Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange question

Options
  • 21-03-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just had a bit of an odd question, came across an item in work, and it seems to me like it's a bullet, although I'm not 100% sure. I've attached a two photos of it. Any help appreciated :P

IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg

Oh and if it is a bullet, what's the safest way to dispose of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Looks like a empty pistol casing pushed on to an empty rifle case, to me. Is there an indentation in the center circle on each end? if so they are both spent casings and harmless. I the longer side has no indent it could be a live round.

could you put up a photo of the end of the longer side.

Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Plus one for Fish's answer.

You should be able to take them apart. Be careful as the container may contain something, ...... then again it may just be stale air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

hi Fish, thanks for the response, the first pic is of the end long side the second is the shorter.

IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg

Sure if it's harmless, i'll just dump it in the bin :P

Thanks again,
    -Rob

Yep, harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It actually looks a bit like the trench art stuff from WW1. Herself got me one for a birthday once, a pencil built into a 303 round. There's a whole history behind that kind of thing.

This one seems a bit more modern though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

haha, well when you know feck all about bullets it's good to have somewhere to ask. Glad to know it's not live :D

Cheers for the help guys. Into the bin it goes :P

Actually, just so I know for the future, the base of a spent round has a dent in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

It looks like a 5.56mm casing shoved into a 9mm, it would only be dangerous if you swallowed it, choke hazard ....... DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH!:D

BoB_BoT wrote: »

Actually, just so I know for the future, the base of a spent round has a dent in it?

The dent is where the firing pin hits the primer(little round cap on the end), which gives a spark which in turn ignites the powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If the primers were out it would make for a good fox caller, ie rabbit in distress call

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

baha, its a .223 pushed into a 9mm case

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

noodle650 wrote: »
    baha, its a .223 pushed into a 9mm case

You are correct sir. Here is one i made earlier......................like 2 minutes ago :)

picture.php?pictureid=5529&albumid=939&dl=1269273451&thumb=1
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I know, I'm a pedantic baxtard!! :D
    It's actually a 5.56 casing. (From what I see of the stamps on the base)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I wonder would there be a few bob rolled up inside it? Would have been a good place to roll up an emergency fifty euro, if the person hadn't have lost it! :rolleyes:

Mallards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

mallards wrote: »
    I wonder would there be a few bob rolled up inside it? Would have been a good place to roll up an emergency fifty euro, if the person hadn't have lost it! :rolleyes:

Mallards

A guess would be you are not far from Carnagh Rifle/pistol military range.

Young lads pick them up and stick them together.

Deffo look mil spec as both are serial numbered and not caliber.
    Since the army only use 3 small arms cals that are very different they do not need to stamp caliber on them.
    where as the serial number says what box/batch it came from and who signed it out of stores!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

where as the serial number says what box/batch it came from and who signed it out of stores!

To the best of my knowledge, thats a myth. Huge amounts of the same batch are used by units all around the country, so you probably couldn't tell which unit used it, never mind who signed it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

dos29 wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, thats a myth. Huge amounts of the same batch are used by units all around the country, so you probably couldn't tell which unit used it, never mind who signed it out.

the headstamps are manufacturers stamps;
    http://members.shaw.ca/cstein0/uscenter.htm

Advertisement