Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rabbit neutered

Options
  • 21-03-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

My rabbit is 10 months old now and i have put off getting her neutered until now because i am terrified of something going wrong :(
    Should i get her neutered?
    And where is the best vet that deals with rabbits, I am in Offaly but wouldnt mind travelling a bit further for a good vet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't know about vets, but definitely get her neutered. It's so much better for female rabbits (nearly all of them will get uterine cancer by 4-5 years old) and she should be just fine, if it's an experienced vet. And it might make her personality nicer and friendlier and avoid false pregnancies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Not sure of any good vets in your area, but enquire about the anaesthesia facilities they have, some small animal vets have much better monitoring equipment and higher levels of nursing staff which can keep a very close eye on your bunny during the op. I would definitely insist on finding an experienced small animal vet to do the operation, rabbits are peculiar creatures and require experienced vets to ensure all things go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't know of any in Offaly, (there could be I just don't know of any) but rabbit I used to have were all done at Brittas Vets in Thurles and all game out of it fine, had a guinea neutered there too. No problems. Of course there is a risk with any anesthetic finding an experienced vet though is half the battle.

There's some info. on my website below on before and after care of rabbits after spaying/neutering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 unluckystar

Thanks for all the replies. This is my first rabbit so making sure i do things right! :)

I don't know of any in Offaly, (there could be I just don't know of any) but rabbit I used to have were all done at Brittas Vets in Thurles and all game out of it fine, had a guinea neutered there too.

Do they keep them in overnight in this vet? I would prefer a place that would keep her in overnight to make sure shes ok after the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They don't keep them overnight usually, the pig I had done was still a bit groggy and me being paranoid asked them to keep him overnight but he was grand I was just nervous because it was the first guinea I had neutered.

I always took the rabbits back home though because the sooner rabbits are back in familiar surroundings the more relaxed they are.

Because you have to travel though it probably would make more sense to have the bun stay over because sometimes buns need another pain killing injection the day after. Some don't, depends on the bun but a bun in pain doesn't tend to eat.

That way your rabbit should be over the groggy stage and eating well etc.
    Sometimes buns need a hand eating with the cone on their heads, I made the silly mistake of taking the cone off one of our previous buns heads and she took a layer of stitches out luckily she didn't open herself up but she had to undergo another anesthetic to put the stitches back in.

Our cockatiel has also had to undergo a couple of anesthetics there and came out fine, dogs and cats I don't mind taking to any good vet but with the smallies I'd always go there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 unluckystar

Sometimes buns need a hand eating with the cone on their heads

Never even thought that she might have a cone on her head, Im learning something new every day! Are the stitches the ones that disappear themselves or do they need to be taken out?
    How much does it cost?
    Sorry for all the questions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sorry for going off topic, but GuineaPigRescue, maybe you can answer this for me? What age does a male guinea pig have to be to be neutered? And can you keep two neutered males with a group of unneutered females?

I accidentally bought a pregnant guinea pig so now have a male baby. I'm getting him another male friend, but one day might get them neutered and add them to the group of females. :) I know a vet who said she can neuter male piggies no problem.

Advertisement