Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Astec House Alarm - can I upgrade?

Options
  • 21-03-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've got an Astec house alarm that simply triggers an external siren when it goes off.
    I now want to upgrade so that it also sends text messages to a couple of mobiles when it goes off. Does anyone know if Astec alarms can be upgraded to enable this functionality?

It's an Astec 49D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I've got an Astec house alarm that simply triggers an external siren when it goes off.
    I now want to upgrade so that it also sends text messages to a couple of mobiles when it goes off. Does anyone know if Astec alarms can be upgraded to enable this functionality?

It's an Astec 49D

Thanks

Hi lanod2407,

The panel you have installed is for contacting a monitoring station. You could upgrade this panel to a ASTEC FUSION, this panel has the text feature. With up grading you will only need to change the panel and keypad as all the sensors will work on the new panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could add on a generic text dialler to this panel but the messages would be fairly non descript like "Alarm at 22 acacia avenue".
    It will not give you the detail that others can.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Can anyone give me some advice on what would be a potentially good solution given that I've got the Astec 49D installed?

Called a guy this morning who said he's stopped installing text sending units 'cos some customers complained that they'd not received an alert when the phone was off in Mass .............

Is there a unit that will dial and call a number, and then dial another 2 numbers until one of the calls is answered?

I'm living off the road and am concerned with the number of burglaries going on around the country right now (I guess higher unemployment has gotta be a factor) and really don't want to be in a position where I say to myself "why didn't you upgrade the alarm" at some stage in the future.

I want a solution where I get some form of alert that the alarm has been triggered that's good and robust.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could replace you Astec panel for a DV model , which has an integrated voice dialler.
    You programme 4 numbers & 2 voice messages.
    In the event of an activation the alarm rings the first phone number & playes the message. At the end of the message you are asked to pree the * key twice to confirm the message. If the panel does not hear that kiss off if will call the next number & so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

That sounds really useful koolkid - where can I get a DV model, and can I fit it myself (limited technical know-how!!) ?

I'm based close to Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That sounds really useful koolkid - where can I get a DV model, and can I fit it myself (limited technical know-how!!) ?

I'm based close to Limerick

Phone Astec on 016704201 & they will give you details of suppliers close to you. It would be a straight forward swap out. The only thing you would need to add is a phone line.
    Astecs manuals are very comprehensive & will cover everything you need to know.
    And sure if you get stuck we are here for you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Can anyone give me some advice on what would be a potentially good solution given that I've got the Astec 49D installed?

Called a guy this morning who said he's stopped installing text sending units 'cos some customers complained that they'd not received an alert when the phone was off in Mass .............

Is there a unit that will dial and call a number, and then dial another 2 numbers until one of the calls is answered?

I'm living off the road and am concerned with the number of burglaries going on around the country right now (I guess higher unemployment has gotta be a factor) and really don't want to be in a position where I say to myself "why didn't you upgrade the alarm" at some stage in the future.

I want a solution where I get some form of alert that the alarm has been triggered that's good and robust.

As koolkid said the DV is the best way to go for yourself if you want the voice rather than text. Make sure you get a 49DV. Replacing the panel is easy as your just going to put the cables from the 49D the same way on the 49DV.
    You will need a handset to program the voice messages in the panel but it is also very easy to do and there is not much programming on the old astec system.

If you have any problems doing this we are all here to help..

Advertisement