Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relegation Battle

• 21-03-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

So who is your 3 to go down ?
    P PTS GD
    14th Bolton 31 32 -20
    15th Wigan 31 31 -30
    16th Wolves 30 28 -24
    17th West Ham 30 27 -14
    18th Burnley 31 24 -33
    19th Hull City 30 24 -35
    20th Pompey 30 13 -25

With only 7 or 8 games to go for these sides , do you think it will go down to the last game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The bottom three as they stand now, Burnley, Hull and Portsmouth.

Won't be sorry to see Hull gone either, madness to sack the best manager in your club's history and bring in Ian f*cking Dowie as his replacement with 8 games left. Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Yep, agree. My three to go down quicker than a Thai hooker are as they are now: Pompey, Hull and Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Burnley, Hull and Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Pompey and Burnley are definitely gone I think.

West Ham and Hull to battle it out. West Ham should have enough quality to stay up. Ian Dowie will not save Hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Burnley Hull Pompey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

As it is now, different from previous seasons where you could see a team getting out of it, this season I'm not too sure any can, possibly Hull at the expense of Wolves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Paleface wrote: »
    West Ham should have enough quality to stay up.
    Please don't say that. Thats what everyone said last time we went down :pac:
    Tuesday's game against Wolves will go a long way to deciding our fate. Lose and I think we'll be a good bet to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Goal difference could easily be the deciding factor, if so Wolves will stay up. I think they will anyway some here were foolish enough to dismiss McCarthys charges before the Villa game ("I'm betting -1 handicap". You know who you are!) but they are performing pretty admirably and should have enough to survive, esp with a win on Tuesday ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd say it'll be the current three, think Hull sacking Brown was a foolish move

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

like ye i'll go same three there now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Can't look past Burnley and Hull joining Pompey in the Championship unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Pompey and Burnley for sure (I think Burnley were down as soon as Coyle left)

But I've a feeling Hull will pull it off, and Wolves could get caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't see it changing from the current 3 down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think pompey will pick up more points then Burnley in the run in but and there sure to go down Hull I thought would stay up with Brown at the helm but with Dowie i'm not so sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Still can't believe Burnley appointed Laws. He was terrible this season with Wednesday. Just didn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Like most people I expect the 3 that are in there at the moment to stay the same and be relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

definitely those 3 for me.

Pompey - i do and don't feel sorry for. owners got them very temporary success, and now the supporters are paying the price really. a shame, i've always had a bit of a soft spot for them.

Burnley - Laws seems incompetent to be honest. but it's not their fault the best manager in their history left them high and dry.

Hull - don't let the trap door hit you on the ass on the way down. any club that makes me feel a modicum of sympathy for 'The Orange One' deserves everything it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would laugh my arse off if we stayed up and/or won the FA cup!!

I would go with the general opinion though that the current bottom three are the ones to go down.

I don't think West Ham are that great at the moment, but Cole's goals should do the trick for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I would laugh my arse off if we stayed up and/or won the FA cup!!

In all honesty Portsmouth were going down anyway but the points deduction sealed their fate for certain.

I think Burnley might have stayed up with Coyle at the helm, but as it stands now I'd agree with the consensus that the bottom 3 will go down.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Still can't believe Burnley appointed Laws. He was terrible this season with Wednesday. Just didn't make sense.

In fairness he had no resources at Wednesday. The biggest signing was the fox in the box, and he has been a disaster. Since taking over, Alan Irvine has done no better with the same bunch of players.

But agree that Laws has not worked out at Burnley, and appears out of his depth.

I think Burnley and Pompey are near-certainties. Hull may yet surprise us.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I think they will anyway some here were foolish enough to dismiss McCarthys charges before the Villa game but they are performing pretty admirably and should have enough to survive, esp with a win on Tuesday ;)

West Ham 1-3 Wolves

Updated table
    14th Bolton 31 32 -20
    15th Wigan 31 31 -30
    16th Wolves 31 31 -22
    17th West Ham 31 27 -14
    18th Burnley 31 24 -33
    19th Hull City 30 24 -35
    20th Pompey 30 13 -25

Wolves should be safe, West Hams games are no easier while the Hull and Burnley fixtures are not much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Things are looking terrible for Zola

Massive result for Wolves

I'd be surprised if Zola survives into next season even if we do stay up.
    It's been pretty much torture all this season.

At this stage the only thing I can see saving us are Burnley and Hull's inability to pick up points because I can't see us getting another win if we keep playing like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I'm hearing he's been sacked. Couple of people I know were at the game and that's the word going around.

At the moment it's just hear'say but one of them writes a West Ham fanzine and has been reliable in the past. Of course though nothing is true until its official. I think he needs to go personally. Wrong style of football for that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Wont be sorry to see the back of Hull tbh.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I'm hearing he's been sacked. Couple of people I know were at the game and that's the word going around.

At the moment it's just hear'say but one of them writes a West Ham fanzine and has been reliable in the past. Of course though nothing is true until its official. I think he needs to go personally. Wrong style of football for that team.

i really dont like sacking managers so late in a season, to me even the phil brown sacking was ridiculous cause of the timing tbh

nothing about it yet afaik on any of the media outlets so maybe it was just a rumour?

it is obviously gonna be talked of on the terraces after a home defeat to Wolves i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If Zola is being sacked it probably wouldn't be announced to the media until the morning anyway.

But surely it would make no sense to sack him now. It would be asking a bit much for a new guy to come in and somehow turn things around in a few games.

Super result for Wolves but it really does leave West Ham deep in the sh1t. Hard to see Zola keeping his job for next season even if they do just about survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

west ham,i kinda like

mayb due to tony cottee....... they are f******************.

(but i think they will win satadeeeee)

oh yeah, either way i think Zola is on borrowed time if he is not gone already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

last team to win the cup and go down >?

what cup?

in the prem era, i dont think anyone has won the FA cup and gone down have they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

looks more and more like the 3 teams in relegation will go down now.

Wolves should be safe after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Dont think it has ever happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

kryogen wrote: »
    what cup?

in the prem era, i dont think anyone has won the FA cup and gone down have they?

I suspect he might be thinking of Boro who of course didn't win the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

was in the Wolves end at Villa Park at the weekend. Had a soft spot for them before due to the irish connection but really hope they stay up now.

Great result ast night as well!!

has to be hull and Burnley down, they really are poor!

If Wolves do go down surely a top 8 team HAS to buy Doyle, his workreate is unbelievable!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Norwich beat Sunderland in the League Cup Final 1-0 in 1985 and both were relegated!
    No team were relegated and won the FA Cup in the same year.
    Four teams lost the FA Cup Final and were relegated in the same year:
    Man City 1926

Leicester 1969

Brighton 1983

Middlesbrough 1997

I would also think a record low amount of points will be needed to stay up possibly 32-33.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Pompey, Hull and Burnley.

Wouldn't mind if Burnley stayed up, but if they did so it would at the expense of West Ham, who I also like, so I don't know which I would prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

patmac wrote: »
    I would also think a record low amount of points will be needed to stay up possibly 32-33.

This is looking a distinct possibility. Looking at the remaining fixtures for Burnley and Hull I find it hard to see them getting more than 6 or 7 points each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The current bottom 3 of Portsmouth, Hull and Burnley will be the 3 teams to go. I'm nearly certain of that. I certainly won't miss Hull, quite possibly the worst attempts to play ''football'' i've ever seen from any team. The quality of the bottom 4/5 teams this year is quite poor. I feel somewhat sorry for Pompey though, its impossible to concentrate on playing football when you don't know if you'll have a job next week. They did at least play some decent stuff this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I'm sad to say it'll be a tight battle between West Ham and Hull :(

• Advertisement

I'm sad to say it'll be a tight battle between West Ham and Hull :(
    Yep. Hull have Burnley at home which they really win. I think the only thing working in our favour is our goal difference.
    If we do stay, I can't say we deserve it. Although I suppose it would make up for going down the last time with 42 points.

13 Sunderland__31_____ -6 ___35
    14 Wolves_____ 32_____-22___32
    15 Bolton______ 32_____-24___32
    16 Wigan______ 31_____-30___31
    17 West Ham___32_____-17___27
    18 Hull_________31____ -33___27
    19 Burnley______31_____-33___24
    20 Portsmouth __32____ -32___13

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hull Burnley and Pompey for me, but West Ham are doing their best to swap places with Hull, they really are struggling. It could still change, just like the race for 4th and the race to win it, seriously interesting finish to the season and there will be alot of changes between now and then for all the teams concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I think West Ham are going down. 6 defeats in a row and the Owners look to have no confidence in Zola whatsoever. I can't see West Ham getting very much, if anything from their 3 away games to Liverpool, Fulham, Everton. That leaves home games against Man City, Sunderland and Wigan. Realistically they need at least 2 wins from these home games.

Everyone down to Sunderland are safe at this stage, Wolves and Bolton probably just need 1 more win just to be sure. Wigan need 4/5 more Pts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Yeah West Ham for me aswell, Hull have a game in hand and the easier fixtures imo.

Massive result for us this afternoon. I was sure it would be another heartbreaking loss when Yakubu scored with 5 minutes left. But why the hell did Mido take our penalty? By the looks of him so far, he's being paid £1000 a week too much.
    Hull against Burnley next week will be a huge game for us as well as we're without Scott Parker for the next 2 games because of a yellow today :(

Hull could be the fly in the ointment but if Burnley get anything out of that game I think everyone else is safe.

14 Wolves_____ 33_____-23___32
    15 Bolton______ 33_____-25___32
    16 Wigan______ 33_____-34___31
    17 West Ham___33_____-17___28
    18 Hull________ 32_____-35___27
    19 Burnley_____ 33_____-39___24
    20 Portsmouth__33_____-32___14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think Zola is gone regardless of whether he keeps West Ham up. It could be a blessing in disguise for him. He has the makings of a decent manager, however I still think it's too soon for him to be given a Premier League club.

An assistantship and/or lower league apprenticeship will do him a world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Mido held the ball up decently today.....he's still a useless heap of ****e though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A posh title does not a good manager make.

32842.gif

Hull, Burnley and Portsmouth for the drop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement