Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best guitarist threads nominate

Options
  • 21-03-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

How many people here have heard the likes or Coryell, Martino, McLaughlin or de Lucia.

Every time I see the same nominations. The Edge, Slash, Kirk, Young. These guys have nowhere near the skill level of the guys above.

Listen to Dragonsgate by Coryell.

Who is your favourite guitarist

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I doubt he'd be considered the "best" but I'm quite fond of Paul Gilbert.

Andy McKee is up there, too. And I like Eric Johnson. There's a lot I'm forgetting, though, I can never remember single names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

How many people here have heard the likes or Coryell, Martino, McLaughlin or de Lucia.

Maybe not in this forum, but there is a good chance that these names would be familiar to the people who frequent the "Jazz/Blues" forum ;)

However, I agree that you get a bit fed up with the same old names popping up.

While they are probably not "the best", some of my favourite lesser known guitarists would be :

Larry Carlton

Emily Remler

John Etheridge

Bill Frisell

Kenny Burell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Jonny Greenwood because he's more musician than guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've always thought it's a shame that most of the best guitarists aren't very well known and that their work is usually overlooked by the majority.

Some of my favourites:
    Frank Zappa
    Rory Gallagher
    Robert Fripp
    Allan Holdsworth
    Shawn Lane
    Johnny Marr
    Jason Becker
    Mark Knopfler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Best guitarist and The Edge in same thread. LOL! :pac:

• Advertisement