Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web browsing stalled

• 21-03-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

In the past few weeks, I have difficulty browsing web sites due to stalled web site access constantly happening over my home fixed line broadband.

It may be just a coincidence, but this problem started about the time the service migration deal from BT Ireland to Vodafone took place. With the correct ADSL access login and password supplied by Vodafone at the changeover, I have no problem pinging to websites and using email at all. However, the stalled response occurs intermittently, almost throughout the weekend, and at least after 9pm most weekdays.

My subscrption has 48 to 1 contention ratio that has remained the same, no ADSL modem change during the changeover, but I had had no problem like this on BT Ireland.

A customer care person from Vodafone says a line noise level may cause this sort of problems, but so far no chance to have this tested due to their system down time every Sunday.

A couple of people suggested setting DNS servers manually to different ones. I picked three different ones from running speedtest.net, but a couple of days after the change, the same problem ensued.

I am wondering if there are a number of people experiencing this sort of problems out there, and if there is a solution that I have not found. Or is this something that has become a non-straightforward problem in the Internet world?

I would love to hear any comments and suggestions. Thank you.

aldente

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Line stats, line stats, line stats....

Log onto your router and check them to see the quality of your phone connection to your exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aldente

ongarite wrote: »
    Line stats, line stats, line stats....

Log onto your router and check them to see the quality of your phone connection to your exchange.

Thank you, ongarite. The line attenuation on my router is 19.0 dB for downstream and 9.5 dB for upstream. Noise margin is 19.1 dB and 18.0 dB, respectively. A Vodafone customer care person said a normal range of noise margin should be between 12 and 16 dB. Is this a clear sign of this problem? Unfortunately, I have no figure from the BT Ireland days, so I am unable to compare them, not to mention that I am not an electric engineer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

aldente wrote: »
    Thank you, ongarite. The line attenation on my router is 19.0 dB for downstream and 9.5 dB for upstream. Noise margin is 19.1 dB and 18.0 dB, respectively. A Vodafone customer care person said a normal range of noise margin should be between 12 to 16 dB. Is this a clear sign of this problem? Unfortunately, I have no figure from the BT Ireland days, so I am unable to compare them, not to mention that I am not an electric engineer.

You appear to have excellent line stats. The lower the attentuation the better and the higher the snr the better so you are grand.

Advertisement