Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Irish Catholics Don't Feel The Need To Go To Confession

• 22-03-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I went to confession last Saturday morning in my local parish: two people and myself presented themselves. This, in a parish of several thousands. We must be the holiest bunch of people ever, seeing as 99% of Mass-goers present themselves for Communion.

The need to confess and repent has been an underlying theme of many of the Pope's recent statements (his youtube channel is excellent btw) - are we simply not listening? Or maybe it's just too hard for people to get on their knees and ask for forgiveness "in this day and age"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

underclass wrote: »
    I went to confession last Saturday morning in my local parish: two people and myself presented themselves. This, in a parish of several thousands. We must be the holiest bunch of people ever, seeing as 99% of Mass-goers present themselves for Communion.

The need to confess and repent has been an underlying theme of many of the Pope's recent statements (his youtube channel is excellent btw) - are we simply not listening? Or maybe it's just too hard for people to get on their knees and ask for forgiveness "in this day and age"?

Maybe they don't feel the need to do it formally in a Church to a priest?

Maybe 99% of the church were just cultural catholics and are actually atheists?

It seems a bit of a stretch to assume they all think they are holy enough not to need to confess sins to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Many sins are also criminal acts ... and if somebody confesses a criminal act, the priest seems to now be duty-bound to report it to the police.

Would it not make more sense to just confess crimes directly to the police ... and sins directly to Jesus Christ?

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
    6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

J C wrote: »
    Many sins are also criminal acts ... and if somebody confesses a criminal act, the priest seems to now be duty-bound to report it to the police.

Would it not make more sense to just confess crimes directly to the police ... and sins directly to Jesus Christ?

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
    6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

that seems a little bit rich considering all that has happened recently

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

I'd only go to confession to ask the priest if there was anything he wanted to tell me, not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭underclass

Wicknight wrote: »
    Maybe they don't feel the need to do it formally in a Church to a priest?

Indeed. And I have no doubt that this is the case. They need to be explicitly told that all Catholics must confess their sins here on earth or else they live in mortal danger.

The softy-softy approach of the Irish clergy evidently isn't working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

irishejit wrote: »
    that seems a little bit rich considering all that has happened recently
    i fully agree with you
    i have not comitted any sins
    no stealing
    no raping
    no murdering
    no slapping
    no lying
    no need for me to confess to an organisation that commited sins themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Indeed. And I have no doubt that this is the case. They need to be explicitly told that all Catholics must confess their sins here on earth or else they live in mortal danger.
    ... They need to be told that they need to be Saved or they are in immortal danger.
    ... what is this 'softly-softly approach' you are talking about???

... and why do you call yourself 'underclass'???

goat2 wrote: »
    no need for me to confess to an organisation that commited sins themselves

The Catholic Church has never claimed to be sin free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Underclass, its important for us to go to confession yes, I had a thread about this a while ago, and we stressed the need for priests to preach more about this beautiful sacrament of Penance and reconcilation.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3
    John 20:21 - before He grants them the authority to forgive sins, Jesus says to the apostles, "as the Father sent me, so I send you." As Christ was sent by the Father to forgive sins, so Christ sends the apostles and their successors forgive sins.

John 20:22 - the Lord "breathes" on the apostles, and then gives them the power to forgive and retain sins. The only other moment in Scripture where God breathes on man is in Gen. 2:7, when the Lord "breathes" divine life into man. When this happens, a significant transformation takes place.

John 20:23 - Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained." In order for the apostles to exercise this gift of forgiving sins, the penitents must orally confess their sins to them because the apostles are not mind readers. The text makes this very clear.
    Matt. 9:8 - this verse shows that God has given the authority to forgive sins to "men." Hence, those Protestants who acknowledge that the apostles had the authority to forgive sins (which this verse demonstrates) must prove that this gift ended with the apostles. Otherwise, the apostles' successors still possess this gift. Where in Scripture is the gift of authority to forgive sins taken away from the apostles or their successors?
    www.scripturecatholic.com

Underclass, its important for us to go to confession yes, I had a thread about this a while ago, and we stressed the need for priests to preach more about this beautiful sacrament of Penance and reconcilation.

Indeed. People are too preoccupied with other things in their lives. I think all parishes should be having special times dedicated to confession after today's letter from the Pope. I'm talking every morning and evening for the next month.

• Advertisement

Indeed. People are too preoccupied with other things in their lives. I think all parishes should be having special times dedicated to confession after today's letter from the Pope. I'm talking every morning and evening for the next month.

Simply making mornings and evenings for confession everyday though isnt gonna bring them in. My local Parish does it every morning and evening of every day, and its a good thing surely but when I go to midweek confession there is never anyone there. It needs to be preached, and like anything else needs to be marketed well in order to make people aware of it more.

Maybe Holding a national confession day for Catholics once a year and making a celebration out of it could work quite well.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Ok, but do they need to do it in a church in front of a priest?

Can they not just confess to God? Surely God knows what you have done and knows if you are sorry or not.

Ok, but do they need to do it in a church in front of a priest?

Can they not just confess to God?

Confession doesn't have to take place in a church. It can be heard anywhere. And yes, a priest is required afaic. Those once-a-year general absolutions don't cut it either afaic: they're designed for periods (such as war times, famines, catastrophes) where it is impossible for a priest to hear everyone's confession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ehh maybe because it's a joke!

And yes, a priest is required afaic.
    It is?

Excuse my ignorance on RCC, but why? What does the priest do that confessing straight to God doesn't?

Given the current climate with the RCC I think a lot of people might not feel comfortable confessing to a priest. Can they not just confess straight to God?

It is?

Excuse my ignorance on RCC, but why? What does the priest do that confessing straight to God doesn't?

Given the current climate with the RCC I think a lot of people might not feel comfortable confessing to a priest. Can they not just confess straight to God?

Don't have the answer to that one, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Why do we need to confess to a priest? Does the bible not say there is only one mediator between man and God, jesus?? Where does the priest come into it?

It is?

They are confessing to God through the priest, the reason we do this is because( as scripture and tradition points out ) that this is the way God wants it. the priest acts in persona Christi and as Christ gave his apostles and their succesors the authority to forgive sins, so too does he give the priest this also.

if your interested Wicknight there is more on the subject and teaching of Penance and reconciliation in the Cathechism.
    http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

They are confessing to God through the priest, the reason we do this is because( as scripture and tradition points out ) that this is the way God wants it. the priest acts in persona Christi and as Christ gave his apostles and their succesors the authority to forgive sins, so too does he give the priest this also.

if your interested Wicknight there is more on the subject and teaching of Penance and reconciliation in the Cathechism.
    http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

This is the way god wants it? The RCC came from one source like most christains faiths, the bible - The bible does not say what you are suggesting - if anything it says the opposite?

Timothy 1:25 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

This is the way god wants it? The RCC came from one source like most christains faiths, the bible - The bible does not say what you are suggesting - if anything it says the opposite?

Matt. 9:8 - this verse shows that God has given the authority to forgive sins to "men." Hence, those Protestants who acknowledge that the apostles had the authority to forgive sins (which this verse demonstrates) must prove that this gift ended with the apostles. Otherwise, the apostles' successors still possess this gift. Where in Scripture is the gift of authority to forgive sins taken away from the apostles or their successors? http://www.scripturecatholic.com/confession.html

Timothy 1:25 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

1 Tim. 2:5 - Christ is the only mediator, but He was free to decide how His mediation would be applied to us. The Lord chose to use priests of God to carry out His work of forgiveness. http://www.scripturecatholic.com/confession.html

• Advertisement

Matt. 9:8 - this verse shows that God has given the authority to forgive sins to "men." Hence, those Protestants who acknowledge that the apostles had the authority to forgive sins (which this verse demonstrates) must prove that this gift ended with the apostles. Otherwise, the apostles' successors still possess this gift. Where in Scripture is the gift of authority to forgive sins taken away from the apostles or their successors? http://www.scripturecatholic.com/confession.html

1 Tim. 2:5 - Christ is the only mediator, but He was free to decide how His mediation would be applied to us. The Lord chose to use priests of God to carry out His work of forgiveness. http://www.scripturecatholic.com/confession.html

Again you are missing the point - You want to confess to a priest go ahead, no where does it say you need to... that a priest is the only mediator between man and god.

Again you are missing the point - You want to confess to a priest go ahead, no where does it say you need to... that a priest is the only mediator between man and god.

I'm afraid that it is you who is missing the point and not reading scripture properly,

John 20:23 - Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained." In order for the apostles to exercise this gift of forgiving sins, the penitents must orally confess their sins to them because the apostles are not mind readers. The text makes this very clear.

Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and man. But that does not preclude Jesus from applying His role as mediator anyway He sees fit. In fact, right before Paul says that "Jesus is the one mediator" (1 Tim 2:5), Paul appeals for mediation from others besides Christ, by urging that "supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all men" (1 Tim 2:1). How can Paul appeal to mediation from others if Jesus is our only mediator? Because, as St. Paul answers, "this is good, and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Tim 2:3-4). Therefore, although Jesus is our one mediator, He has charged us to be intercessors, or subordinate mediators with Him. We are able to do this by virtue of our baptismal priesthood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

j'edward the confessor, religion some people are a hoot

I'm afraid that it is you who is missing the point and not reading scripture properly,

Jesus Christ is the one mediator between God and man. But that does not preclude Jesus from applying His role as mediator anyway He sees fit. In fact, right before Paul says that "Jesus is the one mediator" (1 Tim 2:5), Paul appeals for mediation from others besides Christ, by urging that "supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all men" (1 Tim 2:1). How can Paul appeal to mediation from others if Jesus is our only mediator? Because, as St. Paul answers, "this is good, and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Tim 2:3-4). Therefore, although Jesus is our one mediator, He has charged us to be intercessors, or subordinate mediators with Him. We are able to do this by virtue of our baptismal priesthood.

OK how you interpet this is different to how I interpret this.

If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained.

You see this as some kind of gift held only by the appostals - I see it as a message for everyone.

You seem to want to hold to some kind of imaginary hirarchy, also you add you own understanding of something or the understanding you have been lead to believe.

THIS IS NOT FACTS.

You see this as some kind of gift held only by the appostals - I see it as a message for everyone.

you say it is a message for everyone, yet earliar you call Jesus the only one mediator between God and man, troubling to your argument to say the least. nowhere does it say in the passages that it is a message for everyone, it can only be carried out by those given the sacrament of Holy orders, therefore given to the apostles and their succesors.

It was given to the apostles and their succesors, as also the following Scripture reads:

2 Cor 2:10 ''10 And to whom you have pardoned any thing, I also. For, what I have pardoned, if I have pardoned any thing, for your sakes have I done it in the person of Christ.

2 Cor. 2:10 - Paul forgives in the presence of Christ (some translations refer to the presences of Christ as "in persona Christi"). Some say that this may also be a reference to sins.

2Cor:5:18 18 But all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Christ; and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation. 19 For God indeed was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not imputing to them their sins; and he hath placed in us the word of reconciliation.

2 Cor. 5:18 - the ministry of reconciliation was given to the ambassadors of the Church. This ministry of reconciliation refers to the sacrament of reconciliation, also called the sacrament of confession or penance.

I'm off to bed now, and thus terminating our conversation.

If you wish to question more the sacrament of Penance and reconciliation I invite you to visit www.scripturecatholic.com and give John Salza ( Catholic apologist ) an e-mail with your queries into the faith.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

You would be wrong here. The RCC does not depend on one source - the bible- it depends on one source - Christ.

the bible enables people to know about Christ but christians didn't have the bible in the sense of a whole single copy of the New Testament in on e place -for the first 400 years of Christianity.
    Roman Catholics would therefore also believe in a parallel oral tradition. the would believe in other non biblical works such as the creed and other church doccuments. they would also believe in the magesterium and the secession of Bishops and the special place of clergy.

Clergy are supposed to represent Christs life in their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think the simplest answer is that many Irish Catholics no longer have as much respect in terms of the church's moral authority. On the one hand, the sacrament of confession puts a heavy emphasis on the idea of individual sinners admitting their sins and taking responsibility for their actions - and on the other hand, there is at the very least a perception that the church and it's various extensions have avoided doing exactly that, over an extended period of time.

Rightly or wrongly, I think the idea of listing off ones sins to a representative of the Vatican has gotten a little hard to stomach for a lot of people.

I'm not trying to stir, but that does seem the most obvious explanation to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

I think the simplest answer is that many Irish Catholics no longer have as much respect in terms of the church's moral authority. On the one hand, the sacrament of confession puts a heavy emphasis on the idea of individual sinners admitting their sins and taking responsibility for their actions - and on the other hand, there is at the very least a perception that the church and it's various extensions have avoided doing exactly that, over an extended period of time.

Rightly or wrongly, I think the idea of listing off ones sins to a representative of the Vatican has gotten a little hard to stomach for a lot of people.

I'm not trying to stir, but that does seem the most obvious explanation to me.

It is an obvious and fair explanation. it is also WRONG!
    What you have wrong is that clergy represent the Vatican. There is no necessity for the Vatican in the RCC. There is a necessity for clergy. You list off your sins to God not to the vatican or any representative of them.

Put it this way which may help i hope. If you go nto a n accountant he is a qualifies accountant. You don't report your bank accounts to the ACCA nor does he. He does however from time to time recieve letters fro revenue and ACCA telling hin "this is our current position" . If you then come in and say you have an apartment you bought he can tell you haw the tax implications have changed. He is a qualified person who is meant to keep abreast of these things.

I understand the idea, yes, but the OP isn't asking why I don't go to confession; he's asking why so many Irish Catholics don't. That's the explanation I'd venture: a perception, correct or otherwise, of institutional hypocrisy, and a substantial loss of respect for the church's claim to moral authority.

I think mass and confession are probably two of the most visible examples, but they're just symptoms of a larger trend in this country of people getting a less dogmatic in their religious practices as the church has lost status. Though still technically Christian, I don't there are many "Catholics" in this country that really qualify as such under any strict interpretation of the term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

This is something that bugs me. Why have so many people stopped going to confession? It's a shame really.

I think it's a clear example of the secularization that the Pope spoke about in his pastoral letter. The Bishops need to start encouraging people to avail of the sacrament more often.

kelly1 wrote: »
    This is something that bugs me. Why have so many people stopped going to confession? It's a shame really.

I think it's a clear example of the secularization that the Pope spoke about in his pastoral letter. The Bishops need to start encouraging people to avail of the sacrament more often.

In my opinion, the Irish Bishops need tell their flock in the clearest of terms to confess and repent or don't present themselves for Holy Communion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

In my opinion, the Irish Bishops need tell their flock in the clearest of terms to confess and repent or don't present themselves for Holy Communion.
    Ideally yes but it wouldn't go down well in the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Let them try.:mad:

Well you would probably end up with a lot of people simply shrugging and going "Yeah, I don't really believe in this"

At least you would trim the honest believers from the cultural Catholics and give a more accurate representation of RCC in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The Bishops need to start encouraging people to avail of the sacrament more often.

Dare I suggest that the Bishops need to be seen to be taking some of their own medicine. Lead by example and all that.

One of the a more interesting stories I've heard in relation to the scandals was about a priest who went on a walk of penance around Ireland for the sins of the church. I seem to remember that he was in his 70's and it was a long walk!

• Advertisement

Dare I suggest that the Bishops need to be seen to be taking some of their own medicine. Lead by example and all that.

One of the a more interesting stories I've heard in relation to the scandals was about a priest who went on a walk of penance around Ireland for the sins of the church. I seem to remember that he was in his 70's and it was a long walk!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1230/1224261407734.html

Fr Mernagh? A lonely light in the dark of the RCC at the moment.

Pussy-footing bishops don't go down well either.

A bishop who is not in a pretty much permanent state of grace is not fit for office imo. Granted, we're all sinners, but when bishops do sin (and they do), they should go out of their way to confess without delay when they're engaged in such important work of the Church. My humble opinion anyway. Don't know if it matters at all.

Anyway, my view is that if the people are rotten, it's no surprise that this spreads to the clergy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Maybe Holding a national confession day for Catholics once a year and making a celebration out of it could work quite well.

When I was involved with the RC, our church had 'open' confession a couple of times a year and it was always a very joyous occasion. I assumed all Catholic churches had something similar...

you cant be viewing the clergy as some sort of immaculate being who never sins, we are all called to religious life in the sacrament we partake, whether it be Matrimony or Holy orders.

the Bishops should be confessing and using the sacrament themselves surely but you cant say because a bishop doesnt go to confession I'm not going to him for the Sacrament of Confession. Your not going to him, your going to Christ, who forgives your sins through him, if your gonna judge truth by conduct then you might as well throw out your Bibles as all its inspired authors are sinners.

Splendour I'm aware of that, but as a Catholic who just previously returned to the Church I wasnt aware of it at all until I enquired into the faith.

there are many Catholics like me who dont have a clue, therefore there needs to be a special date set aside to celebrate the sacrament and it needs promotion from behind the pulpit.

Any Catholic who is anti-confession is ultimately anti-Catholic and by going to communion without recieving confession is the equivelent to dipping the Body of our Lord into a pile of excrement.

but as wicknight pointed out ( and I point out too ) although it would be preached from the pulpit, people could still just not bother going to confession. But the preaching is at least planting that seed again and again, and we must pray for people to go to confession for when we feel moved to a Sacrament it is always the grace of God that moves us.

What I always found hilarious was the fact that people tell their sins to you whilst out in the public houses yet they are too afraid at the thought of going to confession. Wake up, the devil doesnt want us there, thats why we are afraid to go, for scripture says in perfect love there is no fear, and the devil uses your ignorance ( conditioning and programming) in order to get his way and he often succeeds, so I see.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Anyway, my view is that if the people are rotten, it's no surprise that this spreads to the clergy.

Ummm.............WTF!

The clergy were the vicitms? You mean the rapists were only doing what the "people" were already doing? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sparkfire

I am a practising Catholic yet I never go to Confession and I probably never will. I have always been deeply uncomfortable with the apparent 'authority' of priests who supposedly have the power to forgive me my sins. I believe that we are all equal before God and that forgiveness is issued by God alone. I simply do not understand why God would need to issue forgiveness through another human being. Indeed some of the recent problems of the church could be attributed to the deference of ordinary Catholics to clergy because of this 'authority'.

Ummm.............WTF!

The clergy were the vicitms? You mean the rapists were only doing what the "people" were already doing? Really?

Er, how did you get that from what he said? :confused:

I think is point was that the priesthood is not made up of supermen, it is a microcosm of wider society made up of ordinary people.

We get rapists and child abusers in wider society, so it is not surprising we get rapists and child abusers in the priesthood.

the Bishops should be confessing and using the sacrament themselves surely but you cant say because a bishop doesnt go to confession I'm not going to him for the Sacrament of Confession. Your not going to him, your going to Christ, who forgives your sins through him, if your gonna judge truth by conduct then you might as well throw out your Bibles as all its inspired authors are sinners.

I don't think it's so much about confession for Bishops as such, or sinning in itself among the clergy, but about taking responsibility for it. The church has not, in the eyes of many, taken responsibility for some truly appalling things done in it's name and in it's houses; but individual clergymen still expect to be heeded when they instruct others on how to be absolved of sin? Their credibility is severely damaged and people have lost confidence in them - and they have been terribly slow to recognise or address such concerns.

This attitude:

is, IMHO, indicative of a kind of cancer at the heart of the modern RCC's philosophy. More time is spent figuring out new ways to explain that problems definitely aren't their fault than is spent trying to actually address the problems. As though it is enough to suggest that somehow the blameless shepherd was simply misled by his flock.

I would suggest that, as much as confession is an individual obligation for Catholics, it is also the responsibility of the Church to promote it as such, and to see to it that there is no reason for the general parishioner to be reluctant in doing so.

sparkfire wrote: »
    I am a practising Catholic yet I never go to Confession and I probably never will. I have always been deeply uncomfortable with the apparent 'authority' of priests who supposedly have the power to forgive me my sins..

+1
    As a child and going to confession with school etc I was always uncomfortable with the idea too. Since returning to Christianity in the last few years it is still something I cannot bring myself to do. If I can pray directly I can confess directly, and often do, I don't need to go to a priest to ask him/pray to him each timeI want to communicate with God so I don't feel the need to do so with confession.

...this is, IMHO, indicative of a kind of cancer at the heart of the modern RCC's philosophy. More time is spent figuring out new ways to explain that problems definitely aren't their fault than is spent trying to actually address the problems. As though it is enough to suggest that somehow the blameless shepherd was simply misled by his flock..

That is not what was being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I've never had a problem going to confession. I might not have liked doing it as a kid (facing up to all the things you've done wrong and that), but I never had a moral objection to the idea.

That said, I would always go to confession in a confessional, I really dont like the idea of doing it face to face with a priest (that's what she said), the only time i've confessed outside a confessional was in Rome and the expression on his face was really off-putting.

It's only natural to feel weird when confessing to a priest, to assume that you are confessing to him rather than through him. A confessional is a good way to get over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

sparkfire wrote: »
    I am a practising Catholic yet I never go to Confession and I probably never will. I have always been deeply uncomfortable with the apparent 'authority' of priests who supposedly have the power to forgive me my sins. I believe that we are all equal before God and that forgiveness is issued by God alone. I simply do not understand why God would need to issue forgiveness through another human being. Indeed some of the recent problems of the church could be attributed to the deference of ordinary Catholics to clergy because of this 'authority'.

When I was in the Catholic church I always had a problem with the system of confession. When my eyes were opened to the Word I was relieved to know that confessing our sins to a fellow sinner was not required for forgiveness.

1 John 1:9 says: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. We dont need to confess our sins to anyone but God to recieve forgivenenss. I never understand the Catholic persons need to add a "middle man" when we can go straight to the source.

What I always found hilarious was the fact that people tell their sins to you whilst out in the public houses yet they are too afraid at the thought of going to confession.

A great point. Something for the advocates of church-bashing to think about.

prinz wrote: »
    If I can pray directly I can confess directly, and often do, I don't need to go to a priest to ask him/pray to him each timeI want to communicate with God so I don't feel the need to do so with confession.

You might like to think that. You need to listen to the words of absolution, the sacramental forgiveness of the Church through the ordained priest. Some of the best words I have ever heard have been imparted to me through an ordained priest in the confession box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement