Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smallest denomination for coin changers ?

Options
  • 21-03-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

wasnt sure what forum to put this in.

Those machines that you see in supermarkets that you throw in aload of coins and they charge to like 5% or 10% to count and you can take a receipt to the counter and get notes etc.

Whats the smallest coin it can take ? i have aload of coppers here that i want to get rid of and dont want to end up up there with everything mixed in and not be able to put the coins in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

They take all the coppers.Only just raided my change bottle(recession and all)just over €200.

If you have the time and patience get the money bags from the bank and sort out the 20's,50's and euro coins.Just use that machine for the coppers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

sweet. i think i counted over €130 at one stage (very bored :))
    will the bank take counted 20s and 50s ? - i heard that they wouldnt

€155 in coins not €1 and €2 (have €40 worth of €1 an €2 but can use those). and they took 9.9% for the trouble.

Went into Tesco and they had a sign up that i could either exchange for cash minus the €15 or i could redeem the receipt up to the full value against any shopping done there.
    thats a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The bank took counted 1s and 2s (pennies) back in my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

the bank never turned me away with coppers, as along as the complete amounts were in the correct bag, ie €1 in 1c, €2 in 2c, etc etc. only used the machine once, to costly at almost 10%.

• Advertisement

yeah - 15quid was a bit steep for a machine to count it all - but 150euro has been sitting on my desk for the past few months + doing nothing. cant be having that much dead money lying around :) and i got most of my desk back too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

samhail wrote: »
    yeah - 15quid was a bit steep for a machine to count it all - but 150euro has been sitting on my desk for the past few months + doing nothing. cant be having that much dead money lying around :) and i got most of my desk back too !

Why not just pay for groceries in Tesco? Just feed the change into the self-pay machines if it takes too long to count it (though you will be there for about 10 minutes_

was there for 10min and it felt like everyone int he supermarket was looking at me cos its loud ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

go too a bank they dont charge you.

note I was turned away by ptsb the gpo.

aib took them for me no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

samhail wrote: »
    €155 in coins not €1 and €2 (have €40 worth of €1 an €2 but can use those). and they took 9.9% for the trouble.

Went into Tesco and they had a sign up that i could either exchange for cash minus the €15 or i could redeem the receipt up to the full value against any shopping done there.
    thats a good deal

I don't think you get the full value....as in not paying the 10% fee. I think what the sign says is that you have to use the full amount on the voucher in one transaction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement