Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Should I Get an Xbox??

• 21-03-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hey ppl!! As the title says, thinking of maybe gettin an Xbox for fun as they look good and alot of my friends have 1. So, do u think it is worth getting one. I already have a PS3. AND WHAT XBOX SHOULD I GET?? WHY CANT THERE ONLY BE 1?? Also, can you go wireless like the PS3? heard u had to get a router or something? plzzzzz help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Get a Ps3 They're cooler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Stop shouting.
    There isn't "only one" PS3 either. I'd go for the 60GB version of the 360.
    The XBox hasn't got wireless built in, so you would have to buy an adapter or wire it up.

I'd say it's only worth getting if your mates are on it more than they're on PS3s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've both, only play games on Xbox 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Don't bother, it'll just self destruct after a while! Sickened I got one in the end, shoulda spent that little bit more and got something I know will atleast turn on.

Besides, they play nearly all the same games! Only thing Xbox has going for it is Project Gotham 4..

My bro has a ps3 with a 42" 1080dpi and gold HDMI cable + virtual surround sound too(2.1 setup = less messy cables).. Pretty hard to beat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Wez wrote: »
    Besides, they play nearly all the same games! Only thing Xbox has going for it is Project Gotham 4..

we've moved on abit in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

JamieDev wrote: »
    Hey ppl!! As the title says, thinking of maybe gettin an Xbox for fun as they look good and alot of my friends have 1. So, do u think it is worth getting one. I already have a PS3. AND WHAT XBOX SHOULD I GET?? WHY CANT THERE ONLY BE 1?? Also, can you go wireless like the PS3? heard u had to get a router or something? plzzzzz help!

Yes. I have had a 360 since march 2006 and i have never had to replace one because of the red rings. On the other hand i have had 2 ps3's and have sold both. I find all the multi platform games look and play better on the 360(however i think this is because the 360 is easier to develop for),the interface is much easier on the eye, and i honestly think there are more people who play games on the 360 in Ireland than the ps3 (or at least more people that i know.

To break it down here are some pros and cons of both machines:

XBOX 360:

Pros:
    Definitely more user friendly.
    Superior controller.
    Larger game library.
    4 versions to choose from. (arcade, PRO, Elite, Special edition)
    Games appear, at least to my eye, nicer visually.
    Halo :P

Cons:
    Reliability issues in some cases.
    Xbox live is not free.
    Loud as a jumbo jet.
    No inbuilt wireless connectivity.
    No option (anymore) for High Definition movies etc on DISC (ie no blu ray add on drive)

PS3:

Pros:
    Tbf, Gran Turismo.
    Wireless connectivity inbuilt.
    Blu Ray as standard (if one desires such things)
    Free online gaming (no sub required)
    Capable of operating Linux (or at least it used to be, im not sure anymore with the slim)

Cons:
    Online gaming not as good as Xbox Live.
    Ugly as a Donkey's a$$.
    Interface leaves a lot to be desired.
    Controller not as nice to use. (IMHO)
    Forces Blu Ray on you.
    No Halo :P

Although it all boils down to what exactly you want. If you just want to play games by yourself amd have no real issue in the online end of things then the PS3 might be the option for you. If however you want to play games with your friends and provided you know people who have one the i would reccommend the 360 as the superior machine.

Hope this is somewhat helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Although it all boils down to what exactly you want. If you just want to play games by yourself amd have no real issue in the online end of things then the PS3 might be the option for you. If however you want to play games with your friends and provided you know people who have one the i would reccommend the 360 as the superior machine.

Hope this is somewhat helpful

Except that he has said that he already has a PS3. So it's not really answering his question. Whether he should buy a 360 if he already has a PS3?

I bought a 360 back in September and although I've hardly played it the last couple of months I don't regret it. There's a fair few 360 exclusives that are well worth picking up like Mass Effect 2. You do need to buy a wireless adapter to connect wirelessly to the internet. I connect mine with a cable so I didn't need the adater. It's the one thing that really bugged me about buying the 360 was the amount of extra cash on top of the purchase price that you have to put down to reach parity with a PS3.

Like having to buy a play and charge kit if you want to charge your controller, paying for Live and if the wireless adapter if you want to play over a wireless internet connection. So just be aware that you're going ot have to spend around 50-100 euro more on top of the price of the console.

The difference in visual quality between games is negligible in the vast majority of games. At the moment there's two games just out where the PS3 is in fact ahead graphically. Final Fantasy XIII and Battlefield Bad Company 2. Developers are starting to realise it's easier to program for the PS3 first and make that lead console rather than the 360 as the PS3 can be hard to develop with so it's easier to port a game from PS3 to 360 than vice-versa. That's neither here nor there though. I've not noticed any difference in games and there some I've bought twice, once on each system.

I'd look at the line-up of games on 360, and if there's 4 or 5 that you are genuinely really interested in then I'd take the plunge. Mass Effect 1 & 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and a few others are well worth checking out. You can find a fair few of the older exclusives for cheap these days and they should keep you occupied for a bit.

I find the 360 dashboard a bit of a pain to navigate being used to the PS3 layout. When trying to stream a video from my computer there's just a few to many menus for my liking. In other ways though the layout can be pretty good, and in terms of playing with friends etc. with party chat and other features the 360 is superior.

Saying all that though there's been so many great games on PS3 the last fews months I wonder would you be better off just picking them up instead of getting a new console. As I said, it all depends on the types of games you want to play. I didn't regret buying mine, but I bought mine at a time there weren't many decent games being released and I was stuck for something to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Except that he has said that he already has a PS3. So it's not really answering his question. Whether he should buy a 360 if he already has a PS3?

Very very sleepy when i wrote that...... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Whybin

The PS3 is superior as a media centre, plus you don't have to buy a subscription to play games onling. But imo the Xbox has better games, not so much stupid Japanese stuff like Metal Gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Whybin wrote: »
    The PS3 is superior as a media centre, plus you don't have to buy a subscription to play games onling. But imo the Xbox has better games, not so much stupid Japanese stuff like Metal Gear.

What files will a PS3 play that a 360 wont?

I haven't come across one, haven't tried that many though. I find the PS3 preferable just because it's much easier to navigate to the link to my computer to stream the movies from. I just swish over to the Video part of the XMB and scroll down to the video section. It's more cumbersome on the 360. Much more sub-menus etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Your PS3 can do everything your xbox does and more. So all you are buying is the ability to play against your friends with an xbox. You will also need to pay for LIVE and controller batteries/charge kit. Plus the wireless adaptor you are looking for.

If you can afford it then get one, if its a squeeze to spare the cash then i wouldnt bother.

Ignore anyone that tells you LIVE is better, its not. There is absolutly no difference between playing a game on either service.

Everything else is opinion people will prefer the controllers or exclusives on either machine but this is up to you to decide what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Don't bother, it'll just self destruct after a while! Sickened I got one in the end, shoulda spent that little bit more and got something I know will atleast turn on.

My bro has a ps3 with a 42" 1080dpi and gold HDMI cable + virtual surround sound too(2.1 setup = less messy cables).. Pretty hard to beat!

Gold HDMI cable and virtual surround sound? OMG!!!!11one

Unless your brother has his PS3 100ft away from the tv, then he most likely wasted a lot of money on the cable, and virtual surround sound is not the same. I've both the 360 and PS3 hooked upto a 5.1 surround sound, and on some games, it makes a huge difference.

All in all, a pretty clueless post.

Oh and also blu-ray movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Why has this turned into an argument about which is the better console Its silly and off topic so be quiet.

Best thing to do OP is If any of your friends have an xbox go up play about with theirs better off playing some of the exclusives and just see if you like it.

Personally I love my xbox and think its great but give it a go yourself and see
    I could tell you that yes its worth it but its all up to you:D

Evolute wrote: »
    Why has this turned into an argument about which is the better console Its silly and off topic so be quiet.

That's what I've been saying all along. There's no point saying which is better as the OP already has a PS3.

The question is if it's worth getting an Xbox when you have a PS3 already.

In my opinion if you're struggling to find a game you want to play at the moment on PS3 and there's 4 or 5 games you definitely want to play on the Xbox then get it.

I've played mine a lot, but I bought a lot of multiplatform games on the 360 so it wouldn't feel like I bought it for just one or two games. If you're getting a game you're rather play online with a lot of friends and most of them have a 360, then it's nice to have the 360 there as an option.

All this is of course if you can afford it. Seems like you really want one and just want to be convinced. So do what I did, if you see a nice bundle that has at least one game you'd be buying with the 360 anyway, get it. Check HMV, I got a great deal with mine at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Whybin wrote: »
    Why stupid?Some of the best and most original games created are Japanese.
    Theres definitely a few codecs the ps3 can play that the 360 cant.Ive come across it in a few files but cant remember the specifics.What is better is that the PS3 will handle them out of the box and isnt going looking for codec packs the whole time.Plus its just more streamlined to get to these files,the scene search is really handy and of course noise levels.

Anyway, back OT. I have my PS3 the since 2007 and only got a 360 in october.Main reason I got it was a few games on the Arcade and to play the majority of my friends online in some games(mainly MW2 which is absolutely ****e but thats another rant).
    Really I havnt used it since theres not many exclusives on it im a big fan of (not a big shooter fan and Im picky about RPGs).With the exception of the arcade games its been a bit of a bust for me but you might find more games on it youd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

mcgovern wrote: »
    Gold HDMI cable and virtual surround sound? OMG!!!!11one

Unless your brother has his PS3 100ft away from the tv, then he most likely wasted a lot of money on the cable, and virtual surround sound is not the same. I've both the 360 and PS3 hooked upto a 5.1 surround sound, and on some games, it makes a huge difference.

All in all, a pretty clueless post.

He got the cable free..

I've Panasonic 5.1 downstairs, this 3-2-1 Bose setup upstairs, tellin ya, very little difference! I'd nearly invite ya over just to prove ya wrong, but ya sound like a pr!ck!

Hardly clueless, just not assed getting into specifics of how it's wired up to show some fag on a Xbox forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He got the cable free..

I've Panasonic 5.1 downstairs, this 3-2-1 Bose setup upstairs, tellin ya, very little difference! I'd nearly invite ya over just to prove ya wrong, but ya sound like a pr!ck!

Hardly clueless, just not assed getting into specifics of how it's wired up to show some fag on a Xbox forum.

I know it shouldnt but that response made me laugh.

Back on topic OP if you can afford it get one if you cant dont. Pretty much nothing else matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ps3 vs xbox flame baiting is not allowed

Since this thread has turned into such a thing I will be locking it and giving 5 day bans to pretty much anyone who called another poster a name or did a ps3 sux/360 sux post

it will only be for five day. Which will be enough time for you all to cool down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement