Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Den

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

cullen5998 wrote: »
    She invested in one thing last week. I think it was something to compress litter in a wheelie bin. Thats the only time she invested in anything.

She is a waste of a seat on the show though. An unlikeable person

I think she's a sexy bit of stuff :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well you'd be on your own there..... she'd definitely get an "I'm out!" from me!

I really don't like Sarah, she is someone who got lucky with a website she started (in Ryanair AFAIK) and sold up. She is not a business genuis.

Only made one investment in two series. Made two other offers were she actually asked for 50% of the company....is she mad?

Also, if she doesn't know anything about how a product works, then she doesn't want to know. 2 weeks ago she immediately said 'I'm out' to a guy who had a plumbing valve as she knows nothing about them. So that means 30 years ago she would have turned down Bill Gates as she doesn''t know anything about operating systems.

As for the show, I really like it, I find this season that the Dragon's are really settling into it and warming to each other, and their egoes are not as big as the ones on the UK one.

Don't agree at all with earlier poster criticising RTE as it's the exact same format as the British one. Budget is not an issue as it's dirt cheap to make and investments come from the Dragons not RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sean1 o Connor

I suppose it's helping the country in general with new startups and people are begining to think of new inventions with a view to manufacture and export. The roofchute lads from limerick with the rainwater harvester are going well since the show. I heard they have signed a deal with a large harvesting company to supply 1 million units to the uk.

And the dragons thought it was " poppycock"

the show is a good idea but i think we are in trouble with these dragons.... Bring on Ben dunne or o Leary and we will have some chance in getting ireland back on the export market

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Sarah invested last night! Granted only half but still.... Sean is a funny guy...

My housemate couldn't get over Gavin Duffy's comment about golf

Morgans wrote: »
    Irish version is far far superior entertainment wise. Its not even close.

Token female is right. There was one entreprenooor who had the surf-board sunflower seeds maybe a year ago, and both Sarah and another dragon were interested.

Entrepenuer seemed like a sound lad, happy-go-lucky but serious about his business. Had a lot in order and making a proper go of things.

Sarah decided to be the hard ass and force his hand saying "well, you have to make up your mind now, I'm not going to wait" etc and he returned "just there is that five seconds, I got a glimpse of what it would be like to work with you and for that reason I'm going with (insomnia dragon)"

I'm paraphrasing but it was the highlight of the entire show for me.

Go f**k yourself, basically.

Ha ha i remember that it was brilliant. The guy was an excellent salesman i thought. Really sold himself well and knew his product.

The girl Dee was some businesswoman but hadn't the personality of your surf seeds guy or your Herbie. It just goes to show some do it by genuine smart business acumen and some do it by more of a sparky personality with perhaps less business acumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

cullen5998 wrote: »
    She invested in one thing last week. I think it was something to compress litter in a wheelie bin. Thats the only time she invested in anything.

She is a waste of a seat on the show though. An unlikeable person
    The fact that all the other Dragons made such a big deal about her finally investing in something should mean that RTE should tell her that she's out. And I'd definitely agree with the other poster that said that she probably knew that the idea was done to death and as a result she knew she had an out before she even started.

I didnt realise that He was selling the health care stuff wasnt he?

Sara is there as the token female. She is aloof, precious (the slightest sexist remark however traditionally oriented can set her off), unwilling to invest in anything bar a stonewalled certainty of return on investment, and when she does make an offer she acts like she's at a liquidation sale.

Her involvement could be summed up as being disingenuous and mean spirited. At least the lads sometimes invest in something and take a chance.. that's what the program is meant to be about.
    Well said that man.

She really is unlikeable, always looking to be offended by something or start a fight. And the way she rips into some of the contestants is uncalled for.

At least all the others have manners and have at least invested in something.

Yer man Sean Gallagher I think is the best of the lot, at least when he's not interested he gives them some constructive criticism before telling them he's out. He also posted on here during the first series, think it was in reply to the Harry Hill comments. :D Took it well though.

ziedth wrote: »
    DJ Carey left his wife and kids to be with Sarah Numan right?

Dunno about that. think they met on a holiday show months after DJ and wife split. Wouldnt be 100% on whether Ms Newman was the cause of that much as i hate the aul 'dragon'. If DJ should outta line with this one he'll have his balls handed to him on a plate.

Gavin is the best dragon. cool calm and collective and willing to take a gamble. he bought into some things that you would half wonder if they would take off or not.

the other 3 i have no problem with. niall seems to have an interest in design whereas the others in innovation and sarah, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's just it, I can understand how they might "need" a woman on the panel but surely to god someone out there would have been better!

Did dragons den uk ever have a season without a woman on it? I remember Rachel elnough (spelling def not right) was on it over the first couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

That's just it, I can understand how they might "need" a woman on the panel but surely to god someone out there would have been better!

Did dragons den uk ever have a season without a woman on it? I remember Rachel elnough (spelling def not right) was on it over the first couple of seasons.
    No they've had a woman since the start. In fairness Deborah Meaden is a shrewd and successful entrepreneur in her own right.

Her company went bankrupt. Two of the present dragons, i think Peter Jones and Theo Paphitis bought the remaining assets and goods from the liquidator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Moved to the correct forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Her company went bankrupt. Two of the present dragons, i think Peter Jones and Theo Paphitis bought the remaining assets and goods from the liquidator.

Yeh, didnt konw that lads.. here's the full from wiki.
    Rachel Elnaugh

Administration
    After a poorly made strategic and financial choice of expanding via supermarket distribution, Red Letter Days went into administration on 1 August 2005; the remaining assets and goods were bought by fellow Dragons' Den judges Peter Jones and Theo Paphitis. Although Elnaugh was at the helm before and at the time of the company's failure just days after the birth of her fourth child, she blames the problems on the actions of the last CEO who she appointed in 2002, while she took a non-executive role.[4]
    ITV1's "Tonight Programme" had more critical explanation of the demise of Red Letter Days, including unpaid suppliers and disappointed purchasers. The programme suggested the business model failed to escrow or earmark supplier payment equity, instead using it for working capital. However this failure may well be laid at the door of Red Letter Day's bankers who placed £3 million in a bond which they refused to release for use by the firm despite the fact that it related to vouchers that had expired and were not recoverable against the business[5]
    Leaving Dragons' Den
    As a result of disputes with various Dragons (Jones, Paphitis and Duncan Bannatyne),[3] and the resulting uncomfortable position of the BBC if it allowed a perceived "failed" businesswoman to be on a business panel, she agreed to leave the "Dragons' Den" panel.

Do they actually use their own money? I don't know about her but her husband is DJ Carey and his business went under last year.

did she marry DJ in the end??

ha ha i expected when the priest or whoever asked "do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" Sarah probably answered, "Well i dont know much about marriage, so i'm OUT!!" :D:D

I propose boards put up a thumbs down option for comments like that but to the poster, whatever floats your boat! :rolleyes:

Advertisement