Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will he run away??

Options
  • 21-03-2010 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

my sisters yorkshire terrior is one and a half years old and she is afraid to let him off the lead. she thinks he will run away.
    advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

my sisters yorkshire terrior is one and a half years old and she is afraid to let him off the lead. she thinks he will run away.
    advice please?
    dont let him off , if there is no confadence in recall it should not be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Why would he run away? is he being abused?

Obvoiusly if she doesn't have decent control over him then she should be wary about where she lets him off leash. But it's not something that can't be worked on over time.

Maybe take him for a long-ish walk on the lead first... then head to a local park that's enclosed by walls/fence/railings etc. let him off to have a sniff around; but keep calling him back every so often. Praise him each time he comes when you call. This can be worked on gradually and the length of time off leash built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nialldeman

advice please?

that dog should be let run free sure if ya lose im ya can get another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

nialldeman wrote: »
    that dog should be let run free sure if ya lose im ya can get another one

nialldeman - helpful posts in future please.
    Dogs should not be 'let run free' if they're not under the control of the owner, they can cause and be in accidents if they're let off. Clearly you've never cared for a pet if your response is 'you can just get another one'.
    I suggest you think before you post next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nialldeman

only let him off in the park
    that way hes not too close to cars and has more freedom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

nialldeman wrote: »
    only let him off in the park
    that way hes not too close to cars and has more freedom

And what if another dog attacked him while he is off the lead?

OP all she can do is work on recall with the dog, let him off in an enclosed area where there are no other dogs etc and reward when he comes when called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭schoolboy082

Why would he run away? is he being abused?

NO HE IS'NT ABUSED HE'S SPOILED THANKS

she's just been afraid because moms westie makes a run for it all the time she escaped once and wouldnt come back when called had to make a pin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Either let him off in an enclosed area or get a field leash (its a long leash) and work on his recall. Throw a treat, he'll run to get it and as he's running back for more give him his command come here etc. Our pup wasn't the best for recall but I kept practicing witgh him and found that NOT going over to collect him from other dogs and to keep walking was the best way - once he realised I wasn't going to wait for him he'd keep up with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Being a small dog it's easy to run with them, if he wants to run about she can keep him on the lead and run along with him. A really long lead in a safe place away from the road is fine too.
    If she's not confident of him coming back then it's best to keep the pooch on the lead. The dog will have plenty of freedom running around the house and garden anyway.

I know it's tempting to let dogs run free but if the dog has no recall it's not worth the risk.

Perhaps suggest joining some dog classes for the fun of it as well as learning recall and other basic commangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think it's too risky to let him off lead, unless he was extremely well trained. I wouldn't let my dogs off lead on the side of the road, I'd be terrified! I let them off in the fields behind my house, but there's nowhere for them to run. But if they saw a rabbit/neighbour cat, then they'd run and one of them isn't the best at coming back when she's called. Maybe she can find somewhere like that to let them run?

My sister let them off lead in the park, I'm never letting her mind them again! :P Seriously though, they could have ran away, another dog could have attacked them, they could have jumped on a child and knocked them over, anything really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement