Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What films/TV shows are you watching? *see mod warning, post #3*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

M&S* wrote: »
    I saw it yesterday, while it was an awesome movie I just don't see what the 3d did to enhance it? :confused:

You're quite right. The 3D was barely even there. It was used more in the trailer for Step Up than it was in the whole of TS3 ffs!

I'm sure D4RK ONION will also agree with you when he sees your post. He wasn't happy with having to pay an extra €2 for 3D either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I saw it yesterday, while it was an awesome movie I just don't see what the 3d did to enhance it? :confused:
    You're quite right. The 3D was barely even there. It was used more in the trailer for Step Up than it was in the whole of TS3 ffs!

I'm sure D4RK ONION will also agree with you when he sees your post. He wasn't happy with having to pay an extra €2 for 3D either!

I don't get 3D in general.

"Ooh but it's shiny!"

No, it's just a gimmick.

I saw the regular Toy Story 3, and I don't see how 3D would have made it better, visually or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

My Sister's Keeper.

I can feel the tears already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Cowboy Bebop- the episodes are in suprisingly excellent quality on YouTube. Now, I wouldn't condone illegally.....watch it if you haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Cowboy Bebop- the episodes are in suprisingly excellent quality on YouTube. Now, I wouldn't condone illegally.....watch it if you haven't.

Also the English dubbs (one b or two?) are hilarious if you've only seen the original :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Also the English dubbs (one b or two?) are hilarious if you've only seen the original :P.

I don't know what you mean by "one b or two?", but the dubs are excellent I think, one of the few anime series that isn't cringe-worthy in English. I'd take them over the originals any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I don't know what you mean by "one b or two?"

I was wondering how to spell it, asking google to define either spelling works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I was wondering how to spell it, asking google to define either spelling works.

One b. Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm watching the wedding date. Seems ok so far. I can already predict what's going to happen though and it's 10 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I think that tastefully done 3D makes films much more prettyful! I really liked the 3D in Toy Story - when you say it was "barely even there", that's what I like most about it. It was there for the whole film, but it was nice and subtle, and not gimmicky "OH LOOK THE HAND IS REACHING FOR US" style 3D.

Also, Up. Up was beautiful in 3D, but there were no/very few "3D moments".

<3D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I think it's good that the 3D in Toy Story 3 wasn't particularly memorable. There was no need to mask bad story-telling with novelty, so the gimmick wasn't exploited. It was just a subtle inclusion that gave you a greater sense of depth and detail in some of the scenes, especially in some of the wide rooms in Sunnyside and that scene where
    Andy's toys were surrounded in the garbage chute
    . It wasn't necessary, but it did add a little bit more to the film's lovely visuals without making everything look like a pop-up book as in Step Up 3D's trailer.

On the other hand, the short-film before Toy Story 3 was all about the novelty of 3D movies! The two characters were windows into a 3D world, and Pixar did a great job of playing with depth. I didn't mind paying a little more for the 3D goggles after being amused by that. :p

On the other hand, the short-film before Toy Story 3 was all about the novelty of 3D movies! The two characters were windows into a 3D world, and Pixar did a great job of playing with depth. I didn't mind paying a little more for the 3D goggles after being amused by that. :p

I saw this in 2D yesterday... it was still lovely and all, but not quite the same.

Pixar shorts are always top quality though!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Pixar shorts are always top quality though!

Yep, definitely! I think I once read that they enjoy making shorts the most, and it really shows! Mind you, everything by Pixar* is top quality. :p

*...with the possible exception of Cars.
    >_>

Yep, definitely! I think I once read that they enjoy making shorts the most, and it really shows! Mind you, everything by Pixar* is top quality. :p

*...with the possible exception of Cars.
    >_>

*and more than likely its sequel, due 24th of June 2011 <_<*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I just watched the new BBC series (mini-series?) "Sherlock" tonight. It's fantastic. It's basically Sherlock Holmes but in modern-day London.

What I loved was how faithful they managed to stay to the characters and even included loads of jokes about, references to and clues from (and even one or two direct quotes, I think) the original stories. Also, it didn't take itself too seriously and was genuinely laugh-out-loud funny at times. Really reccomend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

I've started watching the US version of Big Brother. It's far superior to the UK one, the contestants are actually there to play the game and don't have to worry about public opinion. Secret alliances, back-stabbing, ruthless competiveness, lying and bitching... Everything Big Brother should be:)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I think that tastefully done 3D makes films much more prettyful! I really liked the 3D in Toy Story - when you say it was "barely even there", that's what I like most about it. It was there for the whole film, but it was nice and subtle, and not gimmicky "OH LOOK THE HAND IS REACHING FOR US" style 3D.

Also, Up. Up was beautiful in 3D, but there were no/very few "3D moments".

<3D

There was 3D in TS3? I didn't notice :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it wasn't even subtle or done on purpose. Disney clearly came to them and said "GIVE US 3D $$$$$" and Pixar basically duplicated the image and edited one ever so slightly to give the effect of 3D. Old red blue 3D would have been more impressive.

TL;DR- 3D was balls, don't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

If anyone has FIVE theres a film on now "Devil Winds" which either stole the ENTIRE plot of "Twister" or vice versa.... interesting hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Finally got around to watching 'No country for old men'. After being told that it was one of the best film of the past decade, i was fairly disappointed. The film appeared to contain many fillers, and i believe that the part of Tommy Lee Jones was the largest of these fillers. Although ya can't deny that his character wove the story together on several occasions, his relevance of several occasions were questionable. The storyline was entertaining, but nothing was put forward that hadn't been done before. The most outstanding part of the film was the character of Anton played by Javier Bardem. The character was genuinely intimidating, and appeared to be unstoppable.

Next film on the watch list is 'There will be Blood' :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Redlion wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching 'No country for old men'. After being told that it was one of the best film of the past decade, i was fairly disappointed. The film appeared to contain many fillers, and i believe that the part of Tommy Lee Jones was the largest of these fillers. Although ya can't deny that his character wove the story together on several occasions, his relevance of several occasions were questionable. The storyline was entertaining, but nothing was put forward that hadn't been done before. The most outstanding part of the film was the character of Anton played by Javier Bardem. The character was genuinely intimidating, and appeared to be unstoppable.

That's kinda odd, I bought the two of them together many moons ago. Have yet to watch There Will Be Blood, might stick it on tonight if I'm not sleepy. No Country For Old Men was pretty good in parts but it dragged a little towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Redlion wrote: »
    Monzo wrote: »
    That's kinda odd, I bought the two of them together many moons ago. Have yet to watch There Will Be Blood, might stick it on tonight if I'm not sleepy.

DO IT! I adore that film, it's slightly bizarre, and quite eery, but I found it thoroughly entertaining. Plainview is just an excellent character, infinitely cool, and I thought it was cool that the main character, while he was the good guy of the film, he was an absolute tosspot :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Finally dragged my ass to Inception, and christ on a bike it was amazing. I'm still o___O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I just found my Music and Lyrics DVD downstairs, cos my sister borrowed it, and I was like YAY! I'll watch this!... There is no DVD in the box, and it has mysteriously disappeared off the face of the Earth. WAH.

<3 that film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥ Top Gear ♥

I didn't quite catch that...one more time please :rolleyes:

Gossip Girl - WTF is this shít?

Jay P wrote: »
    Gossip Girl - WTF is this shít?

Actually, it turned out to be annoyingly entertaining

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

So I saw Inception, as seems to be the done thing these days. Good film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Roll Bounce on RTE two

it's so damn cheesy,but actually pretty decent

Advertisement