Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sink and Draw, Pike fishing

Options
  • 21-03-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    When I fish for pike, its either spinning or legering. I have tried the sink and draw/wobbling a few times, but with no success. Il be pike fishing next sunday, and want to spend the day using this method, as i want to cover a lot of water. If anyone has any tips or advice, it would be great. what i usually do is:

small mackerel or a smelt, one or two swan shots on the trace near the dead bait. let it sink to the bottom, then slowly twitch the dead bait back while rising the rod tip every so often to rise bait of the bottom

frank

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.... what i usually do is:
    small mackerel or a smelt, one or two swan shots on the trace near the dead bait. let it sink to the bottom, then slowly twitch the dead bait back while rising the rod tip every so often to rise bait of the bottom
    frank

That's more or less it.

It could be a faster retrieve too. Sometimes they want it faster, so be sure to try both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

`The sink and draw or wobbling as most call it is to imitate a dying or injured fish.
    This time of year the fish will be active after the winter when they slow down and dont move or feed as much.
    Fresh silverfish work very well or my personal favorite, the smelt.
    Try fishing about mid depth and vary your retrives from slow to fast with twitches every few seconds. this makes the fish dart left and right in the water and the pike go mad for it.
    Fish your bait right to the bank as this is where you get alot of takes.
    Bring a clip on float, thier real handy when you want to sit down for a few mins and when fishing a very slow draw when the bottom is snaggy or weedy.

You will more than likley catch smaller fish but a larger quantity.
    Hope this helps. Tight lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

have the pike finished spawning yet? wanna get out over the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

have the pike finished spawning yet? wanna get out over the week!

With the cold spell they would only be starting now.
    Was out today and did ok, nothing to write home about. 6 pike the largest being 6lb15oz smallest was 1lb 2oz. none with the usual marks from spawning.

Advertisement