Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions & recommendations (threads merged)

Options
  • 21-03-2010 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm a big Batman head myself, but I have been reading some other Graphic Novels lately. After finishing all of Preacher I have started reading Sandman, which I am really enjoying. Just wondering if anyone can recommend anything to start reading after I finish Sandman that would be on a similiar wavelength to the last two sets stated?

Cheers,

Owlwink.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

The Invisibles & The Filth by Grant Morrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Lucifer - a spin off from Sandman, personally I like it more. Lots of similarities in theme and so on.

Hellblazer - most of the arcs are good, and there's a good chunk written by Ennis.

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis.

The Boys - Garth Ennis. For all your no holds barred, Ennis style dark humour and violence needs.

Fables, by erh...Bill Willingham (thanks Google) has characters from fairy tales in the modern realm. Mostly good.

Actually, thinking about it, you should probably check out most of the stuff from DCs Vertigo imprint, and see what appeals to you from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Lucifer - a spin off from Sandman, personally I like it more. Lots of similarities in theme and so on.

Hellblazer - most of the arcs are good, and there's a good chunk written by Ennis.

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis.

The Boys - Garth Ennis. For all your no holds barred, Ennis style dark humour and violence needs.

Fables, by erh...Bill Willingham (thanks Google) has characters from fairy tales in the modern realm. Mostly good.

Actually, thinking about it, you should probably check out most of the stuff from DCs Vertigo imprint, and see what appeals to you from that.

Hey thanks for the suggestions. My girlfriend is reading Fables at the moment so might have to dip into her leftovers. I'm definitely going to check Lucifer out (I'm assuming he is based of the same lucifer in Sandman)...

The Boys is one I'm definitely thinking of picking up, although I prefer collecting graphic novels that are finished so my thirst can be quenched. I might not have the patience to wait for The Boys ATM.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Owlwink.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

karma_ wrote: »
    The Invisibles & The Filth by Grant Morrison.

Gonna give that a google now. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah the Vertigo Comics are quality. I am just starting Preacher and will be reading Y: The last man after that.

Read the first chapter of Y and it just left me craving more but I will be patient!

mmmm Watchmen maybe???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

Lock And Key By Joe Hill for what is one of the best attempt's at creepy/horror for a comic.

Doctor Sleepless by Warren Ellis really fun out there Sc/fi.

The Nightly News (Noting to do with the show on TV3) by Jonathan Hickman its describe as Network meets fight club which just about sum's it up.

Supermarket by Brian Wood just great artwork and story one of the best i read and DEMO also by Brian Wood is a bunch of done in one stories about people with superpowers but done in a realstic way. Great artwork again but some stories your like more then others.

Last one: The eternals by Neil Gaiman , a mainstream marvel book but with a bit of an out there/other world feel to it and John Romita Jnr artwork which brings it to another level. Only down side there a minor tie in to the civil war event which looks out of place now in the context of the story.

owlwink wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the suggestions. My girlfriend is reading Fables at the moment so might have to dip into her leftovers. I'm definitely going to check Lucifer out (I'm assuming he is based of the same lucifer in Sandman)...

Yup, the same. He's a brilliant character, not much of a standard good guy (not quite the usual anti-hero either though).
    The Boys is one I'm definitely thinking of picking up, although I prefer collecting graphic novels that are finished so my thirst can be quenched. I might not have the patience to wait for The Boys ATM.

Tell me about it - I usually make a point of not starting anything until it's finished or near finished. Naturally "Planetary" was one I started into fairly early. 27 issues, started in late 99, went on hiatus for a couple of years, then came back, finally finished in 2009!
    Thanks for the suggestions,

No problem ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jennypaul2009

i just love luciferrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

I'm waiting for a nice hardback collection to start reading Lucifer. Like an omnibus or something. Which is a shame, because I hear it's great. Loved Sandman.

If you like Sandman and Batman, give Starman a go. They're publishing it in nice harcover sets at the moment. It's a retrospective and nostalgic look at the history of DC Comics that is surprisingly well written. No idea why James Robison can't write half that well these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

y the last man is a must read,
    neil gaiman's death spin-offs,
    the walking dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭E0inz

I want to read a Graphic Novel but i dont know where to start. Can someone recommend one and possibly tell me where i can buy it, in Dublin.
    Cheers

Any idea as to what genre or theme you might like?

Superheroes vs more realistic stuff, crime vs horror vs drama and so on?

Critically acclaimed, hugely popular, or both?

Friendly heroes that don't kill vs The Authority?

Not meaning to be smart, but your question is the same as saying "I want to read a book, what's a good one?"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Without wanting to sound mean, please read the Charter - specifically "If you're still looking for suggestions, post up a new thread including at least 5 titles that will give a good indication of your tastes or what sort of thing you're interested in reading." None of us know what you might enjoy reading without some context of what you're looking for.

If you genuinely have no idea what you're looking for, your best bet is going to be to look through the What Are You Reading? thread or maybe the old Ultimate Comic Bookshelf thread and try to get some ideas.

Otherwise, give us some pointers on what you're after, preferably with some indication of what comics you've already read and enjoyed or disliked, and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the reply's. It didnt occur to me the resources i had available here. Kinda just put the question out there. Something involving superhero's could be interesting, recently watched watchmen and thats what got me thinking. Ive heard of a graphic novel called Y - the last man. It seems to have a real apocalyptic feel to it. I really enjoyed the novel The Road so i think i might like this. Have you read it? Is it good?

Cheers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Y: The Last Man is a good longform post-apocalyptic story - it starts off with every male mammal on the planet dying simultaneously for unknown reasons, except for Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand. It's not quite as bleak as The Road but is broadly a similar sort of story. Bear in mind that it's 10 volumes in total.

Watchmen is a fantastic read, though you may find it very dense compared to the film. There are text sections at the end of each chapter that may seem irrelevant but are integral to the overall story. It's definitely worth reading, I would say.

Other good starter comics if you're new to superheroes are:
    • Warren Ellis' run on Stormwatch (collected in five volumes - Force Of Nature; Lightning Strikes; Change Or Die; A Finer World; and Final Orbit)
    • Warren Ellis' The Authority (follows on from Stormwatch, collected in two volumes - Relentless & Under New Management)
    • Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch's Ultimates (collected in four volumes - Superhuman; Homeland Security; Gods & Monsters; and Grand Theft America)
    • Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman
    • Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    • Gerard Way & Gabriel Ba's Umbrella Academy (two volumes out so far, Apocalypse Suite & Dallas)
    • Warren Ellis & Stuart Immonen's Nextwave (two volumes, This Is What They Want and I Kick Your Face - also recently re-released as a single bumper collection)

Hopefully that's enough to get you started - let us know how you get on :)

Thanks a million, im gonna check out Y and research those other ones, im defo gettin one tho.. Should be headin town this weekend so ill see if i can pick one up

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

Hey all I've recently started reading graphic novels, and I'm looking to see if anyone can recommend comic series for me to read, preferable something recent I'd like to start reading from the start
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Why_So_Serious?

The Death Of captain America is a good one too read or 100 Bullets or Ultimate Avengers

The Death Of captain America is a good one too read or 100 Bullets or Ultimate Avengers

Are they recent? Also is there many in each of these series? Because i am currently broke :(

There 3 in the captain America one i think there's 13 in the 100 bullets one not sure about the avengers.....yeah there recent enough there within the last few years anyway

• Advertisement

There 3 in the captain America one i think there's 13 in the 100 bullets one not sure about the avengers.....yeah there recent enough there within the last few years anyway

Are they the Captain America comics?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Son:_The_Death_of_Captain_America

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

What kind of comics do you like and how recent is recent for you?

Ridley wrote: »

Dont mind that comment :P

I think thats them anyway

Ridley wrote: »

Well I've reading watchmen and really enjoying it, have read the "killing joke" and I've enjoyed it

I'm really new to comics as you can see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Dont mind that comment :P

I think thats them anyway

How rude...
    leedsfan88 wrote: »
    Well I've reading watchmen and really enjoying it, have read the "killing joke" and I've enjoyed it

I'm really new to comics as you can see

Well the Batman go-tos are The Long Halloween, Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

He's just gonna recommend Scott Pilgrim :p

I've merged several threads here, because suggestion threads are boring at the best of time because the same five or ten comics get recommended over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    Hey all I've recently started reading graphic novels, and I'm looking to see if anyone can recommend comic series for me to read, preferable something recent I'd like to start reading from the start
    :D

Something you want to read from start to finish? It's best to pick particular runs. If you're looking for superhero stuff:
    • Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern, but there's a lot of it across many books. Good news is there's a lovely Absolute Edition of his first collection Rebirth out this month
    • The entirity of Mark Millar's run on The Ultimates is collected in a Marvel Ultimates Omnibus, which collects every issue of the series
    • Brian Michael Bendis' run on Daredevil, also Ed Brubaker's run. The latter is still completely available in Marvel Omnibus, and you can get half of Bendis' run in a single book if you want
    • Either Grant Morrison or Joss Whedon's runs on X-Men. Both are relatively self-contained and two of the finest runs in the history of the franchise.

None of these are really "new" or "from the start", but they are easy enough to pick up.

If you really want stuff from the start, try a limited or finite series. I'd recommend (as others have) Y: The Last Man, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Lucifer or even Starman.

Alternatively, Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman. It's a self-contained Superman story, which can be read in isolation from start-to-finish. A lovely little experiment and the type of storytelling I'd love to see more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Just read Civil War, can anyone suggest what to read next?

Looking for a collection/complete story arc rather than individual comics.
    Prefer the more modern art style/colours rather than the "retro" style (e.g. Watchmen)
    Can be DC/Marvel/Dark Horse/etc...

Any suggestions? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement