Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large saloon - opinions please

• 21-03-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi All ,

I am considering a 2007 / 2008 large saloon, either the BMW 520 or the Audi A6 TDI SE. Any thoughts out there?

Have not seen too many lovers of / comments about the Audi A6 on here. Any reasons why, are they problematic?

They certainly are not as common as the 520 which is something that appeals to me.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You would get an unbelieveable deal on an old model E class now if that interested you.
    Whats your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭solid 5

Was considering going up north / the U to make a saving, albeit a small one.

My budget would be circa 23.5K - 24.5K.

Should have read "to the UK". Just considering that approach.

Surely the 520d's will start to fall significantly with the launch of the new model?

Am a cash buyer so would hope to secure a decent deal up north / UK or preferably in the Leinster area. I posted as I rarely see people commenting on or identifying the Audi A6 as a great car. Test drove one the other week and i thought it was superb. The space in the interior and the quality feel are impressive.

Currently own a BMW 318.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

thats a good amount of money, think about a a8 also they are really comfortable and luxurious or a 7 series. The ride on a 520 is much firmer than the a6 (especially in msport guise) although this is said to improve the handling on a commute a more comfortable car may be in order. Fuel economy on a 520d is ridiculously good though. The interior of the A6 is a bit less quality IMHO than a BMW.

Give us an idea of your requirements and we can play at spending your money for you.....

Nothing wrong with the A6 at all imo. It would be wise to look into the motor tax rate on any car you look at. IMO a 2007 520d for example is a terrible buy as it has 4 times the motor tax of an 08 making it pretty unsaleable in future. Of course, if bought at the right price, it would be worth while. Because of this the 07 models here are valued that bit lower but 07 values in uk wont be reflecting this. It is most likely that you will get an 07 model of low emission cars cheaper here than uk.

• Advertisement

Also there is really good value in used car in the ROI at the moment, and I think if you make your money here you should consider spending it here also, to preserve jobs and create new ones including your own.

No major requirements.........

Metallic black / grey paint, low mileage (sub 45,000 KM's), reasonably economic to run, integrated sat nav / parking sensors would be great to have, travel comfort a priority and am looking at a diesel mode. Leather interior a nice to have rather than a priority.

Fuel economy on the 520D and tax efficiency are superb. I like the A6 in terms of general look and feel, nervous about maintenance issues.

One annoying thing (seems to be in the new A4's also) is that the foot rest beside the clutch is far too narrow. Your foot rides over it and clips the clutch when resting (and I dont have particulalry big feet).

Auto or manual?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the pedal design in the newer rhd audis is atrocious. Whoever signed off on it should be shot. I ruled out the new A4 after 5 minutes in it. Not an issue if you go for auto though.

If comfort is a priority, rule out the sline/msport versions straight away, but even then neither the A6 or 5 series ride too well. If comfort is the main concern maybe look to a merc.

I would prefer to support the local economy, I genuinely would. It would also be far more convenient for me and is definitely my first preference.

However, I walked in a couple of well known BMW garages and a couple of well known Audi garagesaround Dublin. Explained that I was a cash buyer seeking to purchase asap and that if they could get within 750 euro to 1000 euro of the UK prices (including VRT) of an '08 model then i'd do a deal on the spot. I was fully prepared to pay a premium to deal down south and let them know that.

All of them said no chance, sterling killing them and the money is flooding up north / across the water. Saved them & myself a lot of time / messing about.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was shocked when I first started up the A4 for a test drive, i couldnt figure out what was going on with my feet. I thought it was me doing something wrong with my foot placement, so much so that for the first 5 mins I kept looking down and tried to adjust my foot placing.

Bizarre setup, surprised I have not heard of more complaints. Really put me off the A4. Definitely not as bad in an A6 but is an issue.

Have never driven an automatic - would it still have the same accelleration as the manual? Dont mind either way really.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

solid 5 wrote: »
    Yeah I was shocked when I first started up the A4 for a test drive, i couldnt figure out what was going on with my feet. I thought it was me doing something wrong with my foot placement, so much so that for the first 5 mins I kept looking down and tried to adjust my foot placing.

Bizarre setup, surprised I have not heard of more complaints. Really put me off the A4. Definitely not as bad in an A6 but is an issue.

Have never driven an automatic - would it still have the same accelleration as the manual? Dont mind either way really.

All the UK reviews mention the bad pedal placement on the rhd A4, not heard as much re the A6. Audi dealers generally tell you 'you get used to it', ie you learn to sit an a bit of an angle and not use the footrest!

The average driver can accelarate quicker in an auto. I'd definitely at least test drive one, the 520d auto is well matched to the diesel engine.

Anymore food for thought out there?

Any unhappy A6 owners out there either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Man, to have €22k to drop on a large saloon, I envy you my friend. Heaven for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Always fancied the S80 myself to the 5 Series or A6, the standard spec on the S80 is fantastic compared to it's German counterparts but the motor tax is a bitter pill to swallow:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200950196178733

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

How's about the new C class Merc, toying with the idea of one myself at the minute ;)
    The amount of 5's on the road coupled with the new model is bound to affect resale down the line.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Mercedes/C-class/details-459391-Mercedes-C-class.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

STForSale wrote: »
    How's about the new C class Merc, toying with the idea of one myself at the minute ;)
    The amount of 5's on the road coupled with the new model is bound to affect resale down the line.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Mercedes/C-class/details-459391-Mercedes-C-class.asp

You're not comparing like with like there, C-Class is in the same bracket as the 3-series, OP's looking for something larger, e-class sized

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Really, and here was me thinking I was making a suggestion.
    OP also said he test drove an A4, yes I can read but will stand on the bold step if it makes you fell better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

STForSale wrote: »
    Really, and here was me thinking I was making a suggestion.
    OP also said he test drove an A4, yes I can read but will stand on the bold step if it makes you fell better!
    I think perhaps you're being a little over-sensitive.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

OP if you go back a two or three years more.... some lovely large luxo barge saloons available,

730D
    A8
    S-Class

just a thought... would rather the 7 series over the 5 any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

I'm in a similar position to the OP, but with a car to trade and a slightly higher budget for the right car.
    The problem at the minute appears to be around the new versions of cars:
    5series
    E Class
    A6 (facelift), how long for the next model.

I like the look of the e61 and the older e class but to spend 33-36 K and know that it will drop big time in the next 2 years is a bit of a worry.

Do people think the price of the e61 will drop much in the next couple of months when people start trading them in against the new model?

You could maybe buy an 08 5 series after the new model has been around for a few months. The 08 will have lost a fair bit at that stage so you wont get too badly hit. You will also be getting the low tax rate etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I noticed a huge step in prices between 2007 & 2008 5 Series, E Class & A6 diesels. So much so that I reckon there is such a disparity that it almost makes more sense (& long term cheaper to run) to buy a 2007 one despite higher road tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Of course it does. Road tax in Ireland is more a pyschological barrier than a financial barrier - too many sheep led by the "OMG THE TAX!" proclamations to realise what separates the wheat from the chaff in this end of the market is spec, condition, and value.

€458 difference in annual road tax between a '07 520d and a '08 520d. If you hang on to it for 3 years that's €1374. Have heard of sheep paying €10k extra for a '08 over a '07 - how that works on any mathematical level outside of a creche I'll never understand.

Not to mention unless you're doing reasonably good mileage so as to benefit from the marginal cost savings of a diesel TCO over a petrol TCO you're stuck with the smirks of genuine car enthusiasts on the road who regard the 520d badge as a bit of a joke. Large saloons are all about creamy 6cyl and 8cyl petrol engines - anything else is a rep straitjacket :)

Cheers Mojomaker - the 2007 numbers certainly stack up if you can get one with a great spec and reasonably low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

I noticed a huge step in prices between 2007 & 2008 5 Series, E Class & A6 diesels. So much so that I reckon there is such a disparity that it almost makes more sense (& long term cheaper to run) to buy a 2007 one despite higher road tax.

Don't forget about the facelift of the 5 series in 08 and the new auto gearbox.

In saying that I do agree that there is value out there for 08.

Good hunting OP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have an 09 A6 2,0TDi and absolutely love it to bits. There is some B0ll0x talked on here about smooth ride or 6/8 cylinders, mostly by Jeremy Clarkson wannabees. The A6 is an fantastic Motorway cruiser, hitting 50+ Mpg at 130KMH Cork to Dublin. Great spec and looks stunning. Completely effortless drive. Facelifted in 09, and I believe the brand new A6 is due next year.

Cheers Whiterebel,

Much appreciated. Have asked the various dealerships when the brand new (complete facelift) A6 is out and two of them replied 2014. Where did you hear it would be next year?

MojoMaker wrote: »

€458 difference in annual road tax between a '07 520d and a '08 520d. If you hang on to it for 3 years that's €1374. Have heard of sheep paying €10k extra for a '08 over a '07 - how that works on any mathematical level outside of a creche I'll never understand.

Well I dont agree, I would buy the 08 every time.
    Fair enough, if you buy the 07 & are not worried about selling it on anytime soon, the extra tax cost in itself might not be the end of the world but if you are the typical irish buyer who sells n every 2 or 3 years, the 08 is the better choice imo. You will save the 1400 tax over 3 years & you will then be selling a car which is 1 year newer & also selling a car which is much more desireable to the next buyer due to tax level. This tax difference will be even more important when the value of the car is getting smaller also.
    IMO, the 07 version of say a 520d would need to be cheaper as follows:

6k/7k due to being a year older
    €458(tax differerence) x 15 ( approx useful life left in car) = €6870

Therefore if a 07 520d was 12 to 14k cheaper, it is then worthwhile.

What about the a lexus gs 450h. €1500+ for an 07. €630 approx for 08. At what price is the 07 a good purchase?
    530d etc going from 1300 to 630 approx, Are they are worthwhile buys on 07 plates? IMO, they will be saleproof in a few years when the tax is a large % of the cars value.

Even if someone intends to keep a car forever & is not worried about resale, it is never a good idea to buy something that is hard sold on as things change, any car can be a nightmare & to be stuck with something that much of the market sees as undesireable to not a nice place to be when you need to sell

• Advertisement

Cheers Whiterebel,

Much appreciated. Have asked the various dealerships when the brand new (complete facelift) A6 is out and two of them replied 2014. Where did you hear it would be next year?

You can take the dealer response with a large pinch of salt. They would tell you the A6 is a complete new model if they thought they would get away with it. I believe it will be in ireland next year.

2010 for the full face lift? Your kidding me, where did you get that info?

Second hand values will plummet in the old style (assuming the new style is a major improvement / in demand).......mmmm more food for thought.

Coming to ireland in 2011 that is ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cheers Whiterebel,

I can't remember, TBH, but I didn't mind at the time, because it was 2 years away......that bit stuck in my mind. Could have been one of the motoring mags at the time.

Advertisement