Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much less than asking house prices will estate agents accept?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Unless the house is in one of the better areas in South Dublin, the house will almost definitely be worth well under 200K this time next year - possibly 180k. So if you buy for 230k - you could lose 50k in 12 months?

Rather you than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

COYW wrote: »
    Wow, I didnt realise that. Thats some loss. Might put in a bid for €210K in that case.

Huh???

Step back and think about this for a second.

Losing 100K over five years is 1.66K per month.

Losing 80K (after you drop 20K) over five years is 1.33K per month.

You'll rent a nice property for that 'loss' over five years and you won't be in negative equity.

No surprise why Ireland got to this stage is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

During the boom, Irish people completely lost sight of just how much money 10k is - let alone 100k! Money was thrown around like snuff at a wake and the estate agents and developers laughed all the way to the bank.

Paying 10k or 15k more for a house than what it's worth is an absolute scandal - but some Irish people still think nothing of offering 100k or even 200k more for a house than it will be worth in 12-24 months time.

Forget the asking price - it's irrelevant! Just go to the vendor and say "I'm offering you X amount. Do you want it or don't you?" Then go home and wait for a week or two, and your phone will ring.

Advertisement