Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Den

Options
  • 21-03-2010 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Does the woman in Dragons Den ever invest in anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

i agree, id say she aint got any money
    She always has some crappy excuse for not investing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Do they actually use their own money? I don't know about her but her husband is DJ Carey and his business went under last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

anytime she puts in an offer she wants around 50% of the business or just makes a ridiculous offer. its like she knows the person is not gonna accept her offer but atleast she has made an offer, they should get someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

hardly any of them invest anything.. not a patch on the english version..

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackiexx

hahaha she always like no it wouldn't be something im interested in bla bla bla...i did see her invest in one thing before, that was ages ago and cant remember what it was:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

she always says she cant bring anything to whatever the product is.. what does she have 2 offer so.....?:rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

She invested in one thing last week. I think it was something to compress litter in a wheelie bin. Thats the only time she invested in anything.

She is a waste of a seat on the show though. An unlikeable person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Do they actually use their own money? I don't know about her but her husband is DJ Carey and his business went under last year.

I didnt realise that He was selling the health care stuff wasnt he?

Sara is there as the token female. She is aloof, precious (the slightest sexist remark however traditionally oriented can set her off), unwilling to invest in anything bar a stonewalled certainty of return on investment, and when she does make an offer she acts like she's at a liquidation sale.

Her involvement could be summed up as being disingenuous and mean spirited. At least the lads sometimes invest in something and take a chance.. that's what the program is meant to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

:eek: I never knew that! Well you learn something new every day:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the problem with the irish dragons den is that the dragons arent rich enough to take a serious punt on a good idea (bit like peter jones with hamfatter (band) he just fancied playing in the music business)
    and the percentages they want of the company are crazy, a few times thay have wanted over 50% of the company now the person who owns the company has a minority stake and effectively doesnt own the company - whats the point of that, the new series is really annoyomg me as they are ripping of some people who have worked hard to get to where they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Irish version is far far superior entertainment wise. Its not even close.

Token female is right. There was one entreprenooor who had the surf-board sunflower seeds maybe a year ago, and both Sarah and another dragon were interested.

Entrepenuer seemed like a sound lad, happy-go-lucky but serious about his business. Had a lot in order and making a proper go of things.

Sarah decided to be the hard ass and force his hand saying "well, you have to make up your mind now, I'm not going to wait" etc and he returned "just there is that five seconds, I got a glimpse of what it would be like to work with you and for that reason I'm going with (insomnia dragon)"

I'm paraphrasing but it was the highlight of the entire show for me.

Go f**k yourself, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I didnt realise that He was selling the health care stuff wasnt he?
    jimmyw wrote: »
    :eek: I never knew that! Well you learn something new every day:cool:

they are not married - living together.

she still has her money - fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Two main problems I have with Irish Dragons Den (some of which have been touched on already):

1. Dragons must not have much cash to invest as they rarely go for a genuinely promising opportunity. They nearly all want a business thats already trading and successful. In that case why the hell doesn't the entrepreneur just go to the bank rather than chucking away half their company to those Jokers? Surely the PR from the show can't be worth that much.

2. Nearly all the Dragons (Sarah Newman particularly) rule themselves out almost immediately if the business isn't something they're used to. Aren't they support to be investors? All that should matter to them is the books and how driven the entrepreneur is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

35notout wrote: »
    they are not married - living together.
    she still has her money - fair play to her

They're getting married this year- maybe she's saving for the wedding ;) ?

IIRC, she made a serious wedge selling her online business - something along the lines of holidays or hotel reservations.

A self-made woman who, I would imagine, doesn't suffer fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

DJ Carey left his wife and kids to be with Sarah Numan right?

She is the main reason I refuse to watch the show.

If you look at the English version deb meehan (spelling?) built her empire from scratch starting out in like a tiny family holiday park. Sarah Numan sold ONE website in the height of the boom now fairplay I couldn't do it but to somehow think your better then anyone else is madness, I cringe when she says anything about her experience.

I think what sums her up for me was some young girl was on it with a clothes business and said her target Market was something like 15-25 year olds and Sarah actually gave out to her for saying that saying she couldn't invest because she was older then that. I couldn't believe my wyes when I saw it I mean anyone in business surely knows that the vast majority of products have a target Market in particular fashion.

Anyway, to sum up she ruins the show IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

.. English version deb meehan built her empire from scratch starting out in like a tiny family holiday park. Sarah sold ONE website in the height of the boom .. I cringe when she says anything about her experience.

agree completely. They say (paraphrase) "Sarah Newman made her fortune with needahotel.com, and is currently pursuing business interests in Europe" ... can an offer an alternative... "Sarah Newman got lucky in the dot com boom with one website, has no other significant business experience/interests, and is currently storing her nuts for Winter (and very likely to invest)"
    Nearly all the Dragons (Sarah Newman particularly) rule themselves out almost immediately if the business isn't something they're used to. Aren't they support to be investors? All that should matter to them is the books and how driven the entrepreneur is.

Agree 100%. For example, why does Sarah even bother seeing ANY of the people bar those running websites then, if she "I have no experience in this area, so I'm gonna bow out".. That's the ONLY area she has experience in. It's not enough to count yourself out cos of this alone if you are a true entrepreneur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 S.T.A.R.S

I'll tell you all what I think of Sarah Newman after April 1st!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

cullen5998 wrote: »
    She invested in one thing last week. I think it was something to compress litter in a wheelie bin. Thats the only time she invested in anything.

She is a waste of a seat on the show though. An unlikeable person

So funney, that product had been done a 1000 times, just google u can find one with a better patent than a fookin ball and socket, there cheaper ones out there that have a pnuematic action makin lkife easier.

Nice 1 sarah... ya dope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

As far as I know, she's invested in only one business since it started. Some old guy had an invetion you attach to wheely bins and industrial skips that allows you push the rubbish down further so you can fit more in. That's all as far as I know.

Id say she knew well the product was done, Just to look good and actually Invest...so then she can pull out of the deal off camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

The Irish dragons den is awful. Like everything RTE import over here, its awful. All the investors are unlikeable imo. Each one of them seems to have their head up their own ass. They can be incredibly critical of an idea if they dont like it, so much that they are actually very rude about it.

Doesnt hold a candle to the english version where the investors actually have personality and take a risk more often than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

#Daniel wrote: »
    The Irish dragons den is awful. Like everything RTE import over here, its awful. All the investors are unlikeable imo. Each one of them seems to have their head up their own ass. They can be incredibly critical of an idea if they dont like it, so much that they are actually very rude about it.

Doesnt hold a candle to the english version where the investors actually have personality and take a risk more often than not.

in fairness there havent been that many good ideas ive seen on the 2 series so far. prob the best ones they have invested in. i like bobby prob the best. howya im bobby..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

KerranJast wrote: »
    In that case why the hell doesn't the entrepreneur just go to the bank rather than chucking away half their company to those Jokers?......

Banks are not lending in Ireland at the moment unless you don't need the money. I agree though ... 50 % of your business for 20 grand (or 2 years dole) ... FFS if it's worth that little then what the hell are you in business for ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

#Daniel wrote: »

Don't agree. Only Sarah is up her own ass. The others have a sense of humour and would happily spend a few hours in a pub with any of them. Couldn't say the same of all the English dragons. Also it's much better entertainment than the English one, which at the end of the day is why I watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

TBH I like the Irish dragons, though not too gone on Sarah.
    It's one of the shows I hate to miss.

professore wrote: »
    Don't agree. Only Sarah is up her own ass. The others have a sense of humour and would happily spend a few hours in a pub with any of them. Couldn't say the same of all the English dragons. Also it's much better entertainment than the English one, which at the end of the day is why I watch it.

i like the others too..
    large_gavin2.jpghe my fav, dunno why hated him at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

professore wrote: »
    Banks are not lending in Ireland at the moment unless you don't need the money. I agree though ... 50 % of your business for 20 grand (or 2 years dole) ... FFS if it's worth that little then what the hell are you in business for ????
    Banks are not lending to risky prospects. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't give money to what on paper is a guaranteed return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Was looking at it a few months ago, some bloke had a great product, cant remember what it was :o, but the big bloke at the end said " i love it, it will make money, but i dont like the look and colour of it" !!! WTF !! give him cash and he can change the colour !!

Woman is gas, person only has to walk into the room..." IM OUT !! "...remember the one where the bloke completly ignored her...she was disgusted...ha ha dont blame him !!...classic

Id love to go on and after i finished talking about the product say " well i know your out, but what about you lads" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I have to say I actually like it. Yeah its not as good as the UK one but then again RTE don't have the budget (and investors the fortunes) that they UK have. I like the bald guy from Caaavan. Though he was funny the time Sarah did invest "I'm not going to stand in the way of Sarah parting with her money" though he was like a dirty old man last week when the lady was on it with the tanning product.

• Advertisement

The lad i like was on the apprentice too, doing interviews for Bill. He was a right **** to the lad that won it, making him admit he had a drink and gambling problem on TV. lol

Advertisement