Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What films/TV shows are you watching? *see mod warning, post #3*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Started two shows this weekend: Constantine and How to get away with murder.

Constantine was alright, preferred the movie and his dodgy Yorkshire accent really pisses me off (since I'm Yorkshire myself). The writer of the dialogue really just used every Yorkshire phrase in the book and each one is said about 50 times, alright we get it, he's from the North of England! Urgh...
    It also kinda reminded me of Supernatural, which kinda was iffy...maybe the show will find its feet after a few episodes.

How to get away with murder is really really good. I'm not a fan of crime dramas or thrillers but this one, i've watched all five episodes this afternoon and cannot wait till next week! I highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Just watched the 3 paintball episodes of Community. Holy shít they're funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Tonight's film was "Shifty", because Netflix is recommending a lot of British gangster movies to me.

A rather decent film about a crack cocaine dealer and his life basically falling apart over the course of a day. Poor acting in parts and tbh it's a bit forced in parts, but still worth a watch IMO.

Quote of the film: Character 1: "I hear it's a great time to be a drug dealer now because the government is so focused on the War on Terror."
    Character 2: "Yeah, but he's a Muslim drug dealer so he's f*cked either way."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Watched a documentary on netflix last night called "McCullin" about the photojournalist don mccullin who covered most armed conflicts of the last half century. Some of the photographs in it are extremely powerful. It makes you wonder how we as a species can do some of the brutal things we do to each other .

Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

For the past few days, I keep seeing references to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace in random, unconnected places so I took it as a sign that the Universe wanted me to watch it.

On episode 3 now and I can honestly say I've never come across so many ridiculously hilarious and quotable lines in one show.

"Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic too!"

"I ran the only way I knew how. By placing one leg in front of the other in quick succession. I had to help Reed, trapped in his office by a desk he could no longer trust. I had to help Sanchez, locked in a primal struggle 'twixt man and whisk. And I had to help the Temp, who was probably doing some filing or data entry. I pressed on, chased by a stapler that had my name on it. This was unbelievable, Liz was now turning my own stationery against me."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For the past few days, I keep seeing references to Garth Marenghi's Darkplace in random, unconnected places so I took it as a sign that the Universe wanted me to watch it.

On episode 3 now and I can honestly say I've never come across so many ridiculously hilarious and quotable lines in one show.

"Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic too!"

A friend gave me a loan of the series on DVD. I laughed the whole way through, but it just creeped him out. So he let me keep it. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

An File wrote: »
    A friend gave me a loan of the series on DVD. I laughed the whole way through, but it just creeped him out. So he let me keep it. \o/

Weirdo. You don't need friends like that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I watched the whole series in one sitting about 3 years ago, I must give it a re watch! Richard Ayode is brilliant in it. Definition of a cult classic!

Tonight's Netflix adventure: 50/50.

A 2011 movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogan. JGL is diagnosed with cancer and has a 50% survival chance, the film centres around him dealing with chemo and stuff, with Rogan providing comic relief. A really good film, with some genuinely terrific scenes of both humour (there's a scene where he's smoking weed with the two other patients he sits with during chemo) and serious stuff (the final night before the climax of the film).

Ending is a little ropey and the love interest which takes the form of Anna Kendrick as the naive young therapist felt a bit tacked on, but overall a film that's definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Interstellar is EPIC

• Advertisement

Last night I watched a documentary on Netflix called "The Unbelievers". It's basically about Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss tackling religion. It's an amazing watch (although imo Dawkins comes across a bit pompous).

I have to say, if you are a religious type prepare to have everything you believe in questioned!

Dawkins is a complete knobhead and is the absolute worst type of atheist.

Last night's Netflx adventure for me was Monster's Inc. Had never seen it, but remember the hype around it. It's a very standard Disney/Pixar film. Decent watch, but ultimately won't live long in the memory.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Dawkins is a complete knobhead and is the absolute worst type of atheist.

Last night's Netflx adventure for me was Monster's Inc. Had never seen it, but remember the hype around it. It's a very standard Disney/Pixar film. Decent watch, but ultimately won't live long in the memory.

Agreed. If it wasn't for the other guy in it, it would probably do more harm then good! Still a great watch imo.

So Harry Potter DHP2 was on RTE there.

People told me it was good.

It is mediocre at best, and the end is as horrendous as HBP and OotP.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Tonight's film was "Shifty", because Netflix is recommending a lot of British gangster movies to me.

A rather decent film about a crack cocaine dealer and his life basically falling apart over the course of a day. Poor acting in parts and tbh it's a bit forced in parts, but still worth a watch IMO.

Quote of the film: Character 1: "I hear it's a great time to be a drug dealer now because the government is so focused on the War on Terror."
    Character 2: "Yeah, but he's a Muslim drug dealer so he's f*cked either way."

Ever seen LayerCake ? Quality film (imo) Not so dissimilar by the sounds

Attack on Titan is on Netflix now.
    Why must Netflix lure me with such gory goodness?. I wanted to be productive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Who ever suggested Supernatural (probably 9gag) just finishing season 1. didnt actually realise how good it is. just 9more seasons to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

At the end of season five, just pretend that nothing else happened. For your sanity

Shouldnt have said that. got me all curious now. will want to end up reading the wiki page to get synopsis.

Watched the two seasons of the UK office last week and am halfway through the fourth season of the American one now. Kicking myself that I never bothered to watch them before. Brilliant show(s)

• Advertisement

True Detective is...amazing :O

Just finished watching Spirited Away. Not that familiar with anime and Japanese folkore, but what an amazing film. Even if just visually than anything else.

Have also recently watched My Neighbour Totoro and The Wind Rises. Discovered they were all creations of Hayao Miyazaki, as is Castle of Cagliostro; a film I've loved for a few years now. Need to hunt out even more of his works, so good.

BANZAI :D

Scrubs is on Netflix.

I've watched about 10 episodes over the past two days while eating dinner.

And people say I'm wasting my life...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

pajor wrote: »
    Just finished watching Spirited Away. Not that familiar with anime and Japanese folkore, but what an amazing film. Even if just visually than anything else.

Have also recently watched My Neighbour Totoro and The Wind Rises. Discovered they were all creations of Hayao Miyazaki, as is Castle of Cagliostro; a film I've loved for a few years now. Need to hunt out even more of his works, so good.

BANZAI :D

If that's the kind of thing you're into at the moment, watch Grave of the Fireflies, another one from Studio Ghibli. No film has ever made me cry so much, it was so, so good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

New obsession is The Fosters! So good

Anyone started watching Better Call Saul. its left me with an "oh wow cliff hanger" ACtually not a bad show. although no spoilers yet pretty dead in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've raced through Agents of Shield, and now I'm at a loss of what to watch. Stupid US mid-season hiatuses. This is why I only watch TV shows that are finished.

I hate the series Anger Management.

pajor wrote: »
    I hate the series Anger Management.

It's Two and a Half Men without the arguable charm the very early series of Two and a Half Men had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Haven't watched Anger Management yet. Two and a Half Men with Charlie Sheen is my guilty pleasure. Would love to see The Harpers come to fruition, but it's never going to happen. Shame how Angus T Jones seems absolutely brainwashed by religion at the moment.

Advertisement