Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardy Bucks - THE TV SERIES

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭SHREDDER

I've pissed away enough time on this thread. Now I need to get back to testing water samples from the corrib river.

There's a life outside the world of TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Irish_Mafia

Does anybody know the name of the tune that's playing in the viper's car,good episode by the way but not a patch on the older one's,they had a lot of quick humour which suited the short segments!

It is miles ahead of that sh1te shown tonight

English Class? Never seen It any links?

This is Nightlive got slated to ****, never seen a full episode, though I liked what I seen. Any sentients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

SHREDDER wrote: »
    I've pissed away enough time on this thread.

No shit :D
    coupling
    2 pints of lager
    royal family
    American Dad
    2 and a half men
    scrubs
    king of queens
    Mitchell and web look
    8 out of 10 cats
    ask what ever the **** his name is
    max and paddy
    my family
    Vicer of dibly
    red dwarf
    Anything from Ben Elton
    Alexis sayle
    Will and Grace
    Cybil
    Happy days
    caroline in the city
    Spaced
    2 and a half men
    The Nanny
    Happiness (What the ****??)
    Gavin and stacey
    The cosby Show
    The PJ's (Woeful)
    US Office
    Punk'd
    That 70's show
    The Bernie mac show
    Dharma and Greg
    How I met your mother(Paint by numbers broad lets tick the boxes E4 repeat mainstream American ****e for Buffy lovers)
    8 simple rules
    Mock the week
    My name is Earl
    The one with Jim Belushi
    The other one with Danny Devito in Philadelphia
    Drew Carey show (**** Off)
    Home Improvements
    Every body hates Chris
    Everybody loves Raymond
    Futurama
    My Hero
    2 and a half men
    flight of the conchords
    George Lopez
    Malcom In the Middle (First series was good)
    Saved by the bell the new ass
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men

To settle this once and for all, given that television is subjective many people will enjoy a show while as many despise it. Saying that the Hardy Bucks show is dreadful is not unpatriotic nor does it mean the poster is some self hating Irish man.

*What was broadcast on RTE was a truly dreadful 22 or so minutes of self-indulgent **** with 1 truly great sight gag contained. The rest fell as flat as Twink's face. There really is nothing in the show thus far to warrant giving it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I've pissed away enough time on this thread. Now I need to get back to testing water samples from the corrib river.

On the Galway hooker beer again Eddie?

Which one?

Maybe I'm sick, but I love this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L47Ye2_90U&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's no Partridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

English Class? Never seen It any links?

This is Nightlive got slated to ****, never seen a full episode, though I liked what I seen. Any sentients?

Are you winding me up sonny?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't think you should go by RTÉ attempts at comedy in the past, obviously it is easy to slate such attempts. But on occasion the do something good. But what I have noticed in the last 3 years is that they have divided people's views.

But in fairness he's very funny.

Are you winding me up sonny?:confused:

Like I said I never seen it. RE - Is there a link? father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Loved that show. Does anyone think that the inspiration for the character was in part the lawyer character in carlitos way played by sean penn?

Like I said I never seen it. RE - Is there a link? father?

For The English Class?

http://tvsales.rte.ie/autumn/content/entertainment/the-english-class.html

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theenglishclass/

I heard it did well in Poland :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

IE
    coupling
    2 pints of lager
    royal family
    American Dad
    2 and a half men
    scrubs
    king of queens
    Mitchell and web look
    8 out of 10 cats
    ask what ever the **** his name is
    max and paddy
    my family
    Vicer of dibly
    red dwarf
    Anything from Ben Elton
    Alexis sayle
    Will and Grace
    Cybil
    Happy days
    caroline in the city
    Spaced
    2 and a half men
    The Nanny
    Happiness (What the ****??)
    Gavin and stacey
    The cosby Show
    The PJ's (Woeful)
    US Office
    Punk'd
    That 70's show
    The Bernie mac show
    Dharma and Greg
    How I met your mother(Paint by numbers broad lets tick the boxes E4 repeat mainstream American ****e for Buffy lovers)
    8 simple rules
    Mock the week
    My name is Earl
    The one with Jim Belushi
    The other one with Danny Devito in Philadelphia
    Drew Carey show (**** Off)
    Home Improvements
    Every body hates Chris
    Everybody loves Raymond
    Futurama
    My Hero
    2 and a half men
    flight of the conchords
    George Lopez
    Malcom In the Middle (First series was good)
    Saved by the bell the new ass
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    2 and a half men
    You don't like much comedy, do you? I mean there's some genuinely great sitcoms in there.

Don't get me wrong.. there's plenty of turds but have you seen them all? Because I think putting fantastic comedies like 'Spaced' and 'Flight Of The Conchords' (to name just two) in with the likes of '2 And A Half Men' is just wrong!

On 'Hardy Bucks', I'm afraid I haven't watched the first episode yet but I did find the web series funny.. but not quite the innovative gut-busting laugh that others did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

SHREDDER

what connection do you have to the production of this show?

Oh, and enough of the bickering now kids..

I'm all for discussion but if I see the term "anti-Irish" or "moral highground" again (in a Television thread for f*cks sake), I'm gonna consider locking this thread up.

It's veered so far off the tracks that if it wasn't for the 'Hardy Bucks" in the thread title, I wouldn't have a notion what this thread was discussing.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    You don't like much comedy, do you? I mean there's some genuinely great sitcoms in there.

Don't get me wrong.. there's plenty of turds but have you seen them all? Because I think putting fantastic comedies like 'Spaced' and 'Flight Of The Conchords' (to name just two) in with the likes of '2 And A Half Men' is just wrong!

On 'Hardy Bucks', I'm afraid I haven't watched the first episode yet but I did find the web series funny.. but not quite the innovative gut-busting laugh that others did.

Dear Basquille, I have seen most of these shows for I have been a Telly addict for years. We share the same sentiments in the list it seems. Have you recently watched spaced recently though? It was grand at the time. But it's very cheesy. It had some good moments. Though Nick frost does my cranium in a bit.

Flight of the conchords, well I threw that in for the craic. But Two and a half men.................. The child.............. Sheen.............. the other dude.............oh god helpus.........................please!...................Cheers.

Any time I flick onto Paramount or comedy central it's always on.
    I was going to go on a typical rant, though I feel actions speak louder than words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-WHfRzTNS0

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Loved that show. Does anyone think that the inspiration for the character was in part the lawyer character in carlitos way played by sean penn?

Without a doubt.

Dear Basquille, I have seen most of these shows for I have been a Telly addict for years. We share the same sentiments in the list it seems. Have you recently watched spaced recently though? It was grand at the time. But it's very cheesy. It had some good moments. Though Nick frost does my cranium in a bit.

I was going to go on a typical rant, though I feel actions speak louder than words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-WHfRzTNS0
    Well.. don't go on a list rant if you've only seen most of the shows. I'd never slam anything before watching it.

And christ... you can't go around saying Spaced was "grand at the time. But it's very cheesy. It had some good moments" and then throw in a clip from 'Family Guy'. Pot, kettle..! :D

I still love 'Spaced'... own the Special Edition DVD. I always got the impression they had an absolute blast making it and the references still hold up so well. Jar Jar (the delivery of "what a prick!" gets me every time)

That and 'Community' are the only TV shows in the last 10 years to really GET pop culture references.

Anyways, back on topic..

basquille wrote: »
    Christ... you can't go around saying Spaced was "grand at the time. But it's very cheesy. It had some good moments" and then throw in a clip from 'Family Guy'. Pot, kettle..! :D

I still love 'Spaced'... own the Special Edition DVD. I always got the impression they had an absolute blast making it and the references still hold up so well. Jar Jar (the delivery of "what a prick!" gets me every time)

That and 'Community' are the only TV shows in the last 10 years to really GET pop culture references.

Fair doo's, some of family guy woeful. Though the episodes written by Tom Devaney are very funny. A friend of mine gave me all the episodes, so I gave them a chance. It got better as time went on, though even I was reasonably offended by the Aids song.

Here is something i would consider to stand the test of time. Especially The fact Noel Edmonds was lampooned. "It stimulates the part of the brain known as shatners bassoon!!" Absolute Genius! Custard Gannets!
    Ha ha ha!

By the way i hate Guinness ads! Just throwing it out there while I'm at it. Who's with me?

BTW

The thing about Irish TV Comedy is that we do very little of it, the Americans and the British produce tons of comedy each year many of which are turds, e.g. a second series of a bad remake of Reggie Perrin :( but then they don't have to worry 1. Money wise and 2. because they will prob have at least one hit.

Don't get me started on my pet hate :D

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    BTW

The thing about Irish TV Comedy is that we do very little of it, the Americans and the British produce tons of comedy each year many of which are turds, e.g. a second series of a bad remake of Reggie Perrin :( but then they don't have to worry 1. Money wise and 2. because they will prob have at least one hit.

Don't get me started on my pet hate :D

Reggie Perrin, Jesus. I seen half an episode of that. It didn't know what was going on. It had Martin Clunes making out with a sexy collegue in Finland.
    Somehow I wasn't convinced.

Whats that other one on BBC 3. About a couple in a bedsit. Pure Guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DAN85

Does anybody know the name of the tune that's playing in the viper's car,good episode by the way but not a patch on the older one's,they had a lot of quick humour which suited the short segments!
    +1
    Anybody know at all?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

DAN85 wrote: »
    +1
    Anybody know at all?:confused:

Chemical brothers - the big jump

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Irish_Mafia

Chemical brothers - the big jump

Thanks a million,much appreciated!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dirk Anagram

If any of ya are watching the Hardy Bucks repeat on Monday night, stick around for "Craic Whores 2: The Ballad Of Slutmagic" afterwards at five to midnight... a fine night of homegrown TV comedy.. :)

The first one was on last Monday night and this is the sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMrfMLUezg

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

Hardy Bucks seems to mostly rely on its alleged humour being tucked between the lines. Whether that's in cod-imitation of real life young waster types out "in the schticks", or in cute hoor idioms and expletive neologisms, or in watching the (mostly failing) small-time schemes of the central character whom the audience is supposed to see as a bit of a lovable wee scoundrel. A minor rogue apparently worth the fictional fly-on-the-wall documentarian's camera time, and our very real time as the show plays out.

At some point (and for me, that point had better come quickly in a 25 minute show), any 'vibe' of laid-back slacker humour HAS to stop being just a vibe, and actually be replaced by proper jokes. The jokes can be pratfalls, can be very witty barbed replies, can be background visual gags, can be a perfectly timed grimmace, and so forth. BUT: they have to be two things - well executed, and plentiful. Hardy Bucks failed on both counts.

Even when actual jokes appeared (a rarity), they were poorly delivered or forehead-smackingly lampshaded as to what the punchline was going to be. Stone the crows, I never expected him to go on stage as Chuck Norris. Oh wait, I did. Using the old gag formula (basically, a character says something like "I'm not going to do it" ... then later says "I'm NOT going to do it!" ... then even later we cut to scene at the end, of the character doing exactly what he said he would not) is no crime at all, but good writers manage to use these tried-and-tested gag formulas with a bit of a new twist, or subvert them, or at least they minimise the lampshading/foreshadowing so as not to make the punchline too obvious.

Most everyone has had pals acting the eejit back home, or down the pub, or out on the town. It might be hilarious there and then, but that does not necessarily mean such antics translate into comedy gold in a scripted TV comedy setting. That old trope of the Irish being 'up for the craic' is a different kettle of fish from our country's television writers, editors and actors being able to make stellar homegrown TV comedy. The humour is weak and vague in Hardy Bucks. Having a student-heavy web following means fup-all to me - millions watch crud like X Factor and buy abominable download singles every week, so popularity has nothing to do with quality.

As an aside, by far and away the best modern Ireland-based comedy production remains Apres Match. Barry Murphy, Risteard Cooper and Gary Cooke continue to put the rest of mainstream Ireland-based comedy to shame. Wacky morning DJs with their tedious D-grade topical pop song parodies, cheap and nasty comedy panel shows where 3 hours of filming still only manages to produce 30 minutes of distilled effulent. Lame radio prank calls and Duffy's unfunny Fridays. I'd love to see the Apres Match team get more time on Irish telly, instead of just being tagged onto the end of sports programmes.

Critics (whether some of us lot here on Boards, or professionals elsewhere) frequently get lambasted for 'only looking for the bad points', or being humourless, or being anti-Irish, or being a 'begrudger', or many other frankly lazy retorts that try to deflect from criticism instead of actually trying to address the criticisms head-on with solid counterpoints as to why a product is actually worthwhile after all. But I suppose in some people's eyes, the Hardy Bucks team being relatively young and inexperienced with professional comedy is all the excuse needed to go easy on a production that is lacklustre. Just say things like "De're legends!! A great bunch a' lads!", and nothing of substance, for it is a crime to analyse comedy in any way deeper than that.

There's plenty of bad comedy shows out there. There's plenty of "mildly amusing" comedy shows too. The latter category is damned with faint kudos indeed. Who wants to quarter-smile when a better written show, a better acted show could've made you bellylaugh until your sides hurt? And there's no end of sycophants out there whose praise of mediocrity does the Hardy Bucks crew and performers no favours in the long run.

TL;DR ?

Unfortunately, Hardy Bucks was not schturdy last Monday, and I never thought it much cop on YT before that either. Put that in your pipe and "schmoke" it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Who wants to quarter-smile when a better written show, a better acted show could've made you bellylaugh until your sides hurt? And there's no end of sycophants out there whose praise of mediocrity does the Hardy Bucks crew and performers no favours in the long run.

Well said.
    Thoroughly agree with your post.
    Points about lampshading, tired tropes and acceptance of mediocrity etc really well made.

There's plenty of bad comedy shows out there. There's plenty of "mildly amusing" comedy shows too. The latter category is damned with faint kudos indeed. Who wants to quarter-smile when a better written show, a better acted show could've made you bellylaugh until your sides hurt? And there's no end of sycophants out there whose praise of mediocrity does the Hardy Bucks crew and performers no favours in the long run.

and I thought I was hard on TBBT! It was quite late when you posted that diatribe. AA Gill once wrote that Fr. Ted was far too obvious in terms of comedy, the set ups were seen a mile off, Aurthur Mathews wrote a letter pointing out all of the surreal moments in Fr. Ted's first episode e.g. Fr. Dougal looking out the window with a pair of binoculars/ cut too close up of ants. TBH I always felt AA Gill was right Fr. Ted was a fairly obvious comedy. The time when they are sprayed with the slurry comes to mind, but then I also see Fr. Ted's very surreal and obscured comedy. Does it match Reginald Perrin's surreal and obscure comedy? probably not, but it is still a quality sitcom. And no I don't think that we should compare Hardy Bucks to either, not quite yet.

I have to admit that I was very down on Hardy Buck 2 years ago when it appeared on Storyland, TBH I thought it was one of the worst entrants but as it had a major online following it succeed in winning. And while I might not be a fan of X-factor etc we should say "well done" to those contestants for getting up there and singing each night.

I think to focus on one bad fairly ordinary comedy set up such as the bad "Chuck Norris" impersonation is over looking that the guy looks like Chuck Norris, I was hoping he wouldn't go as Chuck Norris but then we realize that in reality he would have won, but perhaps that is trying too hard to explain that joke and going somewhere it is not. But then at the same time I am only focusing on 3 aspects of the show which I enjoyed. They where the Cop-exchange, the guy in the Taxi and also a 3 door taxi.

As for Apres Match I agree, however there are plenty that don't, but I believe that they are anti-Irish but that is another conversation and only relates to one person that I know, who happens to be anti-Irish. I disagree that they should be given a full time show, except for the 3 place play off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

I might've been a bit harsh on Hardy Bucks last week when I posted here. Watched the repeat last night (was only half-watching last week) and it wasn't as bad as I first thought. looking forward to tonight's show. :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

A&E docos please!

Don't tell them about Rescue 117. Oh Wait they know about that show.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_colmhayesshow.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

I have to say watching them on the saturday night show was funny.. bad in every way which mad it funny.. The viper even showed a ball or two...

The saying hello to his ma at the end would be any lad from down the west would do... aa la winning streak..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Most over analysed show ever to hit RTE.

It's only a laughs lads, keep it easy.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhkyboy!

Watched the first episode now before it was taken off the RTE Player.

I don't know.. it wasn't nearly as bad as people are making out. There was a couple of great lines in there (among some mediocre ones mind) and the scene with the Garda in Zimbabwe was very funny!

I mean it's a 26 minute show versus.. what were they.. 10 minute shorts on YouTube. It can't be belly laughs for the entirety. As someone who wasn't expecting too much (as I didn't love the web series as much as some), I actually enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Now im normally one to give out but i like this show but it was much better on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rewatched it this morning as I got confused and thought there was a second episode out.
    It held up well, found a few lines I missed/didn't appreciate the first time around which were very funny.

There are things that could have been done better of course.
    The Saturday night show was a bit painful to watch really, but it doesn't help that you could tell Brendan O'Connor though it was a load of sh1te.
    You can't have that type of act/guests on if you aren't going to be fully supportive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

just on time...phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Much better than the 1st episode so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Definite improvement!

On about baggers attacking his mother...

"Them carry TB...wha...like Trevor Breenan" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Observe me, observe me!!

aww that Viper is some bollocks!:D
    "story needle díck?"
    "poo manchu!"

priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

the fookin donkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"these lads are veeegans"
    "whats that, sci fi ****e?"
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

So... many.... quotes.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Durkan I'm inside her, look at me! I'm inside her and there's nothing you can do about it.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

The scene with the foam hitting the old couple having a meal, brilliant!! :D

Advertisement