Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC for phone & internet but NOT TV

• 21-03-2010 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Having trouble understanding the UPC pricing.

Can someone tell me what UPC 15 meg bb with a phone service will cost? I don't want TV.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

~€57.75, check it via the made to measure section

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

€46

BB = €32
    Phone = €6
    Extra = €8
    Total = €46

The Extra is if you don't take the TV service, you have to pay €8 extra for BB. The made to measure still doesn't include this charge :mad:

Phone assumes you don't want the extra free calls bundles.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    €46

BB = €32
    Phone = €6
    Extra = €8
    Total = €46

The Extra is if you don't take the TV service, you have to pay €8 extra for BB. The made to measure still doesn't include this charge :mad:

Phone assumes you don't want the extra free calls bundles.

I dont know how any follower of UPC can be surprised at this stage at this type of behaviour on their part?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dub45 wrote: »
    I dont know how any follower of UPC can be surprised at this stage at this type of behaviour on their part?

dub in fairness we get it you dislike UPC, no need to start this debate in every UPC thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

I'm lookin at switchin same over from Eircom. although not lookin for tv either cos sky is better. need broadband for xbox live. is the connection speed up to standard for online play. paying61month for Eircom at min and lookin for a package that would give me free calls to the north as part of deal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 wrote: »

Seriously dub45 give it a break. It is still excellent value for money, far better then Eircom (€70).

BTW It actually does say the extra charge when you go through to the next page. I'd imagine that the reason for this is they can't tell if your just adding BB as an existing customer with TV, therefore no extra charge or as a new customer, therefore the extra charge.

They should first ask if the user is a new customer or existing customer when you first go to the made to measure page, like Sky does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This is the bit that had me confused.

So the made to measure is wrong?

If I order/buy it online, they have to sell it to me for the price they quote (ie in made to measure)?

eg

108338.png

JHMEG wrote: »
    If I order/buy it online, they have to sell it to me for the price they quote (ie in made to measure)?

No such luck, when you click Continue on the Made To Measure page, the next page says:
    A Fibre Power Broadband standalone charge of €7.75 applies when not taking TV.

So I'd say they are covered, but I agree it should be clearer up front.

Seriously dub45 give it a break. It is still excellent value for money, far better then Eircom (€70).

BTW It actually does say the extra charge when you go through to the next page. I'd imagine that the reason for this is they can't tell if your just adding BB as an existing customer with TV, therefore no extra charge or as a new customer, therefore the extra charge.

They should first ask if the user is a new customer or existing customer when you first go to the made to measure page, like Sky does.

Value has got absolutely nothing to do with integrity. Why should anyone have to go through to a next page to find out the full price of anything?

Cabaal wrote: »
    dub in fairness we get it you dislike UPC, no need to start this debate in every UPC thread

What exactly do you mean and who are you speaking about with the 'we"?

What bits do you not wish to have pointed out about UPC in threads that concern them?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is the bit that had me confused.

So the made to measure is wrong?

eg

108338.png

This would probably fall into a similar category as when a shop had put a wrong price on something and discover it at the checkout as you go to pay for it. There is still an 'out' in such cases where the person/business does not have to accept your 'final offer.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's not the final quote though. When you continue to the checkout page, they'll add the no TV surcharge. This is not shown earlier as you could already have a TV package when you're ordering broadband, in which case it would not be charged. When you get to the payment page, they'll know at this point whether you have the TV service already, or if you are going to order it. If you don't, then they add the surcharge.

Surely this is the place to put the €7.75 charge?

108342.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

108342.png

Logically speaking yes but I'd imagine they still cover themselfs by showing it before the final check out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Cabaal wrote: »
    Logically speaking yes but I'd imagine they still cover themselfs by showing it before the final check out

Could somebody who is actually paying for just home phone and broadband (ie not paying for tv) please confirm that they're actually paying the extra charge.

I ordered the anytime world and 30Mb broadband package last night.
    In none of the order confirmations was it listed that a broadband standalone charge would be included.

Although if you configure the online order application for broadband only, it will include the extra charge.

Yes, but the problem is what if the person already has TV with UPC and just want to add broadband, then they should not see and be charged the extra charge.

This is why order pages should first ask if you are an existing TV customer or not. If yes then don't show the extra charge, otherwise show it. Just like Sky does, it really isn't that hard.

Funny thing, companies normally pay me good money to give this sort of advise and here I'm giving it for free and it probably won't happen :(
    Could somebody who is actually paying for just home phone and broadband (ie not paying for tv) please confirm that they're actually paying the extra charge.

If you don't have TV, then yes you will be charged an extra €7.75 per month. Ring UPC sales to confirm. If you are not happy, then you can still cancel as you are within the 7 days cooling off period.

I ordered the anytime world and 30Mb broadband package last night.
    In none of the order confirmations was it listed that a broadband standalone charge would be included.

Although if you configure the online order application for broadband only, it will include the extra charge.

Keep us posted on how that goes please.

Is it possible that the charge has been dropped and part of the site hasn't been updated, but the roll-your-own part has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have broadband only, and pay the charge. It was €6, but it's gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Would save you a bit more if you were to get your phone through Blueface instead of UPC.
    They are currently doing a deal for a Siemens Gigaset cordless handset with unlimited Irish local and national calls for life for 199 Euros.

http://www.blueface.ie/residential.aspx

I use there pay as you go service and find them great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah I use Blueface pay-as-you-go as well and find it much cheaper than UPC themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Yeah I use Blueface pay-as-you-go as well and find it much cheaper than UPC themselves.
    how do you find blueface?

i've been having big issues with the upc phone service and nobody seems to be able to fix it.

my broadband is fine for the most part so its a bit of a pain having so many problems with the phone service, so i'm considering switching to blueface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

vibe666 wrote: »
    how do you find blueface?

i've been having big issues with the upc phone service and nobody seems to be able to fix it.

my broadband is fine for the most part so its a bit of a pain having so many problems with the phone service, so i'm considering switching to blueface.

I originally ordered broadband and phone from UPC, but they told me my line wasn't good enough for the phone service. (which I am glad now) I have been using Blueface for 6 months now and have never had a problem with it at all. Call qualities are very good and it works out cheaper than the UPC option. I really don't understand why UPC say my line is not good enough when the blueface service has always been perfect for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I originally ordered broadband and phone from UPC, but they told me my line wasn't good enough for the phone service. (which I am glad now) I have been using Blueface for 6 months now and have never had a problem with it at all. Call qualities are very good and it works out cheaper than the UPC option. I really don't understand why UPC say my line is not good enough when the blueface service has always been perfect for me.
    well, my broadband is fine for 25mbps+ so far, but my phoneline is forever dropping out completely and i have to power cycle the modem to get it back.

its been on and off like that since we've had it too. thought it was gone away for a good while then it came back again after the 30mbps upgrade so i might have to see about swapping to blueface and see how they are. can't be any worse. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 adam111111

is there a way to stop upc from charging me "& you;)" the fee for not getting the TV from them , it is ridiculous that a company charges an individual 4 not buying a product ????? and why is SKY not allowed into the irish market . is that because upc payrolls includes some decision makers ???? i will be very happy to join any group anywhere to protest against this and express my frustration . thank youuuuuuuuu all

Advertisement