Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[RULES QUESTIONS]Any questions or are unsure about anything, ask here before posting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Lemming wrote: »
    But when the seller is challenged and shown how much they paid for an item; purchased second hand off someone else on boards.ie (which is what happened to thermo), I would consider their behaviour to be in incredibly poor taste & very much against the spirit of the charter, if not the absolute letter of the definition on profiteering.
    I disagree, we would need a specific rule to cover that.
    In the cases cited above, neither was a breach of the profiteering rule.

When a seller is challenged in this situation, they can withdraw the item but it's their choice.
    Technically if someone challenges them (unless they are using the previous sale as evidence to justify an offer) then it would constitute threadspoiling.

Best practice is, and this is current policy on adverts.ie, for the post to be reported so an uninvolved mod can post a link to the previous sale. After that it is up to potential buyers to determine how much the item is worth and how much they should offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Steve wrote: »
    I disagree, we would need a specific rule to cover that.
    In the cases cited above, neither was a breach of the profiteering rule.

When a seller is challenged in this situation, they can withdraw the item but it's their choice.
    Technically if someone challenges them (unless they are using the previous sale as evidence to justify an offer) then it would constitute threadspoiling.

Best practice is, and this is current policy on adverts.ie, for the post to be reported so an uninvolved mod can post a link to the previous sale. After that it is up to potential buyers to determine how much the item is worth and how much they should offer.
    Again i have to ask then why was dryndantheman banned for a week ????

grapeape wrote: »
    Again i have to ask then why was dryndantheman banned for a week ????
    Official answer:
    Only the mod concerned can answer that, it's not my place to analyse the actions of another mod in a public thread nor is it yours to campaign on this thread on behalf of another user - there are avenues of appeal open that can question any mod action on this site.

Non-official answer:
    If we believe that someone is acting against the spirit of the forum then rules or no rules it is within our remit to remove their access. Mostly this works well but there are exceptions and, as we're all human, we don't always get it right 100% of the time. This it why there are channels for appeal and why we have cmods and admins that we are answerable to. :)

Steve wrote: »
    Official answer:
    Only the mod concerned can answer that, it's not my place to analyse the actions of another mod in a public thread nor is it yours to campaign on this thread on behalf of another user - there are avenues of appeal open that can question any mod action on this site.

Non-official answer:
    If we believe that someone is acting against the spirit of the forum then rules or no rules it is within our remit to remove their access. Mostly this works well but there are exceptions and, as we're all human, we don't always get it right 100% of the time. This it why there are channels for appeal and why we have cmods and admins that we are answerable to. :)
    Official Answer: Im not campaigning for anyone Im trying to get an answer to my question is there one rule for MODs and another for the rest of us
    Non-official answer: A MOD and a non MOD did the same thing both even gave the same argument but one gats banned and the other doesnt CMODs need to bring up their game and get someone to MOD the MODs here as its looking very bad as you steve admitted yourself on the feedback thread Ill leave it at that till the next time because it doesnt look like ill get actions to prove what you say that the same rules apply to us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Hey I did a quick search and couldn't find anything:

If I create a wanted thread for let's say a pistol & I'm willing to offer cash OR trade for it. Can I put the link of my forsale/trade thread of what I have to trade ?

• Advertisement

No problem there as long as you're prudent about promptly keeping people on both threads informed if you make a deal on the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Brilliant just wanted to be certain in case I was doing anything wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Please advise, what does "first refusal" actually mean here?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Please advise, what does "first refusal" actually mean here?

Any advice would be much appreciated
    first to offer asking gets first refusal or lesser amount that seller agrees to it

first to offer asking gets first refusal or lesser amount that seller agrees to it

So if I've offered asking and was first in line, I should the item(s)

Is that correct?

• Advertisement

So if I've offered asking and was first in line, I should the item(s)

Is that correct?
    Going by the rules here yes first to offer asking price without condition gets first refusal

This. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BLUEBIRD39

Where abouts on the rules does it advise you on bumping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

BLUEBIRD39 wrote: »
    Where abouts on the rules does it advise you on bumping?

here
    No excessive bumping.

Bumping is posting something pointless in your thread in order to push it back to the top of the listing in the adverts forum.

You may not 'bump' sooner than 24 hours after your last post on the thread.

Any post is considered bumping except for the following:
    Posting a price drop. (It must be an actual real price drop, i.e. not a drop from €10 to €9.99.. mods reserve the right to judge this)
    Answering a question asked by another user.
    Accepting an offer or negotiating a deal.
    Posting more information about the item for sale (e.g. adding photos, more specifications)
    Moderators decision is final on what constitutes bumping.

Provided 24 hours have passed since your last post, you may simply post 'bump' or 'lil furry kittens' or whatever takes your fancy to bring your ad back to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭tyrone03

i know this has been covered before but just thought id get an up to date answer just incase things have changed from 2010.

can i post a wanted add for an aeg and offer a trade of a psp, i have a few different guns in mind so if i list them ie;" wanted mp5k will trade for psp and x games"
    is this allowed?
    thanks guys!

tyrone03 wrote: »
    i know this has been covered before but just thought id get an up to date answer just incase things have changed from 2010.

can i post a wanted add for an aeg and offer a trade of a psp, i have a few different guns in mind so if i list them ie;" wanted mp5k will trade for psp and x games"
    is this allowed?
    thanks guys!
    Why not put up a for trade ad rather than a wanted ad ie. TRADE PSP for MP5K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭tyrone03

great thanks was unsure of the right way to go about it.

I'd like to know what the unwritten rules are and more specifically, please define what "the spirit of the rules always outweighs the letter of the rules" actually means?

As the spirit of the rules is being used against me, which I feel is ambiguous in my case, so would appreciate a clear and to the point definition + does this policy apply to all or are Mod's and Boards staff excluded?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

It is, in my opinion, impossible to do as you ask, as each situation is dealt with by different personalities.
    Moderators are given wide discretion to run forums as best they can and are subject to the oversight of the CMods and Admins.

If you are aggrieved by a particular decision that would not be suitable for DRP, you have the option to PM the CMods and ask them to have a look at your problem.

Maybe a read through these items might help your understanding.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines

I'd like to know what the unwritten rules are and more specifically, please define what "the spirit of the rules always outweighs the letter of the rules" actually means?
    There are no unwritten rules. 'Spirit of the rules' means that, as moderators, we are duty bound to find a fair solution - based on common sense and fairness - to a situation that the rules of the forum does not cover or has not anticipated.
    Even if there is a rule that apparently covers something, moderators are not absolutely bound to that if it is a situation where someone is using the rules to an unfair and unethical advantage. If the converse were true then we'd easily be replaced by some algorithm running on the boards servers..
    The reason for that is we won't allow ourselves to be restricted by 'rules lawyers' to the unfair detriment of anyone. That is also why, as Dogwatch said, there are avenues to appeal what we decide, to another human (as opposed to an algorithm)... :)
    As the spirit of the rules is being used against me, which I feel is ambiguous in my case, so would appreciate a clear and to the point definition + does this policy apply to all or are Mod's and Boards staff excluded?

Thank you
    For the reasons above, it cannot and will never be defined and written down. There are no exceptions for mods or boards staff. We (local mods) cannot, because of how the software is designed, sanction anyone with more stars than us but that doesn't mean we can't bring it all the way to the top if we see an abuse of this situation. :)

• Advertisement

Cannot believe I've never asked this before, what happens after someone reports a post via the "Report Post" button, does it go in to a ticket management system and what happens next please?

We look at it and if there is a rule breach we act on it :)

If you want feedback on a reported post then pm a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tinyjuggernaut

I have had a rifle up for sale on the forum, but have now sold the rifle to a friend, what do i do with the thread i created for the sale, how do i close it, cheers.

I have had a rifle up for sale on the forum, but have now sold the rifle to a friend, what do i do with the thread i created for the sale, how do i close it, cheers.
    To close a thread, use the "report post" triangle and put the request in the dialogue box. This means that the first Mod to see it will be able to action it.

Can a Mod please advise if the Bumping rule and exceptions listed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79685146&postcount=9

Are still valid or not?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Short answer is yes

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭_Pint_

Hi. I posted a thread for SALE multiple items. The items was on the title. Can i remove items sold from the title, if yes how. Thank You

No, that is not possible. You have posted on thread what is sold and that is the way to do it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brugmand

Hi, is it alright that someone can buy an airsoft gun while the seller and another user are working out a trade/sale
    cheers,Dylan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

brugmand wrote: »
    Hi, is it alright that someone can buy an airsoft gun while the seller and another user are working out a trade/sale
    cheers,Dylan

if a seller has agreed to sell to another user, its up to the seller to honor the agreement.

Advertisement