Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What films/TV shows are you watching? *see mod warning, post #3*

Options

Comments

Numb3rs. Just procured the first season. From it's wiki page:
    The series follows FBI Special Agent Don Eppes (Rob Morrow) and his mathematical genius brother, Charlie Eppes (David Krumholtz), who helps Don solve crimes for the FBI.

A crime-solving mathematician? Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Is that good then? I was always curiously about it but was scared it would be awful as they can really feck up maths on tv sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Numb3rs. Just procured the first season. From it's wiki page:

A crime-solving mathematician? Sounds good to me.

I'll save you the bother of finding out how **** it is.

Seems like they got a nice idea and then had to dumb it down so much to get approved it's pretty much less about Maths than CSI.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Is that good then? I was always curiously about it but was scared it would be awful as they can really feck up maths on tv sometimes

I haven't started watching it, but apparently they have a team of mathematical consultants for each episode.
    They write the episodes and then consult the mathematicians though, so it's probably still slightly cringeworthy but I'll let you know if it's good.

And yeah Pyggy, I saw that clip on the irssi website I think. It looks awful there, but that's not the maths bit. I'm keeping an open mind until I watch at least one episode.

Oh actually... wtf is with the series summations when describing IRC using a metaphor of shipping channels? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

Just finished watching Dylan Moran like totally.

I love him! I've watched it before, but I've such bad memory that the jokes work the second time round just as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I watched some recorded "The Ricky Gervais Show". It's absolutely brilliant!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'll save you the bother of finding out how **** it is.

Seems like they got a nice idea and then had to dumb it down so much to get approved it's pretty much less about Maths than CSI.
    Words fail me. Really, they do.
    wayhey wrote: »
    I watched some recorded "The Ricky Gervais Show". It's absolutely brilliant!

I've been watching all of these on 4oD, they're fantastic. They're so horrible to Carl :P

I think I watch it half the time for Ricky's laugh- it's brilliant :D

What do you think of Stephen on it?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ricky's laugh is pretty awesome. Stephen doesn't really say much does he? He's sort of Ricky's bitch. I mean, he's even drawn at Ricky's side with both facing Carl (who is brilliant :P).

Yeah that's what I think... I saw on a YouTube comment (I know, what a reputable source) that he's got more of a role in the writing side of things like Extras but I don't think he adds a lot to the podcast. I suppose though if you'd someone with a lot of presence it'd take from Carl...

EDIT: I actually don't think that's possible upon some thought...

• Advertisement

Just finished the first series of Numb3rs.
    I really enjoyed it and I'd have to advise any mathsy-types to go ahead and watch it even if they're afraid that the maths will get messed up. It doesn't. Some of the plotlines are a bit cheesy but most of the episodes' plots are graaand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

I'm in shock from tonight's episode of Grey's Anatomy :eek:
    Brilliant episode.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Brilliant episode.

Absolutely fantastic! And the concluding part is next week - can't wait! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just finished watching all of 2 Guys & a Girl.Not a bad sitcom at all

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Brilliant episode.

I haven't watched Greys in ages and just saw it on and decided to watch. Wow, that was one hell of an episode. Absolutely have to watch next week's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I haven't watched Greys in ages and just saw it on and decided to watch. Wow, that was one hell of an episode. Absolutely have to watch next week's!

Yeah, I stopped watching earlier this season and just decided to watch it tonight for some reason. I was gripped to my seat though, next week's episode is going to be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Yeah, I stopped watching earlier this season and just decided to watch it tonight for some reason. I was gripped to my seat though, next week's episode is going to be great!

I just watched next week's episode :O Dramatic, to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭daysleeper

has anyone ever seen 'Boy A'? I just saw it today. It's basically about a guy who's just been let out of jail after spending about 10 years there for killing a little girl while he was only a kid himself. Similar to the Jamie Bulger story. It's one of the best films I've ever seen I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The Prestige. Class.

Great story and everything flows together so nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Finished this season of The Clevaland Show, great show.

Just started watching Stargate Universe, it's amazing especially in HD. Highly suggest to anyone to give this show a watch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Jako8 wrote: »
    The Prestige. Class.

isn't it?it's kind of out there but doesn't focus on the peculier things that happen,but on how everything else ties into it
    seanbmc wrote: »
    Just started watching Stargate Universe, it's amazing especially in HD. Highly suggest to anyone to give this show a watch :)
    it's A-MAY-ZING,I watched the seaon Finale last week,for a scifi show it's really well written and darker than I ever expected it to be[I'm a bit of a stargate nerd]

the season ends so well,you will never see the ending coming at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Jako8 wrote: »
    The Prestige. Class.

It's terrific. Doesn't nearly gets the attention it deserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

seanbmc wrote: »

Only seen the first 3/4 episodes, but it just seemed like a poor mans Battlestar- every episode seemed to lead up to a problem Robert Caryle had to fix.
    I have heard it gets better though.

Only seen the first 3/4 episodes, but it just seemed like a poor mans Battlestar- every episode seemed to lead up to a problem Robert Caryle had to fix.
    I have heard it gets better though.

It does :)

isn't it?it's kind of out there but doesn't focus on the peculier things that happen,but on how everything else ties into it

it's A-MAY-ZING,I watched the seaon Finale last week,for a scifi show it's really well written and darker than I ever expected it to be[I'm a bit of a stargate nerd]

the season ends so well,you will never see the ending coming at all

Looking forward to it, the visuals are amazing in it. Especialy in the episode where
    they are approaching the giant star to refuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Avatar---forgot how dull and lifeless the whole thing was. Brilliant effects but it all added up to naught. Colonel Quaritch was the only highlight. Sam Worthington has all the charisma of a damp plank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Avatar---forgot how dull and lifeless the whole thing was. Brilliant effects but it all added up to naught. Colonel Quaritch was the only highlight. Sam Worthington has all the charisma of a damp plank.

I enjoyed it but at the end of the day it was the exact same as every other over-rated over-budgeted film out there.

I'm cold and emotionless, I'll do anything for money.
    Oh look I've met a sarcastic, back-talking women from the streets/jungle.
    Oh dear god, I now see how evil I have been, I must rebel against authority to protect these natives/orphans/dogs.
    Yup, turns out people can overcome massive military might as long as they truly believe in themselves.

Just find that same recycled plot so irritating now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but at the end of the day it was the exact same as every other over-rated over-budgeted film out there.

I'm cold and emotionless, I'll do anything for money.
    Oh look I've met a sarcastic, back-talking women from the streets/jungle.
    Oh dear god, I now see how evil I have been, I must rebel against authority to protect these natives/orphans/dogs.
    Yup, turns out people can overcome massive military might as long as they truly believe in themselves.

Just find that same recycled plot so irritating now.

I dug the
    world being a living entity, covered in an organic neural network
    . It certainly explained the convenient
    beast stampede that helped win the war
    . But yeah it stunk of Return of the Jedi-like idiocy. Natives win cos they're goodies.

Dug Quaritch popping bullets at his quarry whilst holding his breath...the first time...second time? BOORRIINNGG.

Cameron, like Lucas, also self-plagiarised to the point of being riDONKulous. Mech-suits versus big living opponent? Check. Latino tomboy military chick spouting lame quips? Check. Sigourney Weaver talking sense and being generally ignored by The Company? Check. Protagonist with the first name's first letter J who has up to this point been troublesome, a waste, ith a crappy past and family issues, only to find a mother/mother-figure and discover his true destiny as leader of a rebel faction against a highly mechanised overpowering, inhuman empire of war? Check.

Same for the score---James Horner made a killer soundtrack to Star Trek II, and has ever since pillaged that score and the ALIENS score with aplomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Usually I hate all those American teenage dramas, but I'm really loving 90210 at the moment! And Mr. Matthews is a total beor..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Watched The Hurt Locker, and I wasn't hugely impressed to be honest. But then again I don't think I was meant to be, if that makes sense. Some bits at the start were pretty tense, but the ending was just a tad ham-fisted for my liking.

Major plus on the scarce use of music in it though, especially "this is not America OoOoOoOoOoallllahallalallalaaa" music. A good movie shouldn't need a score to draw you in.

Advertisement