Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plug in processor?

• 21-03-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I have an old laptop and the processor is a celeron and has just about had it. As the laptop is fine otherwise it occurred to me it would be grea t if you could get a processor that you could plug and play and that would takes over from the inbuilt processor. Is there anything like that available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

You can replace the processor in practically all laptops, what make and model is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

you'll need to replace the processor. you'll also need one that's compatiable with your motherboard. my brother tried installing a newish enough processor in his ancient (9 years old counts as ancient, doesn't it? :P) laptop and it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

What makes you think the processor is gone? The way your talking it sounds like the computer has slowed down.. if the processor was gone it wouldn't even switch on, and it is very difficult to diagnose a dead processor when it could just as easily be the mainboard. Only way to know is to try it in a mainboard known to be working..

If it is just running slowly then the main thing you could do to get it back a bearable speed (Which is kind of hard with a celeron in the first place) would be to reinstall windows, you should have got disks with the laptop first day to enable you to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭TheGobb

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    You can replace the processor in practically all laptops, what make and model is it?
    compaq presario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TheGobb wrote: »
    I have an old laptop and the processor is a celeron and has just about had it. As the laptop is fine otherwise it occurred to me it would be grea t if you could get a processor that you could plug and play and that would takes over from the inbuilt processor. Is there anything like that available?

Probably not worth doing anything with, laptops aren't really upgradable. Its probably time to get a new laptop, good news is there's great value out there at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement