Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music that you actually hate... like... ACTUALLY

Options
  • 21-03-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of artists out there that I don't like for one reason or another. Some just produce music that offers little interest to me and then start to annoy with posturing frontmen or undue popularity causing my elitist mind to fill with rage. But a lot of it is mostly just bad because it fails at being good.

I'm not looking for the huge lists of artists that loads of people love but you dislike. I'm looking for examples of music that in actuality, if you'd never have to see them, or have to hear about them, if you had no insight to the music whatsoever, just sounds like nails on a chalkboard to your soul.

For example, I don't like trance music at all really but that's because I think it's just boring and unimaginative compared to other electronic genres. I'm sure if I found myself in a club playing trance music, I could deal with it, so it doesn't make this list.

My example of something just offending my aural senses outright would be anything by Deerhoof. GOOD F*CKING GOD, punk instrumentals never did a lot for me but that girls vocals make my brain turn to f*cking mush. Aphex Twin made Ventolin to be obnoxious but it sounds like MOZART compared to Deerhoof. God I hate her stupid voice and the stupid quirky sh*t she sings.

Another would be that Killers song 'Smile like you mean it', that song makes me want to stab people in the f*cking face. I never liked anything they made but that song just took the piss, the fact that it got so much radio airplay when I was working in a shop made me want to tear down the very foundations of society. They should play this to Al Qaeda cells before they go on missions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I'm deffo with you on that Killers song. I don't even mind some of their stuff but that one drives me up the wall. Another one is 'Have A Nice Day' by Stereophonics. GGGRRRRR!!! :mad:

But for me my most hated music ever is far and away the ****ing Backstreet Boys. I absolutely ****ing hate them with a passion. Just typing the name makes me want to smash my laptop of the wall. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE them. I hate all boybands but those ****ers... Make my blood boil. I hope they all burn in hell... CUNTZ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

The Killers
    Coldplay
    Stereophonics
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Good Charlotte
    Keane
    Bloc Party
    The Saw Doctors
    U2

I could go on and on. The list is pretty much endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Killers
    Coldplay
    Stereophonics
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Good Charlotte
    Keane
    Bloc Party
    The Saw Doctors
    U2

I could go on and on. The list is pretty much endless.

Read OP, give reasons and examples :/

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Has to be Black Eyed Peas for me. The music its self is f*cking by the numbers unimaginative hip hop beats that have zero hooks or f*cking anything remotely f*cking interesting going on. Then the lyrics in their songs. I hope to Jesus they make that **** up on the spot because if they actually seen the muck sh*te they come out with written down then they would be fu*king ashamed with themselves if they had any brain between them.

Worst song has to be that song tonites going to be a good nite or whatever its called. Big steaming pile of sh*te. I would love to stab those f*ckers with a rusty spoon. You f*cking suck black eyes peas!

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

That new Owl City ****! It makes my blood boil with pure rage when I hear it. It's so sparkly and artificial, and it contains criminal abuse of autotune (another serious pet hate of mine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

f*cking by the numbers unimaginative hip hop beats that have zero hooks or f*cking anything remotely f*cking interesting going on

Worst song has to be that song tonites going to be a good nite or whatever its called.

/rant

Funny how you remembered the hook eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

All this talk of "hate", "rage", and "blood boiling" !!

Guys, it is just music ! Take it easy or you'll have a heart attack. You dont have to listen to it. There is such a thing as an "Off" button.

There is lots of music that I dislike, or that does not impress me in any way, but I could never say I hated it. :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rigsby wrote: »

Guys, it is just music ! Take it easy or you'll have a heart attack. You dont have to listen to it. There is such a thing as an "Off" button.

There is lots of music that I dislike, or that does not impress me in any way, but I could never say I hated it. :confused:

Eh, the whole point of the thread is to talk about music that causes people to react negatively. Did you not read the OP or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Eh, the whole point of the thread is to talk about music that causes people to react negatively. Did you not read the OP or something? :confused:

There is a difference between reacting negatively and hating. Yes, I did read the OP's post. I just dont understand the "hate factor". :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

a thread i like:)

Muse i can't stand, irritating sound and not the slightest bit talented either. Anything from the x factor/britain's got talent manufactured line i can't stand either, full of phoneys. I would also like to add Kings of Leon, that stupid 'sex on fire' most irritating guitar sound and vocal all in one awful song. I use to like Snow Patrol now i find them a boring pain in the neck and Gary Lightbody, the singer, is the biggest muppet ever. Boring and depressing Radiohead too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Muse i can't stand, irritating sound and not the slightest bit talented either.

Lol FAIL. I suppose you're some sort of bedroom musical genius we're yet to hear of :rolleyes:

I despise that whole R&B/Pop genre bollocks, and especially Beyonce. Her voice annoys the shit out of me and it nearly killed me when I found out it was her that sang 'Irreplacable' cause it's not that bad a song :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Has to be razorlight for me. Everytime i hear "america" i want to stab myself in the ears.

+1 on Owl City aswell. That song is tucking ferrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jaysus, I completely forgot 'Sweet Home Alabama'. I fucking despise that earsore with it's gay little riff and hick lyrics that a five year could've written :mad:

And don't get me started on that Kid Rock knock off.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Kold wrote: »
    My example of something just offending my aural senses outright would be anything by Deerhoof. GOOD F*CKING GOD, punk instrumentals never did a lot for me but that girls vocals make my brain turn to f*cking mush. Aphex Twin made Ventolin to be obnoxious but it sounds like MOZART compared to Deerhoof. God I hate her stupid voice and the stupid quirky sh*t she sings.

I'd never heard of Deerhoof before. Just watched a few tunes on YouTube. Her voice is truly annoying but I think if she wasn't the singer they wouldn't be that bad. Repeat plays of her singing however would definitely result in insanity.

Rigsby wrote: »

I believe that you can't say that you truly love music unless you hate some of it. Some music is anti-music therefore I hate it! You can't say all music has some kind of merit, just turn on the radio and flick around the stations, most of it is anti music. I don't think I should have to tolerate it so I'll reserve my right to hate it and become angry when I hear it or come across people who like it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Daniel Powter - Bad Day. this song makes me physically angry. Oh poor Dan, had a bad day and there was a sad song on the radio. Please. Although it turns out he had a fair few bad days after the success of this song. Poor guy.

I also can't stand latin music, **** off with your rythmns it's all the same. And i wouldn't be too fond of Raggae either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol FAIL. I suppose you're some sort of bedroom musical genius we're yet to hear of :rolleyes:
    In fairness, you don't have to be musically talented to have the right to criticise musical acts - if that were the case, nobody would be able to criticise anything ever.
    Would you be saying the same if it were U2 in that sentence instead of Muse? :p

I generally just ignore musical acts I dislike - but there is an exception: The Black Eyed Peas. Yeah I know they were already mentioned, but the rage... oh such rage. It's the cynicism of those ****ers that really gets to me - they just seem to hate music, but they want to make a living out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Dudess wrote: »
    they just seem to hate music, but they want to make a living out of it.

That one sentence sums it up completely my feelings about the Black Eyed Peas.

They are possibly one of the few bands in the world I can not possibly fathom the appeal of them. So, so sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ahhhh Black Eyed Peas. This thread is just perfect for them. No other "band" fills me with such anger when I hear them. There is shít music and then there is the Black Eyed Peas. So relentlessy fúcking shít with god awful lyrics. What's worse is the smug look on their faces when they're spitting all this absolute shíte out of their mouths, they actually think what they're saying is cool.

If I had just one bullet to do what I wanted with, I'd be aiming it straight at that smug bastard William (that's right, your name is William, no dots in there you pretentious little fecker). Actually I'd line them all up in a row and see if I could take them all out with one shot.

Fair enough you don't have to listen to these things, to be honest I try not to. But some music IS upon listening, extremely unpleasant and yes it is a subjective thing but that's the quirkiness of the thread I reckon. I want to hear specifics rather than lists.

I completely understand the Black Eyed Peas thing.. It's just almost.. perverse. I mean I listen to music that has some pretty explicit content in it but this music is actually aimed at kids. It poses as innocent pop but gives them horrible messages about superficiality. It just seems like horribly insidious marketing devoid of artistic merit. The fact that they use the 'catchiness' to an almost precise formula. *shudder* awful awful stuff.

• Advertisement

+1 on black eyed peas, I detest their music, plus it's a really crap name for a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Siobhers

La Roux, La Roux, La Roux - agghhhh even writing that down fills me with anger!

Everytime I hear her "voice" especially that revolting bulletproof it makes me want to stab something through my ears so I dont have to listen to it anymore. Actually no I'd prefer to have vocal chords that she supposedly has removed! :mad:

Yeah....hate her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Severe lack of Soulja boy ITT.

Although his 'music' has a certain comical value to it which makes it hard to hate I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The Smiths :o I have tried, I swear to jesus, I have tried to like them but I cannot with any amount of effort short of the superhuman seperate them from that **** Morrisey. I hate everything about him, but I could forgive everything else if it wasn't for his voice. Annoying, because the lyrics are genius, everything else is pretty amazing, but I have to change the station or leave the room when I hear them.

Blackeyed peas of course. For one thing, what on earth do you mean that you've "Got to feeling"? You have to feeling do you? And that's not even the worst thing about the song.

Mumford and sons have been giving me attacks of the rage vomits recently as well.

I've always maintained that Morrissey's voice drips with smarm but I think that's what makes it him. I love the Smiths, I know that Morrissey is a prick but that's what The Smiths is, a great band with a pretentious prick at the helm... And it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I just can't deal with his singing! It's not just the smarm, I could deal with that, it's the whole way he dips and dives and even pronounces things, and how that combines with his actual voice. I like other singers who are obviously very influenced by him, but I cannot stand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

For me it's Oasis, can't stand them, over rated pub band with whiney vocals. It pains me to even think of their music. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I agree completely with the Black Eyed Peas hate, their stuff is really atrocious. Though, I must admit I like that song "Meet Me Halfway". Every other song of theirs I heard has wrecked my head.

I had more respect for their older stuff (which wasn't much better, tbh), before they added Fergie and sold out.

One artist that annoys me is Lady Gaga. It's weird, I actually like the music in her songs and her second album is pretty good but on her first...oh God, the lyrics are such ****e. All about finding guys who are rich, being rich, etc.. Nothing in there most people can relate too and the singles aside, the production on her first album is pretty crap.

I struggle to see how she made it so big off her first one. Like I said, her second one's way better.

A lot of these English indie bands (Razorlight, Babyshambles, The View, The Horrors) drive me nuts. The majority of them sound horribly pretentious and they all look like they were dressed by the same stylist. The music too does my head in. There's only a few of them I could give any attention to (The Coral,....em do Gorillaz count?), the rest all seem really average and identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

La Roux. Her voice makes me want to cut my ears off.

Also if I hear Sex on Fire one more time ...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

a thread i like:)

Muse i can't stand, irritating sound and not the slightest bit talented either.

You can say a lot of things about Muse but you have to admit the three of them, especially Bellamy have a LOT of talent.
    Boring and depressing Radiohead too.
    I've never found Radiohead depressing. Their music actually cheers me up.:pac:

Advertisement