Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardy Bucks - THE TV SERIES

1121314151618»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought the first half of it had potential, but it dived badly off a cliff at the end, it's a bit strange Eddie's American uncle had a Dublin accent, his interaction with Mick at the start was funny.

Thought the first half of it had potential, but it dived badly off a cliff at the end, it's a bit strange Eddie's American uncle had a Dublin accent, his interaction with Mick at the start was funny.

Wasnt he Carols lacky in Fair City at some point? Mick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Season has been disappointing so far, had it's good bits (viper and co in the ice cream van, The criminal on the run)

How many professional actors are part of the show ??? Uncle Mick and salmon actors ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

"She'd tear up floorboards looking for pipe" was probably the best quote of the entire series.

But yeah disappointing second half of the episode considering the potential. Although I thought it gas Eddie feeling the need to wear glasses when pitching the IT start-up. Buzz's immersion in the VR was good as well.

Same reservations over the inconsistent accents of Ciara and the rich uncle too.

But jaysus, the Viper story arc is cringeworthy. Reached a crescendo with Simcard whose acting was terrible, particularly at the end there when he was whipping the Viper. The whole "look at Stateside, he's some dumb and fat, he eats random stuff...." spiel has been done to death by many shows before, and has NEVER been funny. Desperately needs a return to his run-ins with the Shligo lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watching it now, the Vipers ice cream van should have been a 1 episoder that's all the laughs were in it.

It needs more Boo, Uncle Mick and Salmon each week, Ciara needs to go she's taking up far too much time with little laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

I love uncle Mick. That’s the only time I laughed was uncle Mick bit, baiting down the stake, horse playing with uncle etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I don't think it's been anywhere near as bad as people are letting on, got a good laugh out of all 3 episodes, especially the second one. That said, Ciara needs to go though, she's just one note eye candy and that screentime would be better used on quality secondary characters like Big Mick or Salmon.

Wonder whatever happened to Scorpio actually. Him and his crew (Shady Ganley!) were absolutely gas altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I thought that episode was great, felt like it was from season one or two. They've made Buzz into a bit of a nonsense character and he isn't anywhere near as funny as he was, but apart from that I thought it was very funny. Eddie dressed as Steve Jobs was brilliant.

Good to see some of the crewe from season 1 and 2 in it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I watched a tonne of the vipers vids recently and they're brilliant. Obviously I'm not saying he's the Irish Charlie Brooker but his vids are like an Irish "swipe"... Is actually working for RT or what? One character he has is a local guy in his 40s that hangs around the pub and he's priceless :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just saw the episode from last week, the one with the American uncle.

It was very very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just saw the episode from last week, the one with the American uncle.

It was very very poor.

Probably the weakest of the three episodes alright but still had a few funny moments.

Last one tonight I think. Always find 4 episodes is a bit short for a series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not great again tonight but Simcard’s eulogy was brilliant. The origin story of the Viper was good as well, great voice dubbing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Super episode. Possibly best one ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Jaysus I love leather mini skirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Super episode. Possibly best one ever

Ah, here!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

few funny moments in the last episode, like french toast crying over the viper, but the burial scene was awful, the aunt and tommy tiernan bit wasn't funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bits of it didn't work but overall I thought it was good.

it feels like a hardy bucks show

Thought it was another poor episode, Viper clowning around in Thailand was funny, but apart from that it was just silly, the third series was silly too, but there was enough laughs to paper over the flaws, they're just not funny anymore, hate to say it but I think they've run out of steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Was there only 4 episodes in this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

CM24 wrote: »
    Was there only 4 episodes in this season?

Yeah, and if the length of the series was to keep it as tight as possible, then I commend that. That's a big problem that the film ran into where they tried to expand what started out as a 10 minute joke out to 90 minutes.

Final episode was hilarious. The tape from 1997 was made all the funnier by dubbing the kid versions of themselves with their adult voices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Any more series planned?

M

Any more series planned?

Not sure, there was no mention of it in last week's RTE new season launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Any more series planned?

Oh I'd hope not.

Its gone to S**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

The Hardy Bucks have arrived on Netflix. 4 seasons available but Is it just me or are some of the episodes different from previously aired stuff. Maybe it just been a while since I watched them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Glebee wrote: »
    The Hardy Bucks have arrived on Netflix. 4 seasons available but Is it just me or are some of the episodes different from previously aired stuff. Maybe it just been a while since I watched them.

Noticed it there last night - on the front page of my UK Netflix. Couldn't help but watch the first episode. Not sure I'll be going back tbh. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The youtube stuff was their best work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

is this totally new content?

M

obi604 wrote: »
    is this totally new content?

No it's what was previously shown on RTE, I didn't like the last series at all. There's rumours of a new series but no actual filming has teken place or release date yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

No it's what was previously shown on RTE, I didn't like the last series at all. There's rumours of a new series but no actual filming has teken place or release date yet.

Based on details they posted on Twitter over the last year, it seems they are pretty unhappy with the limitations of RTE.

Like most people have said... YouTube stuff was very good, series 1 was okay but most of the rest is poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That's them ruined so.

RTE poison everything they touch. There may be script editors that could help them but no good ones work for RTE.

And with Jane Geogan having the last word on everything... This will be Trouble in Paradise 2: Swinford Nights.

decent prediction

The second series on RTE is the best thing they've ever done, better than the YouTube stuff, the series they had last year was so bad, they should probably knock it on the head.

M

The second series on RTE is the best thing they've ever done, better than the YouTube stuff, the series they had last year was so bad, they should probably knock it on the head.

Yes Season 2 is the best for me, in particular episode 2 where they get broadband in to the cottage.

Yes Season 2 is the best for me, in particular episode 2 where they get broadband in to the cottage.

Im looking at that at the moment on Netflix, I cant remember any of this stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

seems to be all new stuff on netflix. they plot is largely the same but they have reshot everything by looks of it.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    seems to be all new stuff on netflix. they plot is largely the same but they have reshot everything by looks of it.

no they haven't????

I thought if looked different for wharever reason.

I thought if looked different for wharever reason.

What parts, just as a matter of interest? I think the character of Eddie's girlfriend, the one from Fair City done a lot of damage to the comedy and tone in the show. The original characters, especially as a group dynamic (ie Boo, Eddie, Buzz and Frenchtoast) were neglected.
    Maybe it was just a case of "never change a winning formula" for me. Or maybe the material was running dry and they were getting other writers involved .
    The Viper character also just became a parody of himself, (and he originally was just a parody already (albeit a brilliant parody!!)

To end on a brighter note...............

"Any biscuits"

"I , eh, have"

"Get them"

One of my favourite ever, and just so simple, moments in Hardy Bucks !!

I was looking at Season 2 and thought that it had some different parts from the stuff aired on RTE, I could be just mixing it up, its a while since ive seen any hardy Bucks stuff.

M

I was looking at Season 2 and thought that it had some different parts from the stuff aired on RTE, I could be just mixing it up, its a while since ive seen any hardy Bucks stuff.

Yes I was a little confused too, I think they redid some of their Youtube stuff for Season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

no they haven't????

The stuff with Lexis training for instance is completely different no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just had a quick look on netflix all the episodes I checked were the same as their RTE series which follows a different story from the original Youtube series but reuses many of the jokes.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    The stuff with Lexis training for instance is completely different no?

No?

The King of the Town was one of the best TV episodes.

Maybe i am wrong though? !

Old thread but seen reports of RIP Scorpio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Yeah tragic news Skyboy.

Advertisement