nice piece of kit there JOA! Wouldnt mind having one of them myself!! :) Sure your G-Grandad didnt have any old Norris planes or the likes too? :p

Few nice pieces there also Kadman, have you got any other goodies?!

• Advertisement

Nice stuff there lads! Ye are lucky to have old tools like that for a collection.

You,d be surprise at what tools are out there in the strangest of places. people dont have value in old tools now, and good bargains are out there to be had. I picked up a Disstonn ripsaw, rare , in the boot sale in clara about 5 years ago for 5 yo yo,s:D

kadman

Nice piece of kit there JOA! Wouldnt mind having one of them myself!! :) Sure your G-Grandad didnt have any old Norris planes or the likes too? :p

Few nice pieces there also Kadman, have you got any other goodies?!

I have............

Rules, levels, chisels, all old. Auction purchases mostly. One owner myford planer thicknesser for the hobbyist, complete with all the paperwork, and a thicknessing attachment from 1964, thats a crazy looking bit of kit.And a De-Cock surfacer , about 220 years old. You cant beat the old stuff.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

No Norris, Spiers or anything like it! I did get 3 old wooden planes, but there's evidence of woodworm infestation so I'm undecided as to what to do with them. One of these is also well worn and has had a piece of wood put in the sole to tighten up the mouth. They did come with plenty of spare blades and cap irons, all to be de-rusted. Some moulding planes too. Lots of other bits and pieces but nothing special, all either very rusty or in the case of the wooden tools well worn from years of use.Nice to have either way and will keep me busy in the evenings with my scouring pads, white spirit and linseed oil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hagheid

Wonder if anyone can help identify this Plane. It's marked James Howarth a maker from Sheffield. The Plane is 10.5 inches long, 3 inches high & 3 inches wide.
    2734579730046981089qQrWEL
    2749530160046981089zLvutF
    2429064760046981089GwBHiM

Advertisement