Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car garages that offer good scrappage?

• 21-03-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I have a 7 seater car that broke down on me today..i'm still waiting on it to be towed so don't know the extent of the damage to it yet but i'm guessing it's going to cost a lot to fix

Would a Waterford garage take it if it wasnt repare and would i be able to trade it in without getting it fixed and still be entitled to scrappage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

snuggles09 wrote: »
    I have a 7 seater car that broke down on me today..i'm still waiting on it to be towed so don't know the extent of the damage to it yet but i'm guessing it's going to cost a lot to fix

Would a Waterford garage take it if it wasnt repare and would i be able to trade it in without getting it fixed and still be entitled to scrappage?
    is it ten years old???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

its a 02..i've found out its the water pump thats gone so not too bad to fix but the tax and petrol is killing me..i want to downgrade to something smaller

i've seen a car in a garage for 4k and my car according to carzone is worth 6k..is this a goer at all do you think? can you trade in a car thats worth more than the car you're getting or is that not the done thing? I havent a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ya can indeed a pal of mine downgraded from an audi rs3 to a renault megane now thats a big step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

:)thats good to know thanks a million..i was going to talk to the garage tomorrow but didnt want them thinking "listen to yer wan on the phone on about "downgrading!" ":D I just can't keep the car i have with the 60 euro petrol a week and the 600 euro a year tax..its all small journeys so it's eating the petrol..i need me a little micra or something

thanks for the advice:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If its only the water pump, and no damage has been sustained in terms of the timing belt, etc (which the water pump normally runs off), and the car's in otherwise good condition, then you will likely lose less on getting it repaired and driving it into the ground than changing car. Values on Carzone are always unrealistic. More useful to look on the Revenue VRT calculator to see an estimate of the Open Market Selling Price - you'll be surprised at how little it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

waterpump and timing belt is an easy job but it does take time. With the price you pay to get it fixed you may aswell keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

What happens to car that go under the scrappage scheme? Are they scrapped?

I have a car that would qualify for it and I wouldn't pass it on to my worst enemy. Is there a chance a dealer would so no to it once he had a look at it if I'm purchasing it under the scrappage scheme.

What happens to car that go under the scrappage scheme? Are they scrapped?

I have a car that would qualify for it and I wouldn't pass it on to my worst enemy. Is there a chance a dealer would so no to it once he had a look at it if I'm purchasing it under the scrappage scheme.
    what kind of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Toyota Corrolla

Toyota Corrolla

is she still going like? If its not worth shag all and they dont take it in as scrappage lemme know. i know a few people into hot rod racing :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement