Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Music System

Options
  • 21-03-2010 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all,

I've recently gotten a quote from smaarthomes for a central music system for our new-build. The quote was a good bit higher than expected and I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to putting in their system. All suggestions appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yes, I'm sure there is... What sort of system did you have in mind? Or to help you - try answering these:

What sources are going to feed into it? Radio, Multi-play CD, single CD, Computer, iPod?

How many rooms and zones do you want? What about 'unusual' zones - should any zones have local tie-ins, do you want music in your bathroom, music outside on the deck/patio?

Will this system be used for surround sound / DVD as well? (Probably not, though a tie-in for the TV sound might be handy for watching sports)

How much local control would you want?

What sort of speakers do you want? Ceiling, wall-mount, floor-standers or a combination?

You will probably find that the price of some systems like NuVo or Russound equipment will be higher than if you used commercial-grade stuff like what's used in pubs, shops, gyms etc although the zone controls will not be quite as good. I wouldn't bother with systems that built-in MP3 facilities, they're likely to be obsolete in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Lets just say smarthomes would be one of the elite names out there and price accordingly. They use cabling etc that have their logo stamped on it - looks good but costs hell of a lot more. PM me if you wish i can give you some info, but not willing to put it on here public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Have a look Apple AirPort express. I have setup multi room audio using this by having an Airport in each room I want audio. Basically this device streams your Itunes music over wireless, the device also acts like a repeater so boosts the wireless signal in your honme

My multi room audio of 7 zones cost me €1500 for 7 airport expresses and powered speakers.

Even a multi-zone system fed from a number of airport expresses might be all you need, just to keep the cabling neater.

What I did was wire my home/rooms/Garden in advance with speaker wire and I took this to various lockations around home. So for downstairs I have a small server cupboard with 3 Airport express units attached to amps so it all looks neat and tidy just like the expensive setups. For my living room I have a Airport express wired into the AV receaver and into the surround sound which again was pre-wired during construction.

I also have a spare Airport Express and a JBL powered speaker that I use as a portable unit.

It works very well and as I have a Iphone I can remote access the audio system and select what speakers I want the out put to go just like an expensive setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ju_q

Thanks a million for that. Had a quick look at the airport express, Just wondering what they mean when they say:

"All you have to do is plug an AirPort Express into an electrical outlet near those speakers, then connect them with an audio cable."

Is that to do with the wiring - as in that the speakers are somehow connected to the socket, or to the airport express? I'm sure that's a really stupid question, but technology isn't my strongest point!

Thanks again

No, they'd have to be "powered speakers" or else a stereo amplifier connected to a pair of normal speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ju_q

Would someone mind dumbing this down for me a bit - i've been looking at the apple website to see if I can figure out the airport express, but to be honest, I'm more comfused now than I was 2 days ago!! I wouldn't want to have visible wires from the speakers, but the website seems to be saying that the airport express has to be connected to them. Also looked at the Bose website at speakers, but have no idea what I should be looking at, or what any of their descriptions mean!!

Any other suggestions for a cheaper alternative would be appreciated too!

Thanks a million:)

The only thing "wireless" about the Airport Express is the Wi-Fi to your computer (it can be plugged into an ethernet network also if you prefer). It has a normal headphone-size jack that will connect to a pair of powered speakers, like computer speakers, or to a mini system, stereo amplifier or surround amplifier.

Basically, the way I use it is that I have the Apple TV (which does the same thing as an Airport Express) connected to the Auxiliary Input of my sound system, which is connected to normal hard-wired speakers. Then I can use iTunes from my laptop and just set it to send the audio through the Apple TV wirelessly. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi ju_q

One word - Sonos. Nothing else comes close unless you spend megabucks.

Works wirelessly over a proprietary network or wired ethernet and can play pretty much every music format (FLAC, Ogg, Vorbis. MP3, AAC) from multiple PCs, Mac or Nas drives. Internet radio stations and music services built in. Can synchronise across multiple zones, expands up to 32. Can be operated from a proprietary touchscreen controller or the free-to-download PC, Mac or iPhone/iPod touch applications. A very active user community and upgrades are automatically downloaded. Can start with one zone and expand with more as you need to. Three options - ZP120 (needs speakers), ZP90 (plugs into an amp) or the new S5 (a "one box" solution).

No connection, just a very satisfied customer, as are several people I've recommended it to.

There are inferior alternatives - Philips Streamium or Logitech Squeezebox - but they do not have half the features and rely on your wifi router.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I use apple airport as well for 5 music zones. To "Dumb it down" I can explain my zones and how I connect the airport to speakers.

Zone 1 - Living room, I have the airport plugged into a electrical socket next to my home cinema setup. I have 3.5mm jack (same as a headphone plug) to RCA adaptor (two connectors one red and one white) and this plugs into to my AUX input on my home cinema setup. When I send music to this speaker using itunes the music plays through my surround sound speakers. the home cinema acts as the amplifier.

Zone 2 - Bed room, I have a 2.1 PC speaker plugged directly into the airport using a 3.5mm jack. PC speakers have a built in amplifier so this is the easiest method.

Zone 3 - Garden, The speakers in the Garden using the airport need a amplifier to drive them. In this setup I have the airport plugged into a cupboard in my living room. I use a 3.5mm jack cable plugged into a Renkforce amplifier that I bought from amazon and the speaker cables are wired into the amplifier.

zone 4 - Bathroom, The bathroom has celling speakers again these are not powered (do not have built in amplifiers). I use the same setup as the garden using a amp in a remote location and the speaker wire is hidden.

Zone 5 - Flexible, Zone 5 is my portable solution. I have an airport express and a IPOD dock/speaker (sony) that I can move to any room and plug in as required. I also Take this on the road on business or to friends for bbq etc.

Music server(s) - I use a old desktop PC with an external 1TB hard drive to store my music and this is always on. I also have two laptops that have about 100gb of music on each that also can independently play on my zones.

Remote control - I own a Iphone so I can remote control this setup, a IPOD will also do the same function

Total cost is as follows

5x apple airport @ €79 each (Amsterdam Airport) or €89 from apple store ireland
    Home cinema - (already owned) so either €0 or €499 if you have this
    PC Speakers @ (already owned) so either €0 or €49
    Renkforce amp @ €50 x2
    Sony IPOD dock €199
    Cables approx €40
    Outdoor speakers €90
    Celling Speakers €80
    Ipod (remote control, optional) €180

So the cost if starting from scratch is about €1600 or if I remove all the components I already had its about €900 for 5 zones.

Sonos is a good system without a doubt but its about €1000 for two zones. If you have elements of system like I did then airport is good value for money. If you have nothing then sonos is the way to go.

Definitely agree with the above two - was going to recommend the Sonos system but I wasn't sure what the availability and pricing in Ireland were like. Just wondering Krissovo - are you using 100V line speakers and PA amplifiers for outside/bathroom? I was thinking of doing the same thing as you. Actually in your living room I think the Airport Express also outputs optical digital over the same jack so you could try a digital lead to your amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Outdoor Speakers are these:

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/builder-series-6-25-inch-patio-speakers-ap600.html

They are fairly decent and the quality is good for outside, if you are an audio snob then consider more expensive options.

I have one of these in the bathroom:

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/weather-resistant-in-ceiling-speakers.html

Its dual channel so plays stereo channels through a single speaker which is enough for the small bathroom. Again speaker is perfect for the bath room nless you are a audio snob.

I didnt know that the airport was optical! Time to get some new cables!

Cheers for the speaker links - they'll do great.

Seemingly so: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10297427-1.html

I am getting some good ideas here to expand my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MR PIGGY

Can someone please help me, i am looking for a mounting bracket for my ipod touch.

Cheers

Advertisement