Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Both: 22 and a 223?

Options
  • 21-03-2010 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Does anyone have both a 22lr and a 223? If you already have the 22, what would be a good reason for the 223?

I was wondering what reason you may have for both, outside of a gun club.

The 22 would be fine for bunnies. However, what about the 223? Would culling foxes on the farm be the 223's job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

yep thats the best reason id say, thats what im getting mine for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

jamesomara wrote: »
    The 22 would be fine for bunnies. However, what about the 223? Would culling foxes on the farm be the 223's job?

Correct and right. I recently got a .223 for foxes only. I have the 30-06 for deer but its a little too much for foxes so i thought i'd go for a pure foxer rifle. The .223 fitted the bill best.

The .22 is great for the bunnies and other smaller pests but when i go for a fox i want a good clean shot/kill for my sake and for the animals sake. It should fall where its hit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have both as well. 22lr for small vermin rats, bunny's, and birds. 223 for large vermin like foxes.
    I also put down as a reason "Long range vermin hunting" when applying for the 308 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jamesomara

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry your target got to be a bit off-target, pun intended.

No offense to you or your shooting capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Does anyone have both a 22lr and a 223? If you already have the 22, what would be a good reason for the 223?

i have a .22lr for rabit and targot shooting. a .223 for fox and targot shooting. and a 6.5x55 for deer.

try to meet your f/o in person and explain it face to face. even better if you can meet your super cos he has to sign off on it ,
    be confident and let him know that you know your stuff and you should have no bother.

i called my super before i even bought my .223 and he asked me everything under the sun as to why i needed a third rifle. he even wanted me to give up one of the other guns but i had an answer for everything so he eventualy gave up.
    it was at that point that i applyed for license and it was back in 6 weeks.
    i did ring them every week till i got it thou, i pestered them into submission.
    they tend to let it sit there unless you persiet .

best of luck;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Same as above, I have .22 for small vermin for up to 100m and .223 for longer distances and target shooting. The .22 is a great rifle for short distances, but can be frustrating when trying to hit & kill targets >100m :rolleyes:
    No problems getting the licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

why don't you get rid of the .22lr for a .22wmr{magnum} i have one and it's great for mr fox

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

I have a 22 lr and use a 204 for foxs,I did have a 22 mag but it lacks reall killing power at long distances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 imincanada

It seems that theres a real issue here in Ireland with proving the need for a certain firearm.
    22lr rabbits and the odd odd fox
    22mag rabbits at greater rangers, feral cats and some fox shooing
    223 100% fox shooting with long range vermin option that is simply not possible with 22mags small range.
    One deer caliber for deer and vermin

One 12 gauge s/a shotgun for rough shooting
    One 12 gauge D/B for competition shooting

One or even two 12ft/lb air rifles (.177 and .22) for vermin control around out houses and for shooting into trees

Maybe a 20 gauge shootie as well just for the hell of of it!

Oh and my vintage collection of 2 old shotguns that still work..

That 10 guns-- whats the big deal???

Maybe i'd like a hmr, does that mean one of the others has to go??

Surely this is all OTT.. I could understand the cops coming around banging on the door idf i was asking for my 20th gun!! but its easy to see that over a life time its easy to have many steel girlfriends:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Have a 22 wmr going to trade it for a 223 was considering buying a 223 as a second rifle but its just more money for a scope etc. So will get the 223 100% fox rifle and the odd fox shoot here and there..

• Advertisement
Advertisement