Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galtee Mountains

Options
  • 21-03-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm wondering if anybody would know where i can get details about where i can walk up the Galtee Mountains. I'm looking for just some basic beginner walks and I'd be coming from the Kilworth, Mitchelstown area.

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

From Mitchelstown take the old N8 and drive through the village of Kilbehenny and on to the hamlet of Skeheenarinky(School/Pub/Petrol Station.), where just after there is a brown coloured sign on the left for the mountains. Travel up this narrow road 2/3 miles to a small carpark. Walk up the rough stone pathway up to the base of Galtymor/Galtybeag. Boggy enough from where the path ends to the serious bit of the climb.

I have been up there many times and I would advise not to go up alone and make sure your phone is charged up. Start early. Layer your clothing. Be careful on the way down from Galtymor, nearly got lost a few times in foggy weather, almost went down a parrallel valley. Fog + Snow = Total Disorientation.
    Don't get too worried about it because it is not that far from top to bottom, if you take a wrong turn on the way down and go down a wrong valley, the worst outcome is that maybe you have to walk a few hours on the bottom to find your car, provided you started early and have enough daylight to play around with. It's not a major climb, but you do hear people being rescued from here every year on the news.

It's not that long a walk. If you don't do much exploring above, you could be up and down within 3 hours if you set your mind to it. But you can extend it easily up there if you want to.

Lovely views on a clear day. Can get very hazy from May on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Satts wrote: »
    From Mitchelstown take the old N8 and drive through the village of Kilbehenny and on to the hamlet of Skeheenarinky(School/Pub/Petrol Station.), where just after there is a brown coloured sign on the left for the mountains. Travel up this narrow road 2/3 miles to a small carpark. Walk up the rough stone pathway up to the base of Galtymor/Galtybeag. Boggy enough from where the path ends to the serious bit of the climb.

I have been up there many times and I would advise not to go up alone and make sure your phone is charged up. Start early. Layer your clothing. Be careful on the way down from Galtymor, nearly got lost a few times in foggy weather, almost went down a parrallel valley. Fog + Snow = Total Disorientation.
    Don't get too worried about it because it is not that far from top to bottom, if you take a wrong turn on the way down and go down a wrong valley, the worst outcome is that maybe you have to walk a few hours on the bottom to find your car, provided you started early and have enough daylight to play around with. It's not a major climb, but you do hear people being rescued from here every year on the news.

It's not that long a walk. If you don't do much exploring above, you could be up and down within 3 hours if you set your mind to it. But you can extend it easily up there if you want to.

Lovely views on a clear day. Can get very hazy from May on.

Thanks a million Satts.

That's exactly what i was looking for. I just needed to see where to start and if there is a car park then that's obviously the place

Advertisement