Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands You've Given up On

Options
  • 21-03-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

What I mean by bands you've given up on is bands that no longer make great albums anymore, but release medicore albums instead. Here are the bands I've personally given up on:

Type O Negative - I was very very dissapointed with 'Dead Again'.

Opeth
    - I'm not saying the newer albums are crap, but are not my cup of tea. The last truly great album for me for this band was 'Blackwater Park' and possibly 'Deliverance'.

Def Leppard
    - All the albums after 'Hysteria' were pretty terrible and bland with a couple of class songs here and there.

Mytic Circle
    - I wasn't mad into their new death metal direction, and for the last great album was 'The Great Beast'.

Anathema
    - The much newer albums are okay, but none of them are as class as 'Judgement'.

Cradle of Filth
    - I didn't like the last album, and the other albums were quite good especially 'Nymphetamine', which propably was the last decent album. Although they have never really topped incredible albums like 'Dusk And Her Embrace or Cruelty And The Beast'.

Dimmu Borgir
    - 'In Sorte Diaboli' is an okay album with some outstanding songs, but it just lacks the awesome song stuctures of both 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' and Spiritual Black Dimensions'. If the next album is something similar to 'In Sorte Diaboli' but worse, I'll definitely be giving up on them.

U2
    - They haven't made anything as incredible as 'Achtung Baby' in recent years and have been going downhill for a long time now.

In Flames -
    'Come Clarity' was alright with a couple of great songs but nothing as brilliant as 'Clayman' from 2000. I heard most of 'A Sense of Purpose' but I was not that impressed.

Rush
    - I really couldn't get into 'Snakes And Ladders' at all, and it just seemed very very underwhelming to me. The last great album/s for me were either 'Counter Parts or maybe 'Roll The Bones'.

Old Man's Child -
    I really really tried to get into 'Slaves of The World', but I found it quite a bit uninteresting in comparison to class albums like 'Born of The Flickering, The Pagan Prosperity, Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion' etc. The re-worked version of 'Born of The Flickering' was very good, but that was the only song I loved from 'Slaves of The World'.

Metallica
    - I heard 'Death Magnetic' and I didn't think it was that great apart from 'The Day That Never Comes' but otherwise the rest of the album didn't do anything for me. It seems the last really great album they made was 'The Black Album/self titled album' from 1991 and obviously the classic albums from 1983 to 1988.

Tiamat -
    This band was really great once upon a time when they made awesome albums like 'Clouds, Wildhoney and A Deeper Kind of Slumber'. 'Prey did have some excellent songs and was fairly good. 'Amanethes' was a let down to me, and I just couldn't get into it at all.

The Cult
    - 'Born ito This' was a terrible album with a horrible demoish guitar sound and practically no leads. I haven't bought anything by this band in years execpt for 'Rare Cult, Sonic Temple and Ceremony' from 1991.

So what bands have you given up on, and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Have to agree on U2 - I'm sure many will..

Have to add The Dandy Warhols... Started a downward slide during "Thirteen Tales of Urban Bohemia" (they kind of went pop at this stage) and then "Welcome to the Monkey House" seemed like total rubbish to me... I think they have done something since then but haven't been bothered enough to find out what...

Also Korn - liked everything up to "Issues"... (Even liked "Life Is Peachy") but the next album, "Untouchables" had a few good tracks and ran out of steam... Didn't like "Take A Look In the Mirror" at all so gave up on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

komodosp wrote: »
    Have to agree on U2 - I'm sure many will..

Very true. There's also talk on a remastered version of ''Achtung Baby'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

I agree with U2, though I do think they're capable of making another classic album, and I think they will.

As for The Cult, Born Into This wasn't great (except for Dirty Little Rockstar), but Ian Astburys song with Slash (Ghost - on Slashs solo album) sounds good, so the 4 EPs The Cult are planning to bring out this year could be very good. They've sort of moved away from their Gothic roots and more towards hard rock.

As for who I think, Billy Idol is one. I know he hasn't done much in a while, but Cyberpunk was horrific. Billy Idol (album) and Rebel Yell are classics. I think he even brought out a Christmas album a couple years back!

Van Halen need to release some good material. They haven't brought out a decent song since the early 90s. Van Halen III was a car crash. One of the worst albums I've ever heard. I think Eddie said they'll be in the studio in 2010, so fingers crossed.

Dir en grey - was hoping they'd get back on track after the reception 'The Marrow of a Bone' got. Then they released 'Uroboros'...
    Metallica - Held onto the hope for years that they'd kick Newsted and everything would be great. Then they got Rob, and released Death Magnetic; which was good but nowhere near what they produced once upon a time
    Most old bands - For the most part I'm sick of them releasing the same stuff over and over again. But at the same time wouldn't feel right hearing them play anything different. I think there comes a time when a band should just retire with dignity

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No mad on the direction Sonata Arctica have gone in their last 2 albums, especially the latest one. Haven't given up on them but I'm not optimistic about their next release either

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Dir en grey - was hoping they'd get back on track after the reception 'The Marrow of a Bone' got. Then they released 'Uroboros'...
    Metallica - Held onto the hope for years that they'd kick Newsted and everything would be great. Then they got Rob, and released Death Magnetic; which was good but nowhere near what they produced once upon a time
    Most old bands - For the most part I'm sick of them releasing the same stuff over and over again. But at the same time wouldn't feel right hearing them play anything different. I think there comes a time when a band should just retire with dignity
    theres no win with some people! change styles and youre slated for" selling out".. stay the same and its "stop repeating the same stuff"

lol WHAT DO YE WANT!! (Change styles for some, minature american flags for others )

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Type O Negative

- Dead Again was a let down. Type O have released some of my favourite albums, but it has become a case of buying their albums in case it is good rather than expecting it.

Metallica

- Pretty much everything since Load has been a let down. Death Magnetic is a very average album that would be panned if it had any name other than Metallica on it's cover. I think the only reason it got as much positive hype as it did, was because of the total rubbish that came right before it.

Bad Religion

- Loved these guys, but recent releases have lasted maybe two spins in the cd player before becoming dust gatherers. They have an album due this year, but for the first time since I first heard them in 1988, I am not looking forward to a release from them. Maybe I will try to get a listen to it but I am not pushed if I don't.

Rob Zombie

- Killed it for me this year with the release of Hillbilly Deluxe 2. Was expecting a lot from the album. His previous album, Educated Horses went down well with me, and because the new album was carrying the Hillbilly name I had high hopes. What I got was Rob Zombie trying to sound like an Alice Cooper that was trying to sound like Rob Zombie.

There are plenty of other bands, but this will do for now.

Actually another good thread would be one where you list bands that you keep buying albums of in the hope that they have another good album, let alone a great one, left in them.

I agree with you there, 'Death Magnetic' was a very average album indeed. I'm also somewhat sceptical about both Iron Maiden's and The Scorpions new albums.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Type O Negative

- Dead Again was a let down. Type O have released some of my favourite albums, but it has become a case of buying their albums in case it is good rather than expecting it.

Metallica

- Pretty much everything since Load has been a let down. Death Magnetic is a very average album that would be panned if it had any name other than Metallica on it's cover. I think the only reason it got as much positive hype as it did, was because of the total rubbish that came right before it.

Actually another good thread would be one where you list bands that you keep buying albums of in the hope that they have another good album, let alone a great one, left in them.

I also thought 'Dead Again' was boring when compared tp the previous albums. Thats also not a bad idea for a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Helloween - The daddies of Power-metal and influences on countless bands and artists since the 1980's. How the mighty have fallen... No truly good albums released since the late 1980's (Better Than Raw from '98 had its moments, but for me was simply not good enough). Add to this a plethora of pedestrian and so-so albums (Master Of The Rings, The Time Of The Oath et al) and absolutely, utterly terrible albums (Pink Bubbles Go Ape, Chameleon, The Dark Ride, Rabbit Don't Come Easy and shítting all over their classic Keeper Of The Seven Keys albums with an updating version). Yes, how the mighty have fallen and keep trying to drag their legacy with them. At one time, one of my favourite bands. Now, I can barely even listen to even the classic albums for what they have done to their legacy. For shame...................:(

DazMarz wrote: »
    Helloween - The daddies of Power-metal and influences on countless bands and artists since the 1980's. How the mighty have fallen... No truly good albums released since the late 1980's (Better Than Raw from '98 had its moments, but for me was simply not good enough). Add to this a plethora of pedestrian and so-so albums (Master Of The Rings, The Time Of The Oath et al) and absolutely, utterly terrible albums (Pink Bubbles Go Ape, Chameleon, The Dark Ride, Rabbit Don't Come Easy and shítting all over their classic Keeper Of The Seven Keys albums with an updating version). Yes, how the mighty have fallen and keep trying to drag their legacy with them. At one time, one of my favourite bands. Now, I can barely even listen to even the classic albums for what they have done to their legacy. For shame...................:(

Great shout. Did you get a listen to their most recent release? What a lot of shyte.

And don't get me started on the third album in the Keeper of The Seven Keys series. Been a downward slope after Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt 2. Funnily enough Chameleon does not bother me at all anymore.

• Advertisement

I agree with you there, 'Death Magnetic' was a very average album indeed. I'm also somewhat sceptical about both Iron Maiden's and The Scorpions new albums.

The thing with Maiden, imho, is that they are more likely to release a good album than a total stinker, and they have seemed more energised than they have been for years in recent tours so I am hoping that energy transfers to their creative abilities and onto the new album.

I have a weird little theory about Maiden albums based on the cover art. The worse the artwork, the less chance I will love the album. It has served me quite well to date as the albums that I think have the worst artwork are No Prayer For The Dying and Virtual XI with Dance Of Death coming third.

It is for that reason that I am hoping the artwork on their website and what you have on the Maiden album thread is just tour artwork for the new album tour, and not cover artwork. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

What I mean by bands you've given up on is bands that no longer make great albums anymore, but release medicore albums instead. Here are the bands I've personally given up on:

Type O Negative - I was very very dissapointed with 'Dead Again'.

Opeth - I'm not saying the newer albums are crap, but are not my cup of tea. The last truly great album for me for this band was 'Blackwater Park' and possibly 'Deliverance'.

Def Leppard - All the albums after 'Hysteria' were pretty terrible and bland with a couple of class songs here and there.

Mytic Circle - I wasn't mad into their new death metal direction, and for the last great album was 'The Great Beast'.

Anathema - The much newer albums are okay, but none of them are as class as 'Judgement'.

Cradle of Filth - I didn't like the last album, and the other albums were quite good especially 'Nymphetamine', which propably was the last decent album. Although they have never really topped incredible albums like 'Dusk And Her Embrace or Cruelty And The Beast'.

Dimmu Borgir - 'In Sorte Diaboli' is an okay album with some outstanding songs, but it just lacks the awesome song stuctures of both 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' and Spiritual Black Dimensions'. If the next album is something similar to 'In Sorte Diaboli' but worse, I'll definitely be giving up on them.

U2 - They haven't made anything as incredible as 'Achtung Baby' in recent years and have been going downhill for a long time now.

In Flames - 'Come Clarity' was alright with a couple of great songs but nothing as brilliant as 'Clayman' from 2000. I heard most of 'A Sense of Purpose' but I was not that impressed.

Rush - I really couldn't get into 'Snakes And Ladders' at all, and it just seemed very very underwhelming to me. The last great album/s for me were either 'Counter Parts or maybe 'Roll The Bones'.

Old Man's Child - I really really tried to get into 'Slaves of The World', but I found it quite a bit uninteresting in comparison to class albums like 'Born of The Flickering, The Pagan Prosperity, Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion' etc. The re-worked version of 'Born of The Flickering' was very good, but that was the only song I loved from 'Slaves of The World'.

Metallica - I heard 'Death Magnetic' and I didn't think it was that great apart from 'The Day That Never Comes' but otherwise the rest of the album didn't do anything for me. It seems the last really great album they made was 'The Black Album/self titled album' from 1991 and obviously the classic albums from 1983 to 1988.

Tiamat - This band was really great once upon a time when they made awesome albums like 'Clouds, Wildhoney and A Deeper Kind of Slumber'. 'Prey did have some excellent songs and was fairly good. 'Amanethes' was a let down to me, and I just couldn't get into it at all.

The Cult - 'Born ito This' was a terrible album with a horrible demoish guitar sound and practically no leads. I haven't bought anything by this band in years execpt for 'Rare Cult, Sonic Temple and Ceremony' from 1991.

So what bands have you given up on, and why?

I think Rush is an unfair one to have in there tbh obviously they havent released "Classic" albums in the last 10 years, but their stuff from the 70s and 80s more than makes up for that, and Snakes and Arrows was decent imo

And Metallica fair enough only because they've only released 2 albums in the last 10 years.. who do they think they are? Tool?:pac::pac:

I think Rush is an unfair one to have in there tbh obviously they havent realised "Classic" albums in the last 10 years, but their stuff from the 70s and 80s more than makes up for that, and Snakes and Arrows was decent imo

And Metallica fair enough only because they've only released 2 albums in the last 10 years.. who do they think they are? Tool?:pac::pac:

Your probably right about the classic Rush albums making up for it, but nevertheless it really wasn't my cup of tea at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CFC1905_NK

Kings of Leon. Anything after and including "Sex On Fire" is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Metallica because the last two albums they released were awful, and Megadeth too for the same reason.

Iron Maiden too, for the exact same reason oddly enough.

Metallica because the last two albums they released were awful, and Megadeth too for the same reason.

Iron Maiden too, for the exact same reason oddly enough.

I agree with about both Metallica and Megadeth. The last Iron Maiden album was alright, but nothing as class as either 'Brave New World' or the classic 80's albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No mad on the direction Sonata Arctica have gone in their last 2 albums, especially the latest one. Haven't given up on them but I'm not optimistic about their next release either

Feel exactly the same way. Unia is ok but not as good as the first four, The Days of Grays is just pure ****e. Still holding out hope that the next one won't suck...

I've completely given up on Lacuna Coil too. Last 2 albums have been absolutely appalling. Best way to enjoy their newer stuff is to mute the sound and just keep looking at Cristina Scabbia. :pac:

I've completely given up on Lacuna Coil too. Last 2 albums have been absolutely appalling. Best way to enjoy their newer stuff is to mute the sound and just keep looking at Cristina Scabbia. :pac:

The last two Lacuna Coil albums were indeed awful. Christina is very hot no doubt about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have totally given up on Lacuna Coil also. I couldnt even muster up the energy to go see them in Dublin recently. Their sound has become so bland and very American with the last 2 albums. I console myself by listening to their first 3 albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Did you get a listen to their most recent release?

I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to any Helloween for a long, long time. They've just completely ruined themselves in my mind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

say what you want about the new stuff, but at least we'll always have the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

The only one that really comes to mind is In Flames. I'm more disappointed in them than anything. Their first few albums, particularly Jester Race, were such classics and now everything they release is just so dull, uninspired and watered-down. I've long given up on any chance of them being able to get close to that melodic high of the mid/late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

yeah In Flames newer stuff is alright I suppose but its bollox compared to their older stuff.

Killswitch Engage are getting progressively worse IMO.

Can't really think of anymore as I only listen to bands that are consistently awesome........:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

yeah In Flames newer stuff is alright I suppose but its bollox compared to their older stuff.

Killswitch Engage are getting progressively worse IMO.

Can't really think of anymore as I only listen to bands that are consistently awesome........:P

They've just gotten ridiculously predicible once you've heard one Killswtich song you've then heard them all. As they basically all follow the same structure, tone and subject matter..

rgt320q wrote: »
    The only one that really comes to mind is In Flames. I'm more disappointed in them than anything. Their first few albums, particularly Jester Race, were such classics and now everything they release is just so dull, uninspired and watered-down. I've long given up on any chance of them being able to get close to that melodic high of the mid/late 90s.

I agree, I think the last truly great album they released was 'Clayman' from 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Metallica

Sepultura

IcedEarth

Obituary

DarkThrone

too many others to chose from: But on the plus all bands above has had some unreal releases in their time, it just seems their Time has ran out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Muse
    Incubus
    Soulfly
    killswitch engage
    Korn
    weezer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Muse
    Incubus
    Soulfly
    killswitch engage
    Korn
    weezer

Muse? I really like their new album.

The thing with Maiden, imho, is that they are more likely to release a good album than a total stinker, and they have seemed more energised than they have been for years in recent tours so I am hoping that energy transfers to their creative abilities and onto the new album.

I have a weird little theory about Maiden albums based on the cover art. The worse the artwork, the less chance I will love the album. It has served me quite well to date as the albums that I think have the worst artwork are No Prayer For The Dying and Virtual XI with Dance Of Death coming third.

It is for that reason that I am hoping the artwork on their website and what you have on the Maiden album thread is just tour artwork for the new album tour, and not cover artwork. :D

I think your are definitely right there about Maiden. Those three albums really weren't the best, although No Prayer For The Dying does have some great songs here and there.I also hope that is just the artwork for the album tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Metallica (obviously), Megadeth, Tool (last album was ****), Anthrax, Maiden, Judas priest, Obituary.

Advertisement