Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im thinking of buying a diagnostics cable.

• 21-03-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

As you may know Im battling a problem with my airbag warning light.
    I was researching the free version of the VCDS VAG COM software and a cheapo cable of eBay. Im getting conflicting info and also the place where I was researching, TDICLUB, its full of enthusiasts and Im frankly not able to keep up with what they talk about in the threads.

I understand the risks of cheap goods on eBay but if I just want to read faults and clear codes would the free version of the VCDS and a cable like the one linked at the bottom of this post work?
    In terms of drivers there is a thread on TDI club where someone posted the drivers for the cable and shows how to get it working with the VCDS software.

I cant see myself getting rid of the car for a long long time so I thought that having a 15 quid cable for reading faults and hopefully clearing them would be a nice investment.

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=vag+com

All I want it for is to read and clear fault codes across the widest range of modules in the car. I understand, I think, that some cables and software configurations cant read the airbag module for example.

Thanks
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Depends on whether or not you want to be able to read CANBUS cars.

The cheaper cables are for non-CANBUS (for example B5 Passat and Mk4 Golf). These can use the free version of VAGCOM to view and clear codes. For $100 you can but the license from Rosstech to allow you to have dealer functionality.For this option the cable you want is called a KKL ODB2 cable.

For CANBUS cars (e.g. B6 Passat- nearly all VAG from 2005 on) I would advise buying the cable directly from Rosstech as when you buy their cable you automatically get the license to perform everything the main dealers have I think it costs about $300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for that.

I have a mark 4 Golf TDI so the cheapo cable and the free vag com should do it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

if you have problems with the software connecting to the car make sure your ports are set up correctly. drop us a pm when you have it if you need help

the amount of people saying "they dont work" because they dont know how to use them is rediculous

Got it today, cleared the light again to make sure it all worked.
    It installed fine, no problems.

Found out though that I have an airbag module that can permanently break if scanned by early Vag com versions, 402 or something.

Vag com 409 came with the cable and it gave me a warning saying to me that I should check what airbag module I have and like a rebel (more like an eegit) I scanned anyway and found that I in fact do have the messy airbag module, though having said that the fault was cleared and its not staying on as if the module bug was tripped.

The symptom would be the airbag light not going away no matter what.

Im not going to drive the car, I dont need to, so when I can Ill disconnect the battery and get working on that plug. With any luck any errors will stay away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Just remember clearing faults some times can do more harm than good :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Depends on whether or not you want to be able to read CANBUS cars.

The cheaper cables are for non-CANBUS (for example B5 Passat and Mk4 Golf). These can use the free version of VAGCOM to view and clear codes. For $100 you can but the license from Rosstech to allow you to have dealer functionality.For this option the cable you want is called a KKL ODB2 cable.

For CANBUS cars (e.g. B6 Passat- nearly all VAG from 2005 on) I would advise buying the cable directly from Rosstech as when you buy their cable you automatically get the license to perform everything the main dealers have I think it costs about $300.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the above IMHO is utter rubbish.

CANBUS is a Bosch developed, ISO registered communication protocol between modules on a vehicle. It has sod all to do with OBD/OBDII diagnostics interface. I think the OP might be a little confused.

Well Im confused now but I dunno why :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Fishtits wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the above IMHO is utter rubbish.

CANBUS is a Bosch developed, ISO registered communication protocol between modules on a vehicle. It has sod all to do with OBD/OBDII diagnostics interface. I think the OP might be a little confused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_area_network

"CAN is one of five protocols used in the OBD-II vehicle diagnostics standard"

BTW I have the KKL cable with the free version of VAGCOM 409 downloaded from the web and it works for me. However If I has the B6 platform I would have to get the proper diagnostic cable from ross tech as the cheaper cables do not support the CAN protocol.

Advertisement