Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minature Dog

Options
  • 21-03-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Have been thinking about getting a dog for while, I live in an apartment but it is quite large with a large balcony area ( wall foot high and the barrier for three feet, they wont be able to jump over it or fall through it) and there is a park very close.
    Anyways, the girlfriend wants a small dog and has had her eye on a pug or a teacup yorkie.I've seen pics of teacup yorkies as puppies but how much bigger do they get? Anybody have any opinions on any other minature or small dogs that would be worth considering, unfortunately it all has to pass the 'cute factor'.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

F.Galway wrote: »
    wall foot high and the barrier for three feet, they wont be able to jump over it fall through it
    it's not unknown for mini's to go over 4 foot walls

Anyways, the girlfriend wants a small dog and has had her eye on a pug
    stay clear of pugs there is too big a chance of getting one with health issues
    I've seen pics of teacup yorkies as puppies but how much bigger do they get?
    Not much bigger than a large mug

Anybody have any opinions
    Stay clear of cha-wow-a’s (I know I spelt that wrong ) they are not big people dogs and can be overprotective of their owners . Personally I would steer clear of all mini’s they usually have a pile of health issues due to over /inter breeding plus they are so small it is easy to hurt them (my uncle accidentally sent my cousins flying across the room because he could not see it. Not all big dogs want a lot of exercise . But most pups want a lot of interaction and need to be fed 3-5 times a day so you might want to look into getting an older dog

unfortunately it all has to pass the 'cute factor'.
    Cheers
    will some thing like this do ???(my baby, not mini but have been known to take to apartment life :D )

P1000209.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Teacup etc dogs are not officially a "breed" eg. Teacup Yorkies are really just very small standard Yorkies. There are some "miniature" breeds (eg. Miniature Schnauzer) but these tend to be about the size of a Shih Tzu, not the teeny Yorkie size that you can get. Generally, dogs that are "Teacup" in size come with a host of health issues because they have been bred to be much smaller than the breed was originally intended to be. Getting a dog that is more the breed standard size would probably work out best in the long run. And they will still have the "cute factor"!

Regarding Pugs - they can be lovely dogs but unfortunately a really good Pug breeder is very hard to come by. They are pricey dogs to buy and tend to have a multitude of health problems (breathing, spinal, eye etc.) that will lighten your wallet in the long run. There are loads of small breeds out there that could be suitable for you, all very cute and brilliant apartment dogs.

The one thing I will say to you is that before you buy a pup do as much research as you possibly can on the breed - look up the good points and bad points and be aware that you may encounter them all (sometimes more of one than the other!). Research all the health issues that the breed has. Choose your breeder wisely - it could be the difference between a well rounded, healthy pup and a nightmare to deal with, unhealthy pup. You will have the dog from anything up to 15 years, the ground work before you buy will really pay off once you bring your pup home.

Pm me if you need any info or help with anything with regards to buying a pup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

wall foot high and the barrier for three feet, they wont be able to jump over it or fall through it)

I wouldnt count on that, I have a small yorkie, my friends garden has 4ft fence around it and she gets over it easily. My friends dogs are taller but havent a hope of getting over. She is VERY springy!!

We lived in an apartment with her for 5 months with a balcony. Never had the problem of her jumping over as she was never out there on her own, she only jumps the garden fence when she is left there without any humans!
    pug or a teacup yorkie.I've seen pics of teacup yorkies as puppies but how much bigger do they get?

They dont get big at all, Tilly (my yorkie) is a mini Yorkie she is about 8" high, teacups are far smaller. I have only seen a few teacups are they are very very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Just to give you an idea, this is Tilly at 10 weeks, its hard to see how big she was but they are very tiny and fragile when they are puppies...

Tilly.jpg

This is her now on the right, shi tzu on the left..

Ted & Tilly.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

no links to donedeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would agree about the barrier, our Phalene who is only likkle can jump pretty high and squeeze into small spaces so popping some strong wire over the rest of the balcony would be an idea.

Might be worth checking out rescues for a dog as well, plenty of small ones come in to rescues.

A Papillon or Phalene is super cute, great apartment/house dog, needs walks and lots of play time and company but are very happy to snooze beside you on the couch after a bit of a walk. They are real clowns and thrive on human company and love other dogs as well.

They have been known to come in to rescue now and then as well.

With any small dog or pup though you do need to be careful eg don't wear shoes in the house in case you trod on them, ensure they can't squeeze behind kitchen units and get stuck etc.

Papillons/Phalenes are one of the smaller breeds that don't come with lots of health issues ..if bred responsibly. They can have knee issues and more sensative to anesthetics but that's about it. Insurance is a good idea whatever dog you get wether it's a mix or pb. They have a good life span too.
    A high calorie diet or diet for toy breeds is recommended. Our guy eats Burns puppy but prefers Burns adult pork and potatoe now so he gets a mix of both.

As said though if you do choose a particular breed get some books and chat to other owners of the same breed. There can be mixed opinions about breed traits sometimes so plenty of research and then you can make up your mind as to what would suit.

Paps and Phalenes deffo. have the cuteness factor they do love to twirl and stuff. Also great for agility after they're a year old. I considered dogs like pugs and even King Charles but the health issues put me off.

Paps/Phalenes are sort of like a cat trapped in a dogs body.

Our Guy, super cute. 10months old in this pic, takes a year for the hair to grow out fully.

32f2faa6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think a miniature dog is all that necessary, but you don't want a big beast in an apartment either. That said, I know a dog trainer who has two retrievers and a springer spaniel in his 2-bed apartment :D

I think the one major factor you need to consider above everything else is noise. If your dog spends any significant amount of time at all barking, your neighbours are going to raise hell. Maybe it's a misconception, but smaller "minature" dogs are known being "yappy". So maybe research dogs known for barking/not barking too. It's certainly trainable, but if you're leaving your dog at home for two hours, you've no idea how much barking it does or doesn't do.

We got lucky with our Staffie - she only barks in her sleep (:D) and is afraid of walking on wood - bridges, decks, balconies - so we don't have any concerns whatsoever about having her in our duplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mind you a lot of dogs will bark, it's normal. If they hear someone coming to the door etc. but some tend to be more yappy than others. I don't think smaller dogs are any more yappy than larger ones. Our bigger dogs are much more barkey.

Our little fella starts up if he hears the girls barking it's a bad habit all dogs that come here end up with lol. But once you come in the door he's very quiet he's just all ears and waggy tail. He's a bit whingey though esp. when he gets over tired he'll whine quietly to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Is it the size you are worried about or how the dog will adjust to an apartment? Greyhound, whippets and lurchers all make excellent apartment dogs and there are always so many looking for new homes.
    I have a 6" Chihuahua who just lights up our house, I don't think I'll ever be without one now, as I type she is on the floor wrestling my Rottie. They can come with their share of health issues though so if you consider this breed do your homework on the breeder.

Cleo 29.03.09.jpg

Brook&Cleo Wrestling 13.02.10.jpg

Advertisement