Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st hospital visit WaterfordHi

• 21-03-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm 12 weeks preg for 1st time and will have 1st hospital visit on 31st of March.

Do they always do a scan on the 1st visit, I will be 14 weeks?

Do I have to turn up with a full bladder in the event of a scan or will they give me time to get the 2 liters into me before a scan?

I know I have to bring a urine sample and my appointment card, doI need anything else?

It took me 2 weeks to get through to the secretary to find out the date, I got such shock when somebody answered, I forgot to ask.

I'll be going to Waterford Regional Hospital.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 euromillions

1st of all congrats & best of luck.

I was scanned in Waterford regional hospital at my 1st scan at 9 weeks, in fact I was scanned at all my appointments. I (foolishly) drunk loads of water before the 1st scan & nearly peed myself when midwife was scanning me as they push down really hard on your bladder, it was so uncomfortable. Didn't drink at all for the next ones. They have water there anyway if you need it.

You also meet with a doctor who take all your details & family history etc & a midwife who talks about brestfeeding etc. You then go downstairs to get your bloods down. The whole appointment took about two hours including waiting times(obviously you'll be seen much quicker if you're private)

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Im from Waterford too and i never once went out there with a full bladder for a scan.
    You firstly go into the doctor and they feel your belly and test your urine and ask lots of questions about twins etc, then you get your scan to determine your exact dates, the dates from my menstrual cycle and the scan were about a week out and they go by your scan date, then you get your bloods done. Bring a magazine it can take a min of two hours to get through all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh lovely 2 hours, Def bring a mag.

Just thought as the secretary never mentioned water that I wouldn't get a scan.

Obvious I really want one as I'll be 14 weeks.

Also got advice to sign up to pre-natal classes as soon as possible as they fill up quickly. Who takes bookings? midwives?

Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

My first appointment was at 10am and i didnt get out until like 1 but they were really busy that! Hopefully its a bit faster now.
    Dont worry you will def be scanned for your first appointment, the date the scan gives you is the date that goes in your file for the gestation of your baby no matter what you menstrual cycle says they go by your scan date (size of the baby).
    That and its your first appointment, they want to check the baby is growing ok and the placenta is located (over your baby) in the right position and that the placenta is working correctly, its really intersting all they can do with scans. I was scaned at 13weeks and three days and the nurse said that my little one had her thumb in her mouth, i didnt even know fingers were formed at that point.
    I wasnt scanned at every appointment know but i know you have to be scanned at the first one, and at 20 -22 weeks (you can tell the sex at this point). I was scanned at 28 weeks and 34weeks aswell, they told me the estimated weight of the baby, which terrified me as she was already 7lbs at 34 weeks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you ring back and make sure you are booked in for a scan, it is possible to have your first appointment to be a booking in appointment, with files being filled in, blood samples taken and a physical exam and for you not to get a scan until you are closer to 20 weeks. So ring and make sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement