Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp or something?

• 21-03-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I noticed two patches on the outside wall under one of the windows
    where the paint is different colour.
    Its at either side of the sill, not sure what it is so I said I'd try here.
    Could water be getting in?

I've attached a couple of images.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The staining also appears to be on the concrete path so I suspect it's just rain water running along the underside of the cill and down the wall; and bringing a bit of dirt along in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is a guess, I'm just interested to see if I am right. The rain is coming down the window and across the sill, but at each end, instead of dripping off from the drip ledge under the sill it is continuing back to the wall. Have a look to see if the ledge goes to the ends of the sill.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

So should the sill have a lip or angle on it so the water cant get back under towards the wall?
    I had a look it seems flat at each end, but there is a groove running along
    the underside of the sill.
    The other windows seem to have a lipa the end.

Something else I was thinking is the sills are in a bad way and need painting, could it be the water is jus going straight through them???

Sorry havent a clue about DIY, hence the questions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

water wont pass through them.

the groove is soppused to be on the under side. what is the top of the window like? it there a roof or anything effecting the flow of water down the sides of the windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Just looking at the sills today and they need a really good paint.
    The house is 3 years old and the sills are flaking.
    Reading up here about it.
    Could that be polybound?
    Could the painter have used that to seal the concrete sill and paint over it rather than using a primer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

once you've painted the cills, get a tube of tec 7 and on the underside of the cill apply a bead of it about 2 cm in from the edge all around the perimeter, to guide the flow of water so that it drips down away from the wall. Hard to explain, easy to do, and it forms a better drip guide if your existing one is a bit duff.

Advertisement