Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice when leaving part-time employment?

Options
  • 22-03-2010 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

I've been working with a company on a part-time contract (no end-date) for a few months now. However, I'm leaving next month to travel. Do I need to give them notice and if so how much? I'm on good terms with them and am sure there will be no problems but do I have to put something in writing and are they entitled to turn around and end my tenure sooner? Again, not worrying about it but where do I stand legally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking you should drop them a note to say that you will no longer be available for work after X date, giving them at least a week's notice. Politness suggests you would give them some more time and have a conversation with you boss when you hand in your notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

I told them I was planning to travel in the new year when I started but didn't have dates. Strictly speaking my boss isn't around, I work on location and only deal with him over the phone/by email so I wasn't sure how to approach it.

I thought about sending an email saying "I was waiting on some things to come through and now they have I intend to leave in a month. Thanks for having me on board and look forward to working with you again". Then following up with a phone call to see he'd got it and make some chit chat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Give at least 2 weeks notice to allow them get someone the replace you, if you intend on looking for a job there when you return from your travels.

Advertisement