Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music that you actually hate... like... ACTUALLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Hate that viva la vida coldplay song. It doesnt mean anything if you listen to the lyrics, It somehow associates the french revolution with the song.. for a 'cool' marketing factor I presume.

Hate that music they play on the radio after 11pm... weird hardcore techno dance rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Yikes...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/apr/07/will-i-am-sly-stone
    McGee on music: Will.i.am is the true successor to Sly Stone

The Black Eyed Peas man is easily the heir to the funk futurist, continuing the legacy of his musical genius

It's with eager anticipation that I look forward to the return of Sly and the Family Stone. I mean, it's Sly! His Coachella festival appearance and forthcoming album sit well within the reunion trend. My hope is that Sly's return inspires musicians again. The noughties were an excellent time for Sly-spotting (after being out of the spotlight for decades – with only brief musical forays in the 80s and 90s). Could 2010 be the year when Stone returns to the limelight?

I remember his previous, brief re-emergence in 2006, when he jammed with musicians paying respect to his genius at the Grammys (complete with blond mohawk and lamé jumpsuit, no less). Sly was rumoured to be making a comeback, with reports that he had been writing songs for Michael Jackson. And then ... nothing.

In 2009, Sly seemed to be back in shape when he embarked on a world tour, with a brief and monumental live hook-up with George Clinton's own acid-funk carnival last September. The tour received mixed reviews, but I suspect his Coachella show will be a wild and fitting comeback. Plus, his new documentary, Higher, will be released later this year, only adding to the inevitable Sly mania.

After pondering all the Sly activity and his legacy (from inventing psychedelic funk and laying the groundwork for hip-hop, to inspiring the likes of Prince and Parliament) I asked myself: Who today would be a peer of Sly Stone? And then I hit on the answer: Will.i.am.

The Black Eyed Peas man is easily one of the successors to Sly Stone. For a start, his band are brilliant. They make use of the same multi-cultural pop template as Sly, and Will.i.am pulls the same tricks too – namely, he has message songs that don't feel like message songs. Look at the brilliant My Humps, which exposes sexual gratification and objectification in a titillating number that sits firmly in the funk canon.

Will.i.am has been pushing positive messages through his music since the beginning of his career and, like Sly, he's competitive. After all, what's the point of writing a positive-message song if nobody is going to hear it? The Banana Splits nature of Will.i.am's music only adds to its hyper intensity – underneath, the songs are cleverly pushing pop, funk and hip-hop forward. With hit after hit, Will.i.am's skills have been put to the test with Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake and Pussycat Dolls.

As a producer, Will.i.am occupies the same eclectic role as Sly. He mixed psychedelia with funk, while Will.i.am brought the future of funk forward with The End, which I firmly believe is this generation's There's a Riot Going On. I welcome the re-emergence of Sly Stone, and look forward to exactly how he will continue the musical genius of Will.i.am.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Sinfonia's Post... oh sweet jesus!

Sly and The Family Stone are f*cking genius...

The only way black eyed peas and Sly should be mention in the same sentence is if the sentence is..

"the only funk band I can think of that is as amazingly sh*t as Sly and the family Stone are amazingly brilliant is The Black Eyed Peas"

And calling black eyed peas funk is a serious stretch of the meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Madonna i hate all her sh*t music acting like a 21yr old she makes me sick and the songs are like a cat being electrocuted cant stand her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Also hate marina and the diamonds. She can not sing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Sinfonia's Post... oh sweet jesus!

Sly and The Family Stone are f*cking genius...

The only way black eyed peas and Sly should be mention in the same sentence is if the sentence is..

"the only funk band I can think of that is as amazingly sh*t as Sly and the family Stone are amazingly brilliant is The Black Eyed Peas"

And calling black eyed peas funk is a serious stretch of the meaning.
    It's gotta be tongue in cheek. It's, it's just got to be.

In other news, Stand is one of the greatest albums of all time.

EDIT: Actually, it's like in the David Bowie episode of Extras when Ricky Gervais gets called for what he is by the bouncer:

"Bowie is one of the seminal artists of the last 35 years doing work tantamount to genius, whereas you've just made a camp, catchprased based comedy"

"Sly is one of the seminal artist of the last 35 years doing work tantamount to genius, whereas you, Will.i.am, have just made camp, cheap, uninspired, cynically marketed, tasteless, lowest-common-denominator based turd"

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

TBH i dont think there is any music i really despise THAT much. Theres alot of artists i really dont like but none would bring me to the point of tearing my hair out. Ffs, i could even see the funny side of Jedward!! Ive never been a fan of Speed Metal (i think! The one with the bass pedal going mental, the singer screaming instead of singing and the metranome set to max altho that could be a few different types of metal :) ) but while at times it makes me cringe, you do come across some that you can listen to even if it isnt your usual taste.

Altho, if i was to pick one, it would have to be what i think is called "Jumpstyle". Only heard a handfull of songs in that genre but most were utter sh*te! Still wouldnt upset me that much tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AlyTheHedgehog

Finally I can say I HATE RADIOHEAD without being heckled for the most part. What whiney c*nts! Nearly every Irish teenager worships them because of "Creep", which according to music buffs everywhere; is not even their best song. Not that I care and Thom Yorke is an ugly b*stered too. There rant over (and yes I have heard Radiohead before all yous start).:mad:

Also I despise JLS (Everybody In Love anyone?), Amy Winehouse, Chris Brown (girl beater), Lil' Wayne ( Lil' W*nker more like) and yes Mindless Self-Indulgence to name a few.

Finally I can say I HATE RADIOHEAD without being heckled for the most part. What whiney c*nts! Nearly every Irish teenager worships them because of "Creep", which according to music buffs everywhere; is not even their best song. Not that I care and Thom Yorke is an ugly b*stered too. There rant over (and yes I have heard Radiohead before all yous start).:mad:

Have you even HEARD Radiohead???
    :p

Anyway:
    1) I'm pretty sure that they're not even THAT popular with Irish teenagers now, seems to me like it's the twentysomethings that would fill up most of the fanbase.
    2) "Creep"?!? Yeowza, that's bringin' it back some years, the usual Radiohead debate is over Kid A and Amnesiac "ruining a once good indie rock band"!
    3) While I do appreciate the "whiny" tag, surely you don't want to listen to happy happy upbeat music ALL the time! Different moods etc.
    Anyway, you're very much entitled to your opinion, and I applaud your candour sir. But you're wrong :p:p:p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AlyTheHedgehog

Sinfonia wrote: »

Anyway:
    1) I'm pretty sure that they're not even THAT popular with Irish teenagers now, seems to me like it's the twentysomethings that would fill up most of the fanbase.
    2) "Creep"?!? Yeowza, that's bringin' it back some years, the usual Radiohead debate is over Kid A and Amnesiac "ruining a once good indie rock band"!
    3) While I do appreciate the "whiny" tag, surely you don't want to listen to happy happy upbeat music ALL the time! Different moods etc.
    Anyway, you're very much entitled to your opinion, and I applaud your candour sir. But you're wrong :p:p:p :pac:

Yes I f*king have, :mad: (did you not read through all of the post?). Just could not get into them no matter which any of their songs I listened to. And no of course not I don't want to listen to happy clappy **** all the time, there is a lot more darker bands that I listen to instead of Radiohead. Also I still think they are popular with teens (around the ages 14-16 lets say) in general.

They just get on my wick...alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

the "whiny" tag

Clever whining > stupid space-filling lyrics about having a good night or fancying someone or whatever. And at least they're whining about things worth whining about :p

(and yes I have heard Radiohead before all yous start).:mad:
    Yes I f*king have, :mad: (did you not read through all of the post?)
    Come onnn!
    El Pr0n wrote: »
    Clever whining > stupid space-filling lyrics about having a good night or fancying someone or whatever. And at least they're whining about things worth whining about :p
    Agreed. I'd also add that most of Thom's lyrics are charged by politics, societal observations, and all sorts of other mad shi'e, but they're generally speaking not self-piteous

Agreed. I'd also add that most of Thom's lyrics are charged by politics, societal observations, and all sorts of other mad shi'e, but they're generally speaking not self-piteous

You're preaching to the choir with me ;)

Lily Allen
    Kate Nash

Singing in those accents really annoys me for some reason, also the side-to-side head-bobbing attitude. Also I don't like the lyrics or music. They make me want to harm small animals. And that's how serial killers get started. See? Artists like these are a menace to society, and Marilyn Manson gets all the shit.

Lily Allen
    Kate Nash

Singing in those accents really annoys me for some reason, also the side-to-side head-bobbing attitude. Also I don't like the lyrics or music. They make me want to harm small animals. And that's how serial killers get started. See? Artists like these are a menace to society, and Marilyn Manson gets all the shit.

Lily Allen annoys me, but I kinda like Kate Nash, mostly because I like that song Pumpkin Soup. It really reminds me of Yoshimi...-era Flaming Lips. Adele, now SHE wrecks my head. She's doing the Lily Allen/Kate Nash thing without being fun... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ipad

mr hudson is awful.

also a lot of dance music is really tacky, awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The Saturdays.....can't stand them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lily Allen annoys me, but I kinda like Kate Nash, mostly because I like that song Pumpkin Soup. It really reminds me of Yoshimi...-era Flaming Lips. Adele, now SHE wrecks my head. She's doing the Lily Allen/Kate Nash thing without being fun... :p

Nashers is quite the fox too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nashers is quite the fox too.
    Whats with Nashers Alice in Wonderland look. Prefere OV's Annie Mac myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Radiohead is the big one for me. Specifically, OK Computer. It's just so dull and boring. Pointless.

The only song that's worth listening to is No Surprises, and even then it's let down by Thom Yorke's terrible singing, which sounds like the priest with the incredibly boring voice...

• Advertisement

Radiohead is the big one for me. Specifically, OK Computer. It's just so dull and boring. Pointless.

The only song that's worth listening to is No Surprises, and even then it's let down by Thom Yorke's terrible singing, which sounds like the priest with the incredibly boring voice...
    Okay Computer a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

facepalm.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

scouting for girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

the beatles!!!!!!! but not john lennon (haha that sounds so contridictive)

fruvai wrote: »
    facepalm.jpg
    Im immune to face palming. Images switched to off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

I hate any and all rap...it's articulation for the inarticulate.

It takes a nation of millons to hold us back from Public Enemy an amazing album Needs to be heard.

Skinback wrote: »
    I hate any and all rap...it's articulation for the inarticulate.

That's the most arrogant, idiotic and ignorant thing posted on this thread.

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien
    Grandmaster Flash
    Ghostface Killah
    Public Enemy
    Deltron 3030
    De La Soul
    Common
    Scroobius Pip
    The Roots
    (just a short list from my immediate memory)

Listen to any of them and say it's inarticulate.

I think the point in No Surprises was to hold a comparison between the disenchanted nature of the lyrics and the deadpan delivery of Thom's voice.
    "I'll take a quite life" etc., he wants calm and boring, not excitement..

Also, and trying to remove my own bias here, because I adore the whole album, but surely you don't find the 'heavier' moments of the album (Electioneering, for example, and the bit in the middle and outro of Paranoid Android) dull and boring?

The Tourist doesn't get mentioned enough when people are talking about what songs are really good on OK Computer... :)

• Advertisement

The Tourist doesn't get mentioned enough when people are talking about what songs are really good on OK Computer... :)

Ah there's no point, every track is a winner :) (But yes, fantastic song, and great closer)

Advertisement