Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 HSE Ambulance Service Recruitment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

Parafox wrote: »
    Are there any further classes being run from this panel?

There was an email yesterday looking for expressions of interest from people on the panel. So I can only assume there is a plan to run a class.

But only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The next class are apparently due to start at the end of February, those remaining on the current panel will be offered places with any additional class places possibly being offered to the Defence Forces.

It's worth noting that the Irish Defence Forces have been investing large amounts of money and resources into training Soldiers to EMT, Paramedic, Advanced Paramedic level through NASC and UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

I heard the same as Bang Bang, expressions of interest for people on that panel have gone out for a class due to start in Feb 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fittond

Does that give us any inclination to when the hse might start a new recruitment drive??? im on the brink of trying to move abroad to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

Bang Bang wrote: »
    The next class are apparently due to start at the end of February, those remaining on the current panel will be offered places with any additional class places possibly being offered to the Defence Forces.

It's worth noting that the Irish Defence Forces have been investing large amounts of money and resources into training Soldiers to EMT, Paramedic, Advanced Paramedic level through NASC and UCD.

It's only a suggestion but could the additional class places not be offered to some of the new ICO / EMT already within NAS. Surely some of these people would have ambitions of becoming Paramedics. Should there not be an internal competition before looking outside to other organisations?

• Advertisement

It's only a suggestion but could the additional class places not be offered to some of the new ICO / EMT already within NAS. Surely some of these people would have ambitions of becoming Paramedics. Should there not be an internal competition before looking outside to other organisations?

Currently there is no internal route within the HSE for a staff member to train and operate to the level of Paramedic, if there was then those members of the public out there who are looking to become a Paramedic would certainly have a gripe, and certainly those who just missed out on gaining a position on the Paramedic panel would have a valid argument.

There is at least one ICO in the proposed ten positions offered, this staff member applied for both positions, sat interviews for both positions and was successful at both.

In my opinion I think it's not the ideal way to recruit, as in internal offerings. Reasons I'd list is unfairness to the general public with an interest in a career as a Paramedic and also some people may apply for certain positions within the NAS, positions they may not have an interest in, but apply for all the same with the hope of gaining a Paramedic qualification at some time in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

You have to remember that the current ICO's are still inside their probationary year and it's a bit early in the day to be offering upskilling, however i think that after 2-3 years, with a good track record, an ICO should be eligible to apply for an opportunity to upskill.
    Maybe an internal panel could be created and a small number of ICO's could make up a paramedic class with the rest of the positions coming from external applicants. I think it's only fair that ICO staff who show a genuine interest are given an opportunity to progress, but obviously they would have to go through a selection process including an interview.
    Anyway, delighted to hear the rest of the panel is being used, a friend has been waiting since 2010 and he didn't think it would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 superserg78

There is at least one ICO in the proposed ten positions offered, this staff member applied for both positions, sat interviews for both positions and was successful at both.

In my opinion I think it's not the ideal way to recruit, as in internal offerings. Reasons I'd list is unfairness to the general public with an interest in a career as a Paramedic and also some people may apply for certain positions within the NAS, positions they may not have an interest in, but apply for all the same with the hope of gaining a Paramedic qualification at some time in the future.

How is it unfair?
    This person has obviously shown a great interest in the field of Pre Hospital Care and has wanted a career in the NAS for several years. Anybody could have applied for both positions , as in his/her case. He/She was obviously good enough to secure both, which can only be of ultimate value to the patient.

I would congratulate this person and ask people to not be bitter.

I am currently on the ICO panel and hope that, by this person's progression, I may get my call sooner, rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

How is it unfair?
    This person has obviously shown a great interest in the field of Pre Hospital Care and has wanted a career in the NAS for several years. Anybody could have applied for both positions , as in his/her case. He/She was obviously good enough to secure both, which can only be of ultimate value to the patient.

I would congratulate this person and ask people to not be bitter.

I am currently on the ICO panel and hope that, by this person's progression, I may get my call sooner, rather than later.

To be honest I don't think there would be a huge number on the ICO panel that would make the requirements to apply for paramedic positions but if they do meet all the requirements I do think they should be able to apply for the posts

I would rather see a stepping stone way of recruitment/progression where you begin as EMT on ICV's and after 2 years you can progress on to Paramedic with it culminating in you being eligible to apply for the AP course. But....this isn't whats in the pipeline for the time being. Maybe in a few years when there are more ICO's and NAS can afford to lose the staff but at the minute we need more ICO staff not less.

• Advertisement

The 'stepping stone' system of progression was used by the Ambulance Service for many years when each area had it's own 'Health Board Ambulance Service'.
    You applied via the patient transport service and would eventually get the opportunity to 'move', 'up-skill' or train, call it what you will, to work on an ambulance, but the system didn't work because many PTS staff didn't make the grade when it came to emergency ambulance work.
    Now we have a recruitment process suitable for two different levels of clinical care.

With absolutely no disrespect to ICO's or any EMT's, Paramedic training is a completely different level, much higher and this level is not suitable to all ICO/EMT's.
    The current recruitment process allows for the NAS to see from the start who is suitable or who may have the talent to train to the level of Paramedic and who is more suitable to the Intermediate Care Service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

medic780 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think there would be a huge number on the ICO panel that would make the requirements to apply for paramedic positions

Why? What makes you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

With absolutely no disrespect to ICO's or any EMT's, Paramedic training is a completely different level, much higher and this level is not suitable to all ICO/EMT's.

Also why? And what makes you think its not suitable to all ICO's/EMT's?

Medic475 wrote: »

Why? What makes you think that?

Due to the fact that 90% of the people that I know on the panel do not have their leaving cert done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭5500

medic780 wrote: »
    Due to the fact that 90% of the people that I know on the panel do not have their leaving cert done.

Hardly a reason in this day an age alone to disqualify people from following a certain career path of their choice? One of my good friends is in his second year of medicine, he's 28 now and never did a junior or leaving cert, likewise I've a couple of friends with hons degree's attained in nursing and guess what? No leaving cert.

Just because someone for whatever reason didn't sit the leaving cert shouldn't entirely rule them from being a paramedic, if they can display the aptitude to pass the tests like anyone else and have shown their interest by completing EMT ect then they should be let apply just like anyone else.

If they cant pass the tests then so be it, but the leaving cert for what it is shouldn't be a bench mark as such and without it pigeon hole you to being an ICO only.

5500 wrote: »

Hardly a reason in this day an age alone to disqualify people from following a certain career path of their choice? One of my good friends is in his second year of medicine, he's 28 now and never did a junior or leaving cert, likewise I've a couple of friends with hons degree's attained in nursing and guess what? No leaving cert.

Just because someone for whatever reason didn't sit the leaving cert shouldn't entirely rule them from being a paramedic, if they can display the aptitude to pass the tests like anyone else and have shown their interest by completing EMT ect then they should be let apply just like anyone else.

If they cant pass the tests then so be it, but the leaving cert for what it is shouldn't be a bench mark as such and without it pigeon hole you to being an ICO only.

Due to the fact that the requirements from the HSE in the last round of recruitment for trainee paramedics was that you needed to have a leaving cert with maths and science/EMT yes this would rule these people out. Unless the requirements change that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭5500

I'm actually surprised it wasn't or wont be contested by anyone, the HSE seemed to point the finger of blame at UCD for making the requirements, but its contradictory to every current course that they run already in that "mature" students can openly apply regardless of past state results and are assessed on an individual basis / aptitude test.

Medic475 wrote: »
    Also why? And what makes you think its not suitable to all ICO's/EMT's?

Based on the number of ICO's and EMT's I know who have openly stated that they would not be suited to and/or would not be interested in the role of the Paramedic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sparky32

Does anyone know if the HSE are recruiting this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

sparky32 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the HSE are recruiting this year?

It looks like yes, but if anyone is interested in joining the NAS as a paramedic,you should already have read the 2012-2014 NAS plan,this outlines what recruitment is required.
    So if your interested get looking it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anam12

Hi
    Got an expression of interest email for the emt class due to start in February,replied but no word back yet. Has anybody else heard anything ?

anam12 wrote: »
    Hi
    Got an expression of interest email for the emt class due to start in February,replied but no word back yet. Has anybody else heard anything ?

I would expect you will hear something soon, the class is expected to start end of Feb........... That is if they can get all the bits and bobs done......... Best of luck!

anam12 wrote: »
    Hi

EMT class? What are you posting about?

antichrist wrote: »

EMT class? What are you posting about?

I assume they mean Paramedic class 15..........

stevie06 wrote: »
    I assume they mean Paramedic class 15..........

Yeah, I got that...but if you've applied for a job and are eager to get recruited the least you can do is know and use the proper title

antichrist wrote: »

Yeah, I got that...but if you've applied for a job and are eager to get recruited the least you can do is know and use the proper title
    True, but I guess the confusion comes from the HSE referring to it as trainee EMT program......... :D

stevie06 wrote: »
    True, but I guess the confusion comes from the HSE referring to it as trainee EMT program......... :D

Its called EMT paramedic....same as AP's are called EMT - Advanced Paramedic

4534823549_a5b24e5078.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anam12

Thanks for your help Stevie06.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Any news on class 15 starting on the 18th

• Advertisement

The very best of luck to the class of trainee Paramedics who commenced their training today.

Advertisement