Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

king lear- appearance and reality.

Options
  • 22-03-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Any suggestions on what approach to take?. I wrote an essay but it really has no structure to it The question refers to the theme being presented in both an interesting and dramatic manner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

what's the actual question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 enigma91

Q:the theme of appearance and reality is presented in dramatic and interesting manners in the play king lear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to write it again tonight. Getting no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Okay so I suck at Lear and haven't revised it in a long time but here goes?

Before I do any question I always look at the main aspects of the question. "Illusion" and "Reality" would immediately leap out at me. So I'd do out a little plan of the answer.

There are 2 types of illusion in Lear I think. First of all, there is Goneril and Regan's illusion of their love for Lear. They pronounce it during the love test but when the "reality" rolls around it turns out they don't love him. That would be my major point of the essay.

Secondly, there is the "madness illusion". I wouldn't go on about this too much but I'd mention the scene in the barn/shack during the storm when Lear has the mock trial and hallucinates prosecuting Goneril and Regan for what they did to him. It's also interesting to note how Poor Tom (Edgar) and Fool recognise this but still participate. Maybe some point about Lear losing his grip of reality to illusion in a dramatic fashion?

There is also the illusion of the characters of Poor Tom and Caius (Kent) who disguise themselves to protect those they truly love.

For reality I think the ending that everyone dies is a good angle. It's dramatic and realistic - there was no happy ending.

That's just a quick skim over, or what I came up with in 5 minutes of brainstorming... off to do my English hw now myself. Good luck!!

Thats a great help. Thanks a million. Really impressed that you just thought of that off the top of your head!

q:discuss how shakespeare presents the conflict between good and evil.

i was thinking of approaching it by discussing
    1.the reason why edmund/goneril and regan feel justified in their actions.
    2.the contrast between goneril regan and cordelia in the love test.
    3.the animal and christian imagery used to highlight their opposing natures
    4.the sub-plot mirroring the main plot.
    5.the dual between edmund and edgar/how the forces of good overcome evil but at a great loss.

any suggestions on how i should structure the essay?
    much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 nadbags

yeah wayhey... you really suck at lear.. not!!
    def gonna be using that as a basis for my next essay thank you very much :D

Advertisement