Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire just outside Buncrana

Options
  • 21-03-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Looking down the Swilly from Ramelton, there's a fire raging on the hill to the other side of Buncrana. Looks huge from here, stretching over a couple of miles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Seen that myself about an hour ago, looking out now, it seems to be dying down.
    Seen a few fires over the past week, seems Farmers a burning gorse/whin bushes.
    I,m in portsalon btw, and my view is a little restricted by a hill, you obviously have a better view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lily marlene

I am looking out at the fire from our house and its still raging on. Its been burning for over 3 hours now. At one point it must of stretched for about 2 miles. Pretty inacessible for fire crews who have been stretched to the limit over this last week with lots of different hill fires to deal with. Does not look like going out for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

It looked far worse from my direction than any fires I've seen near Buncrana over the last few years.

that rain should help things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lily marlene

Definitely the worst fire for a long time. Its still burning strong but it is starting to rain heavily so that should help. The fire to the Buncrana side of the hill seems to be dying down a bit but there is still a big glow coming from the far side. If it keeps going it could reach Sliabh Sneacht but I think the rain will stop it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Great to look at up close :)

26488_1356931556190_1018503212_996499_5722498_n.jpg

My cousin is on the fire crew that put the thing out, he says these flames on the top of Sliabh Sneacht woulda easily been 30 feet high...
    26488_1356931596191_1018503212_996500_512155_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Looking down onto the Swilly from Buncrana there has been serious smoke out there all evening which seems to be blowing down from somewhere to the north of the town and up onto the hills down around Fahan, anyone know the story :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Theres been plenty of fires around this week, big one out around Keadue the other day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I hope when the firestarters are caught they get a heavy fine. Never mind the resources tied up with the Fire Brigade, but if there was a house fire or an accident, the delay in an appliance getting there could prove fatal

Advertisement