Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dry dog food?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

My fella was very sensitive as a pup, started him on Royal Canin which disagreed strongly (runs!!). Switched him to Arden Grange which worked very well, but the local shop we used to get that from changed owners and they stopped stocking it.

We then switched to the James Wellbeloved stuff , as it is strongly recommended, and he went on strike , wouldn't eat it at all.
    Can anyone explain that?

I suspect he found it too dry - if we wet it with a bit of stock or gravy he'd eat it.

Anyway he's back on Royal Canin now and seem OK so far but am nervous about it given his past with it as a pup.
    Re the supermarket brands if we give him them we can't sit in the same room as him :eek:

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

rtmie wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of medicanimal.com , had previously used zooplus occasionally.

I just went onto the site and was about to order something which was costing £40.62 stg, incl vat (€45.47 according to today's exchange rate). When they detected at checkout time that I was Irish they helpfully translated my prices to Euro converting it to a whopping €64.36:eek:.
    The product in question cost me approx €58 when I last purchased it in a large Irish pet food store , which I don't recall having a reputation for being especially cheap.

Rob

Easy to fix that Rob, it's the same as any UK site, they will switch to Euro upon entering the delivery address as Irish & add like 50% more to the price, you just click on the UK flag on the top of the page after it changes it to Euro when your checking out your items, it then changes it back to pounds, if it does so again when you advance to credit card details just click on the UK flag or £ symbol. Ages since I ordered food, it almost caught me out & I clicked the Union Jack & it went back to sterling. Medicanimal seem to have adapted that auto currency change depending on address in the past year, they never used to change it on you like that, very easy to get tricked if you weren't paying attention to much!

rtmie wrote: »
    My fella was very sensitive as a pup, started him on Royal Canin which disagreed strongly (runs!!). Switched him to Arden Grange which worked very well, but the local shop we used to get that from changed owners and they stopped stocking it.

We then switched to the James Wellbeloved stuff , as it is strongly recommended, and he went on strike , wouldn't eat it at all.
    Can anyone explain that?

I suspect he found it too dry - if we wet it with a bit of stock or gravy he'd eat it.

Anyway he's back on Royal Canin now and seem OK so far but am nervous about it given his past with it as a pup.
    Re the supermarket brands if we give him them we can't sit in the same room as him :eek:

Rob

I get the Arden Grange from Medicanimal, I had the same probs with the RC with my Pom, they upped the oil content in it & it didn't agree with him, just follow what I said earlier & you'll get it there cheaper than anywhere with medicanimal, when you subcribe for the newletters you'll get discounts every so often & bump in some wormers & treats & you'll boost it up to get free shipping.

pet-supermaket stocks it as well but very hard to get free shipping with them, if there is a sale on & your stockin up you can save the cost of shipping back that way.

Easy to fix that Rob, it's the same as any UK site, they will switch to Euro upon entering the delivery address as Irish & add like 50% more to the price, you just click on the UK flag on the top of the page after it changes it to Euro when your checking out your items, it then changes it back to pounds, if it does so again when you advance to credit card details just click on the UK flag or £ symbol. Ages since I ordered food, it almost caught me out & I clicked the Union Jack & it went back to sterling. Medicanimal seem to have adapted that auto currency change depending on address in the past year, they never used to change it on you like that, very easy to get tricked if you weren't paying attention to much!

Thanks for the advise, unfortunately their site seems wise to that, reverted it to sterling on click of union jack but back to Euro (incl hike) at next click and stayed there regardless of what I did. I guess this is really off the OP's topic , but ho hum anyway.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Doesn't work now, so much for making a saving.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    Doesn't work now, so much for making a saving.

:mad: The robbin BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPsss I haven't ordered off them since before xmas & that's how you had to change it then, cannot believe the won't allow you to pay in sterling now. Right sod them I'm going back to using pet supermarket & pet planet!!

Ahhh hang on I kept hitting the Union Jack & it brought it back to Sterling but they have £9.98 shipping on the test order & its over £70, so it now appears if you want the stuff at the sterling price you have to pay for the shipping! I'm gonna whinge at Peter about that next time he sends me emails for that site!

:mad: The robbin BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPsss I haven't ordered off them since before xmas & that's how you had to change it then, cannot believe the won't allow you to pay in sterling now. Right sod them I'm going back to using pet supermarket & pet planet!!

Ahhh hang on I kept hitting the Union Jack & it brought it back to Sterling but they have £9.98 shipping on the test order & its over £70, so it now appears if you want the stuff at the sterling price you have to pay for the shipping! I'm gonna whinge at Peter about that next time he sends me emails for that site!

I emailed them last evening to query and got a polite reply in explanation - not sure I buy it all but here it is for explanation :

"Thank you for your email. I’m terribly sorry to hear your frustration on this matter and please know that your feelings are understood. However, the change from UK Pound Sterling to Euros is not so much an exchange rate but a different pricing structure. The Euro price catalogue has been specifically calculated so to include the excess shipping costs of shipping outside the UK whereas the pound sterling (£) pricing structure is calculated only to cover the costs of shipping within the United Kingdom. Effectively, our shipping charges did not realistically reflect our costs and we could no longer afford to ship abroad while the order was placed in pound sterling as we were losing money due to the excess transportation costs.

I am sorry for this change which has no doubt meant an increase in cost for you but we had no choice but to act in order to cover the shipping charges involved for sending abroad. We either had to do this, or to stop shipping abroad entirely. "

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Can you order items like Drontal wormer from medicanimal? Would customs not stop them as they are only available from a vet over the counter here?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Can you order items like Drontal wormer from medicanimal? Would customs not stop them as they are only available from a vet over the counter here?

It's not a customs issue as UK is part of the EU. I buy the drontal for abour €2.00 a tablet off them it's 4-5 down in the chemist or from the Vet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Lemlin wrote: »

You can get Drontal from medicanimal.com and because you are ordering it from an EU country there is no bother with customs. You can also get loads of other drugs from them, prescription and non-prescription (prescription with a form filled out by your vet for the drug) much cheaper than in the vets or chemists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

You can get Drontal from medicanimal.com and because you are ordering it from an EU country there is no bother with customs. You can also get loads of other drugs from them, prescription and non-prescription (prescription with a form filled out by your vet for the drug) much cheaper than in the vets or chemists.

Wow, just tried MedicAnimal! Great savings! Wish I heard of it before.

Ordered some Drontal and Frontline for a new pup - enough for the rest of the year. Compared to the local vet, I reckoned I saved about €28.

Next year when I'll be ordering for 3 dogs, savings will be even more.

Advertisement