Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying 4870, replace or upgrade?

• 21-03-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

So my beloved 512MB 4870 is passing away (admittedly a little before its time, only being owned for two years), and I'm left with the question; replace or upgrade?
    The 4870's seem to be fading away from shops, but there are still one or two products left (Vapor-X for €150 and the normal one for €133)
    I was tempted to upgrade to the 5770 that solitaire was kind enough to post in the bargain alerts section, but it seems that it is actually slower than the 4870.
    So what is the advice you guys have? Should I just go for a replacement 4870? Will still be better than my dying one, as it's only a 512MB version :)
    Or should I splash out on a newer model? Any advice/recommendations welcome, will post full specs if required!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Kazuma wrote: »
    So what is the advice you guys have? Should I just go for a replacement 4870? Will still be better than my dying one, as it's only a 512MB version :)
    Or should I splash out on a newer model? Any advice/recommendations welcome, will post full specs if required!

Tis a toughie.

1)5770 is really only a step sideways in performance for €130 odd ditto a GF GTX260/275 (which are much more expensive new!)

2) 4870 would be a direct replacement but are hard to find, would try pick one up cheap 2nd hand. Again it would only match you current card, even a 1gig model unless you are playing on a 24" and I still wouldn't pay full price for one....

3) Anything else above the performance of a 4870 is expensive a 5850 will be around €280 to €300 at least.

All you can do is hang on and see what Nvidia's latest entries to the market do to prices or try pickup a cheap 2nd hand 4890/4870, 260/275/285GTX etc...

At least a 5850 is really the next jump for you atm if you want to improve your performance again waiting might reduce prices. Market prob won't be terribly competitive even with Nivida's new stuff 460/480GT coming on stream. Heres hoping ATI drop their prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No point going for the same again, a 1GB 4890 is a nice step up if You can get one, try ebay.

Advertisement