Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant open on Good Friday?

Options
  • 21-03-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Does anybody know of a decent restaurant that will be open for lunch on Good Friday? I've had trouble getting bookings for evening meals before, due to wine licences, but I'd be happy not to drink overpriced wine for the sake of good food! Somewhere a little bit fancy would be perfect, it's for a special occasion :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Anyone? Guess it's McDonalds then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone? Guess it's McDonalds then :(

I don't personally know of any, but here's a link to a lot of restaurants in the country (you didn't say where you are!).

http://menupages.ie/

Ring a few that take your fancy and see what the story is. Otherwise, I would go somewhere on the Saturday instead.

Enjoy the special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smilerterry

This place, I've not tried it myself - so not a recommendation.

http://www.lapeniche.ie/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Can you not just leave eating out in a restaraunt for one day of the year? Just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Can you not just leave eating out in a restaraunt for one day of the year? Just one?
    Why should we?

• Advertisement

It's only my birthday one day of the year...
    My family are rarely all in Dublin but will happen to be on this day...
    I'm not Catholic...
    I just want a birthday lunch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Freemasonry

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I think Chapter One is open OP, if you want to go for an all-out birthday splash :) Give them a call.

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I got food in the Skylon hotel one year and had a few pints to go with it..it might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Proxy wrote: »
    I think Chapter One is open OP, if you want to go for an all-out birthday splash :) Give them a call.

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/index.html
    I tried getting them a few months back, booked out every Friday and Saturday for 10 weeks! No recession in their restaurant!

OP I reckon your best bet is to ring everyone! If there's a big group then I'd recommend The Winding Stair on the Quays, a few doors down from Zanzibar. It's really nice and it aint the quietest place so everyone with you can chat away without worrying anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'm also looking for a place for lunch too. So far I've rang Cafe Bar Deli on George St and The Hop House and they are both closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I think most people including myself do without eating in restaurants the majority of days in the year.
    I have the day off and would like to eat in a restaurant, why would you have a problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

adamski8 wrote: »
    I think most people including myself do without eating in restaurants the majority of days in the year.
    I have the day off and would like to eat in a restaurant, why would you have a problem with that?

Ha, I was just doing an impression of every religious cretin that says the same thing about having a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I see that the barge called La Peniche is open for lunch and dinner on Good Friday. They'll be serving alcohol too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Monty's in Rathgar is open on Good Friday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SUSANJ

Hi guys Lapeniche is open on Good Friday. Somebody already mentioned it. I went there last year and it was lovely. Its a barge that goes from outside the Mespil Hotel. 2 course lunch with cruise is 29.95. We had a lovely time last year. When you board first of all, you can have a drink on top deck before the meal, then you are bought downstairs for the meal. After the starter, we went up to the deck for a while and then back for the main course. The food was gorgeous and only for one of my kids went for a sleepover afterwards, we would have stayed on for a drink on the upper Deck. The Hilton Hotel was open as well but obviously not serving drink to customers (think its easier to deal drugs in this country, such a mad law on good friday!) and we went into the Hilton for a coffee afterwards. Nice day out, highly recommended. I believe the Goat in is open as well for food.

Having done a quick ring around today, quite a few places seem to be open :) Millstone on Dame st and Carluccio's on Dawson St, as well as a few Temple Bar eateries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

"The Farm" on Dawson Street also open on Good Friday!
    http://www.thefarmrestaurant.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I'm not Catholic...

Jesus died on the cross not just for Catholics (and the various reformed denominations) but for all mankind, for the sins of the world...in perpetuity! :pac:

But if you must eat, you can go to one of Charle Chawke's pubs. I heard him on the radio saying that all his pubs will be open and serving food (not drink). Not sure which pubs he owns but am pretty sure he owns the Oval (Abbey St/O'Connell St junction), the Goat (Goatstown), and a few others in town. Traditionally Good Friday is a holiday for restaurant workers...obviously most people couldn't give a fig about the religious element.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Gruel' on Dame St will be open Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

I read somewhere that the restaurant at the mansion house is open on Good Friday. Anyone know if it's true?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

BeerNut wrote: »

Perfect. thats us sorted so :D

had been ringing around

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

BeerNut wrote: »

Excellent thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Cleaver East in the Clarance Hotel is open as well

www.cleavereast.ie

Advertisement